Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,397,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have to agree with you on the bolded section. I don’t believe most illegals truly desire citizenship. They simply want legalization. They want to have the legal right to work in this country, and to get as much as they can. I would even venture to say, they don’t even like this country. They simply perceive the U.S. as being ripe for the picking. In other words, we are being used. It also doesn’t hurt that they can give birth here and receive benefits through their US-born children.
It seems to me that alot of your opinions are based on assumptions. How many undocumented immigrants have you personally spoken to you who told you they were only here to exploit us for the benefits? I know many and none have ever said anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,581,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
It seems to me that alot of your opinions are based on assumptions. How many undocumented immigrants have you personally spoken to you who told you they were only here to exploit us for the benefits? I know many and none have ever said anything like that.
No assumptions are necessary. From your own experiences with illegal aliens, you have concluded that they don’t want citizenship, and they have no desire to remain in this country. They want to earn money here, and then return to their countries to build homes and start businesses. What is that if not using this country for personal gain? You certainly didn’t mention them wanting to give back to this country. I won’t even get started on the freebies they receive courtesy of their US-born children. No need in beating a dead horse.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,070,238 times
Quote:
I won’t even get started on the freebies they receive courtesy of their US-born children. No need in beating a dead horse.
Agree because you guys never have real percentages, just "absolute truths" When you make generalizations like the following, you all lose all credibility:

According to this board all Illegal aliens:
All have anchor babies
They ALL apply for welfare benefits
None of them Pay Taxes and somehow get tax refunds
They all get sick and abuse emergency services
They all hate white Americans and call them stupid

And then you see threats like the Russian economist or 2010 one and one has to wonder if you all are writing from your home/workplace or from some other institution

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
That's a trickier subject. If that were strictly enforced and all employers had to do an immediate backlog e-verify on their entire payroll you'd literally be seing factories and restaurants closing down because they wouldn't have the necessary staff to keep running.

For companies that don't have conditional job offer forms or some other type of legal protection could have legal problems with just suddenly terminating an employee if they didn't have a legitimate reason to do the ID check (such as an allegation).

I guess I have a hard time believing the federal government could mandate something like that. Usually when those types of processes change so drastically, already existing employees would be grandfathered as they were hired under a previous process.
Any company that cannot survive without cheap illegal labor deserves to fold.

Companies aren’t required to rely on conditional job offers to terminate employees. If that were the case, embezzlers could only be fired under specific circumstances. Furthermore, federal laws prohibit the employment of illegal aliens. Thus, employees who falsify info on I-9 forms can most definitely be terminated without legal recourse. A company is well within its legal rights to audit personnel files for discrepancies; and fraud is certainly just cause for termination. Moreover, most employment is at-will.

How would a grandfather clause be applicable for illegal aliens? The current laws clearly state that one must be lawfully present in this country to obtain employment. A grandfather clause would only apply if a new law specified that one must be legal to work, while the old law permitted illegal employment.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
No assumptions are necessary. From your own experiences with illegal aliens, you have concluded that they don’t want citizenship, and they have no desire to remain in this country. They want to earn money here, and then return to their countries to build homes and start businesses. What is that if not using this country for personal gain? You certainly didn’t mention them wanting to give back to this country. I won’t even get started on the freebies they receive courtesy of their US-born children. No need in beating a dead horse.
I'm pretty confused, what do you mean giving back to the country? Do you want anyone who touches our soil to be forced to do community service or serve in our military? Really, what are you talking about? They are providing their employment to an employer based on the assumption that the employer had a need for labor. What have you done for the country lately that was so great anyway?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Agree because you guys never have real percentages, just "absolute truths" When you make generalizations like the following, you all lose all credibility:

According to this board all Illegal aliens:
All have anchor babies
They ALL apply for welfare benefits
None of them Pay Taxes and somehow get tax refunds
They all get sick and abuse emergency services
They all hate white Americans and call them stupid
Only 75% of illegals have US-born offspring – or, as you would say, anchor babies.
Many do receive welfare, but not ALL.
Some do pay taxes, and some do in fact receive refunds.
They are in fact bankrupting hospitals.
I have never stated that all illegals hate white America.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty confused, what do you mean giving back to the country? Do you want anyone who touches our soil to be forced to do community service or serve in our military? Really, what are you talking about? They are providing their employment to an employer based on the assumption that the employer had a need for labor. What have you done for the country lately that was so great anyway?
No, I don’t expect illegals to serve in our military. Heaven forbid! However, they could volunteer for community service. After all, this country has been very generous. As far as I’m concerned, they can take their ill-gotten gains and leave.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Any company that cannot survive without cheap illegal labor deserves to fold.

Companies aren’t required to rely on conditional job offers to terminate employees. If that were the case, embezzlers could only be fired under specific circumstances. Furthermore, federal laws prohibit the employment of illegal aliens. Thus, employees who falsify info on I-9 forms can most definitely be terminated without legal recourse. A company is well within its legal rights to audit personnel files for discrepancies; and fraud is certainly just cause for termination. Moreover, most employment is at-will.

How would a grandfather clause be applicable for illegal aliens? The current laws clearly state that one must be lawfully present in this country to obtain employment. A grandfather clause would only apply if a new law specified that one must be legal to work, while the old law permitted illegal employment.
Unless you're an attorney you have no idea what you're talking about so don't even try to pretend you do. Employers have to follow U.S. laws but you must understand that they also have to protect themselves from potential litigation.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Unless you're an attorney you have no idea what you're talking about so don't even try to pretend you do. Employers have to follow U.S. laws but you must understand that they also have to protect themselves from potential litigation.
I will not engage in a tit for tat. I stand by my comments; and I do in fact know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,070,238 times
Quote:

For companies that don't have conditional job offer forms or some other type of legal protection could have legal problems with just suddenly terminating an employee if they didn't have a legitimate reason to do the ID check (such as an allegation).
I don't think that's the case. I have seen plenty of people getting fired from big corporations for having expired work permits. Trust me big corporations know the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration