Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Mayor Barletta/Hazleton, PA
Yes. It's Time To Stop Illegal Immigration NOW! 61 82.43%
No. Legal Immigrants are Feeling the Squeeze. 5 6.76%
Undecided. 2 2.70%
Where's Hazleton? Who's Barletta? 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 PM

32,639 posts, read 77,985,601 times

Advertisements

Considering I reside in the same county as Hazleton, PA, a community of 25,000 residents that has been in the national spotlight recently for the immigration issue, I was just curious for your insights into the situation there. Mayor Lou Barletta has been hailed as a "hero" by thousands and cruised to an easy re-election victory in his party in the recent May primaries for his tough stance on illegal immigration.

Essentially, Mayor Barletta proposed legislation (that was approved by council) that made it illegal to rent or employ an illegal alien in the city limits, and those who either rented to or employed illegals would be fined. Considering Hazleton has a rapidly-growing Hispanic population, this issue has divided the community. My main gripe with his legislation is that while I agree that illegals are ruining our nation by taking advantage of its services without paying for their upkeep, he also knew that most of the residents of Hazleton are already prone to prejudice and racism. He's just added a bit of "fire" under their butts, and now all Hispanics in the city---illegal and legal alike---are feeling very unwelcomed by the growing hostilities there.

I believe it was Stalin who said "When you chop wood, chips fly." In this sense, is it okay to press onward with these efforts to thwart illegal immigration if already-existing legal Hispanic immigrants are likewise feeling the pain? If so, then how would you explain that to these people without coming off as a racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 PM

989 posts, read 2,769,151 times
I do not support cities openly advocating illegal immigrants come move there. However, if you were to look at the overall damage done by Illegal Immigrants vs. the (Federal) damage done by local governments offering huge "corporate welfare" packages to crybaby companies, there isn't much comparison. Sure, the company brings jobs, but I read an article in (I think) Newsweek that estimated that those $30K/year jobs cost about $120K/year each. Illegal immigration sucks, but at least you are not cutting them a check for the pleasure.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM

398 posts, read 1,413,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I do not support cities openly advocating illegal immigrants come move there. However, if you were to look at the overall damage done by Illegal Immigrants vs. the (Federal) damage done by local governments offering huge "corporate welfare" packages to crybaby companies, there isn't much comparison. Sure, the company brings jobs, but I read an article in (I think) Newsweek that estimated that those $30K/year jobs cost about $120K/year each. Illegal immigration sucks, but at least you are not cutting them a check for the pleasure.

Internal problems of our country are not an excuse to import similar defects. Instead, immigrants should be those ones who in exchange of having the great opportunity of coming to the best nation in the world, have the right skills and education to replace those bad Americans. However, the vast majority of current immigrants, come here without skills and without education, of course they commit crimes because they need to survive, and then use the excuse "some Americans do the same too"

What is this!? a Circus?

Old 06-05-2007, 09:18 PM

398 posts, read 1,413,466 times
And forgot to add. I support 100% Major Barletta. I think every single community accross the nation should be organized in a similar way.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM

233 posts, read 441,594 times
Wink Thanks to that mayor

For proving he isn't afraid of these illegals! Wish he was the mayor of my town, but my town is starting to open their eyes (with a little help), you'd be surprised how much information you can give out while waiting at the checkout at the grocery store! I bought a pack of index cards with me and listed some websites on there for people to check out and each time someone in the line made a remark about "where are these people coming from" I chatted to them and gave them a card............I'm thinking those of us against this amnesty plan will be getting some more support!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,481,029 times
I support 100% Major Barletta. I think every single community accross the nation should be organized in a similar way.

Ditto

Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 AM

4,802 posts, read 8,783,033 times
Hazelton's ordinance is built around an ordinance created for San Bernardino by Save Our State founder, Joseph Turner. I wish more cities would grow the necessary twinkies to enact similar legislation. Go Hazelton and Mayor Barletta!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,461,062 times
Thumbs up Wat to go Lou!!!

As you all know, am I living here in Hazleton/ PA at the moment, and I agree with Lou Barletta and the planned ordinance 100%.
You have no idea what life is like here, and what is going on here, especially at night, or in the daytime, for that matter.
Don't get me wrong....the people here are still incredibly nice and all.
But, I would NEVER, EVER dare to go downtown at night, where all the illegals hang out together.
Residents here get yelled at, shown the fingers, provoked (mainly and formost in spanish, and you can tell, they are not yelling "Good morning!")...
People here want their city back!
People here want their freedom back!
Poeple here want their safety back!
People here WELCOME legal foreigners....me for one , and alot of legal immigrants from other countries live here already for generations.
Let's face it...illegal immigrants drain this infrastracture, leaving hardly any resources for others, legal residents here.
And, the sad truth and fact is, illegals come with a lot of gang, drug and violent activities....and people are just SO SICK AND TIRED of it......
We are trying to "re-claim" our city, and trying to enforce the laws of the United States....the very country, those illegals are coming to.
If they don't like the laws and orders we have here...well, don't even come, or go back and bring your own country to the knees, and suck it dry there!

If some people, would act in their own countries, the way they run amok here, they would be EXECUTED on the spot!
So why are they doing their crap here?????
Because WE let it all happen, and we are way to soft
There is no back-up, but rather a "sell out" from the government to us legal residents, unless a iron clad, solid immigration reform is being placed, and the borders are sealed!
That's just my opinion, mixed with some facts, and I am sticking to it!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 31,655 times
"A federal judge on Thursday struck down the city of Hazleton's tough anti-immigration law, ruling unconstitutional a measure that has been copied around the country."

"....Even if federal law did not conflict with Hazleton's measures, the city could not enact an ordinance that violates rights the Constitution guarantees to every person in the United States, whether legal resident or not,'' he added.

$$$, time, effort, frustration, alienation

there's got to be a better way of solving this...

Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM

354 posts, read 328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudTex View Post
"A federal judge on Thursday struck down the city of Hazleton's tough anti-immigration law, ruling unconstitutional a measure that has been copied around the country."

"....Even if federal law did not conflict with Hazleton's measures, the city could not enact an ordinance that violates rights the Constitution guarantees to every person in the United States, whether legal resident or not,'' he added.

$$$, time, effort, frustration, alienation

there's got to be a better way of solving this...
There is a better and faster way. It just happens that the average American is too much of a coward to do it.

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot
survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable,
for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves
amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling
through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself.
For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar
to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he
appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He
rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night
to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so
that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear."

--Marcus Tullius Cicero, 42 BC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration