Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM

335 posts, read 328,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Don't we have bigger fish to fry than harping about "illegal immigrants"? How many of those who are so worked up about this are in jeopardy of losing their job to an "illegal immigrant" from Mexico? Additionally, how many would willingly work that $7 an hour (or worse) job all of these immigrants are taking? Hell, high school kids won't even take them anymore. How about focusing on the corporations who move jobs to other countries, taking away $15-$20 an hour jobs that many here would gladly work? Though I guess that would be Anti-Redneck American to go after someone who's not helpless.
Pull your head out of the sand, dude. Many Americans have already lost their jobs to illegal aliens. By the way, a large percentage of illegal aliens are from countries other than Mexico. Also, many high school kids are still willing to work at minimum wage jobs in order to earn some pocket money or to save up for their first car. This is as true today as it was 10, 25, or 50 years ago in this country.

And how about knocking off labeling people who are opposed to illegal immigration as "rednecks". You just make yourself look foolish by doing so. A large percentage of Americans, including large numbers of whites, blacks, Latinos, and Asians are opposed to illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
I think globalization and the fact that we get so much crap from China has hurt us more than illegal immigration has.

It all boils down to corporate greed. Instead of paying Americans decent wages and proving benefits, corporations would rather pay a Chinese citizen $2.00 an hour to make the same thing.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:08 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I think globalization and the fact that we get so much crap from China has hurt us more than illegal immigration has.

It all boils down to corporate greed. Instead of paying Americans decent wages and proving benefits, corporations would rather pay a Chinese citizen $2.00 an hour to make the same thing.
Illegal immigration and outsourcing both hurt the American worker. The difference with outsourcing vs illegal immigration is the foreign worker is not living in our country sucking up our tax dollars, commiting crimes, etc. Outsourcing tends to hurt the middle class worker where illegal immigration tends to hurt the lower paid blue collar worker. Blue collar workers are the backbone of our country. If you weigh everything, illegal immigration hurts us more.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Illegal immigration and outsourcing both hurt the American worker. The difference with outsourcing vs illegal immigration is the foreign worker is not living in our country sucking up our tax dollars, commiting crimes, etc. Outsourcing tends to hurt the middle class worker where illegal immigration tends to hurt the lower paid blue collar worker. Blue collar workers are the backbone of our country. If you weigh everything, illegal immigration hurts us more.

I won't sit here and say illegal immigration hasn't hurt us but outsourcing has hurt us more. A lot of times you need the middle class to help keep the lower class people in work. If the middle class aren't out there shopping, there is less need for retail clerks (and it's not like they get paid a lot), waitresses, etc.

I'm all for ending illegal immigration. I just don't like this rabid hatred some people have for illegal immigrants and I hate all the name-calling that goes on sometimes. I'm not saying you are doing this but I have seen it on this board.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I won't sit here and say illegal immigration hasn't hurt us but outsourcing has hurt us more. A lot of times you need the middle class to help keep the lower class people in work. If the middle class aren't out there shopping, there is less need for retail clerks (and it's not like they get paid a lot), waitresses, etc.

I'm all for ending illegal immigration. I just don't like this rabid hatred some people have for illegal immigrants and I hate all the name-calling that goes on sometimes. I'm not saying you are doing this but I have seen it on this board.
I don't see this so-called rabid hatred on this board for illegal aliens that you do. I think you are confusing it with frustration, a sense of helplessness and dispair over our government's collusion with the corporate elite to leave our borders unprotected from economical terrorists and real terrorists and criminals and these feelings just naturally spill over to the other guilty party and that is the illegals themselves. I think you probably have read all the examples of how illegals are affecting our lives quite negatively in this forum. You are reading more in to it than it is. Not calling you a pro-illegal but you are doing the same thing they do. They call us anti-illegals haters, racists, etc. when for the most part that isn't what we are about at all.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The politcians are bought and paid for by the cheap labor corporations. They don't "love" illegals but they love the corporation donations and of course the easy votes.

The problem is, the politicians are not working for the American people, they are not trying to increase employment of Americans, they care nothing about increasing wages, our standard of living. Americans are inconvenient. They want a more pliable kind of voter, and of course unlimited cheap labor for their beloved corporations and elites.

malamute; yepppppppppppppppp never ceases to amaze me, never changes DOES IT.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Yes, I DO feel 'stabbed in the back'. AS far as the racism goes, that exists in many societies; sometimes it's 'put to the test', sometimes not.

In the matter of anger, frustration, and 'targeting' people? When a society feels betrayed by its leaders, that's to be expected....

We shouldn't HAVE to be angry at illegals, because they shouldn't be here. Illegals shouldn't be angry at us, either..they should be angry at the unfair conditions in their own nations.

And as far as those pesty, nosey Minutemen we all 'love to hate'? THEY shouldn't be out there either; if law enforcement was doing its job, and if our leaders and elected officials were doing likewise, there wouldn't BE any illegals for The Minutemen to 'pester'.

Am I feeling betrayed? Plenty!...3 million illegals were 'forgiven' with the stroke of a pen in 1986...and today, the anger, resentment, and sense of frustration on the part of TODAY'S illegals is TEN times worse than it was back then.

When is 'enough enough'? When is illegally crossing a border finally going to be seen as the 'fault' of the person who does it, rather than someone else's?

I'm tired of being a 'xenophobic grouch' and a 'bad guy' because others won't do their job. Closing your border to unauthorized entry is no more evidence of 'hatred for illegals' than locking your house means that you 'hate the passing public'. What an UTTER load of 'bio-solids'.

Yes, I DO feel 'stabbed in the back', now that you mention it. Thanks for asking.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Stabbed in the back ? NO
Failed by our elected reps? Absolutely.
A back stabbing is a willful deliberate attack. As in a personal attack. That would indicate that our elected reps cared one way or another about we the people. The fact is that their actions indicate a total indifference.
The 1 thing they do care about is power. They recognize the potential of the hispanic vote and are doing what ever it takes to get it. They also understand that most Americans are short term thinkers and have a very short memory. They also understand that most Americans put very little effort into fact checking. In other words they can lie to us and get away with it come election time.
As applied to illegal immigration. They know that the majority of US citizens are against an amnesty and want something done about these illegals in our country. They also know that we can be distracted by mud slinging and non-issues. For example how many got re-elected on the anti-war or end the war platform? How many of those also voted to go to war? How many later claimed that they were lied to?
How many expressed outrage that our troops were not provided adequate armor? Yet they were also the ones who voted against upgrades.
How many claimed to be for a balanced budget? How many also take full advantage of pork? Can't have it both ways.
Legal immigration is a great thing for this nation. It is controled and it brings in what this nation needs. Illegal immigration is chaos and can only result in additional burdens for our nation.
So our elected reps have failed us but not stabbed us in the back. They dont care about us enough to stab us in the back.
This is so true. Sad, but true. Everything you said is true. The points about having a short memory, about not checking facts and knowing that we are distracted by mud slinging.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Do you feel stabbed in the back by illegal immigration and the government's handling of it?

My family came here in 1680, to start a new life in a land where opportunity existed. This is not unlike the plight of hispanic families now. Why should I dislike the hispanics for doing exactly what my family did (we also arrived without papers) also......why would I suspect the government capable of doing anything efficiently?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah, honestly I don't think amnesty is the way to go either, although I think it'd be better than doing nothing since it'd hold them more accountable for paying taxes, make sure they are licensed and insured to drive, etc. Despite what you hear, the majority of illegal immigrants in the country aren't interested in staying here. They just want to work their butt off for several years until they make enough money to build their house, start up a business, etc. back home. Some will then decide they like it here and stay, but there are alot who have other plans. I do think it's important to control the immigration problem first, with the most cost effective and proven way being to roll out E-verify to all companies nationwide and then effectively enforcing it and holding companies accountable. When that's done and we start to see an unmet demand for all of this unskilled low wage labor we could organize some kind of temporary-work visa which will tax the individuals in some way (obviously not with resident benfits like social security, medicare, etc.) and allow them to stay here as long as they are working. I think that would be a better overall solution.
I don't know if I can agree with that. Why would they want to leave here? The illegal immigrants that I know have been here for at least 10 years or maybe 5 years or even as little as 3. The population is growing and my theory is that that of course will make them more interested in staying. Plus, the law of enforcement of laws make it even more profitable to stay here. In the case of Mexican illegal immigrants, you think they would leave here without any pressure to return to Mexico? If they are able to continue here while not being known of (as illegal residing and working here) then I don't think they are thinking about leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration