Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Apparently “demagogue” is the new flavor of the week to vilify law-abiding citizens opposing amnesty. What happened to the “rule of law,” Mr. President?

Quote:
(CNSNews.com) - At a joint press conference with Mexican President Felipe Calderon and the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Guadalajara, Mexico on Monday, President Barack Obama referred to American opponents of amnesty for illegal aliens as “demagogues.”

Obama was asked by a reporter whether “given the fight that you're having to wage for health care, I wonder if you can tell us what you think the prospects are for immigration reform, for comprehensive immigration reform, which you've said is your goal; and whether you think that the blows you're taking now on health care and that the Democrats are likely to take around the midterm elections will make it hard, if not impossible, to achieve comprehensive immigration reform in this term and what you've told President Calderón about that?”

“Now, am I going to be able to snap my fingers and get this done? No,” said Obama. “This is going to be difficult; it's going to require bipartisan cooperation. There are going to be demagogues out there who try to suggest that any form of pathway for legalization for those who are already in the United States is unacceptable. And those are fights that I'd have to have if my poll numbers are at 70 or if my poll numbers are at 40. That's just the nature of the U.S. immigration debate.
CNSNews.com - Speaking in Mexico, Obama Calls American Opponents of Immigration Amnesty ‘Demagogues’ (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/52527 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,055 times
And if the economy tanks even more in the future, which is likely, should I, as well as many others, still be considered demagogues just because we believe in the rule of law and that jobs in the US should go to US citizens first?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
And if the economy tanks even more in the future, which is likely, should I, as well as many others, still be considered demagogues just because we believe in the rule of law and that jobs in the US should go to US citizens first?
Yep (to hear the ethno-centric traitors say it )

Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Apparently “demagogue” is the new flavor of the week to vilify law-abiding citizens opposing amnesty. What happened to the “rule of law,” Mr. President?

CNSNews.com - Speaking in Mexico, Obama Calls American Opponents of Immigration Amnesty ‘Demagogues’ (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/52527 - broken link)
Christ!

Just to think I voted for that man.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
we already did amnesty it did not stop illegal immigration in fact made it worse.
dont throw our laws in the trash can mr president, enforce them please.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
I'm afraid that Mr. Obama has a rather dim view of MANY Americans...not only those who oppose amnesty. He's not too fond of World War II vets, either, from what I gather....not too proud of MOST of what the US has done over the past century or so, and not a bit shy in saying so, to anyone who will listen...particularly in locations outside the US.

"Demagogues" doesn't surprise me, coming from this man. (At least he didn't call them 'vigilantes' the way Bush Jr. might have)..

Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm afraid that Mr. Obama has a rather dim view of MANY Americans...not only those who oppose amnesty. He's not too fond of World War II vets, either, from what I gather....not too proud of MOST of what the US has done over the past century or so, and not a bit shy in saying so, to anyone who will listen...particularly in locations outside the US.

"Demagogues" doesn't surprise me, coming from this man. (At least he didn't call them 'vigilantes' the way Bush Jr. might have)..
Well, one thing I like about our president is that he is a very well rounded person. He has travelled the world and lived outside the US. That is very important as far as looking at things from an outside perspective. You also have to remember that we Americans are seen as "unworldly". So our views are Americans for many are dim.

I belive you when you say that he is not fond of WWII vets but I have never heard of any statement like that. If there is anything we should be proud of as Americans is our participation in WWII and our WWII Vets deserve every honor for that.

Demagogues? They do exist...many, but I also think that there are Americans that are not xenophobic and just trully do not believe in legalizing a group of people that were not allowed in the first place.

This is just one definition of demagogue:

Quote:
to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
Demagogue Definition | Definition of Demagogue at Dictionary.com

Many here do use data that is purposely false for their political agenda. ie... snopes.com: Just One State - Cost of Illegals in Los Angeles
There are a number of emails that are forwarded with wrong data. Prejudice is always displayed by some antis. Here on the forum and outside of the forum. So the correct term is used but it does not apply to everyone.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:46 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Well, one thing I like about our president is that he is a very well rounded person. He has travelled the world and lived outside the US.
The exact same things could be said about Dwight Eisenhower.

Quote:
That is very important as far as looking at things from an outside perspective. You also have to remember that we Americans are seen as "unworldly". So our views are Americans for many are dim.
In all honesty, it does not bother me if the other countries view us as 'dim' or 'unworldly'. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What does bother me is that we are the first people these individuals with 'outside perspective' come running to when it hits the fan, in spite of their apparent disdain for the US. That is blatant hypocrisy.

I think it is safe to say that a number of leaders of Latin American countries have freely spoken of the low esteem in which they hold the US, Hugo Chavez comes to mind. Yet when swine flu broke out, what do they do but head for Uncle Sucker, I mean Uncle Sam, hat in hand to ask for a donation of 420,000 doses of tamiflu (an antiviral used in the treatment of swine flu).

Quote:
U.S. to Provide Antiviral Medication to Latin America and the Caribbean for Novel H1N1 Influenza

HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced today that the United States will provide 420,000 treatment courses of Tamiflu (Oseltamavir) to the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO) to fight the novel H1N1 influenza in Latin America and the Caribbean.
U.S. to Provide Antiviral Medication to Latin America and the Caribbean for Novel H1N1 Influenza

Why publicly insult the US, then expect us to hand over part of our stockpile of drugs? Why didn't these countries plan ahead and have their own antiviral stockpiles? Why doesn't Hugo Chavez use some of his oil money to buy the 420,000 doses of medication that he and his amigos need? If the situation were reversed, would Chavez be sending us tamiflu to save the lives of the 'blue eyed devils' or whatever that crackpot calls us? These folks are probably holding a burning American flag and a sign that says 'Death to the Yanqui Gringo!' in one hand and and shoveling tamiflu tablets into their mouths with the other hand.

In short, other countries can think hold negative opinions of the US. Just don't show up on our doorstep when you need something.

Quote:
I belive you when you say that he is not fond of WWII vets but I have never heard of any statement like that. If there is anything we should be proud of as Americans is our participation in WWII and our WWII Vets deserve every honor for that.

Demagogues? They do exist...many, but I also think that there are Americans that are not xenophobic and just trully do not believe in legalizing a group of people that were not allowed in the first place.

Many here do use data that is purposely false for their political agenda. ie... snopes.com: Just One State - Cost of Illegals in Los Angeles
There are a number of emails that are forwarded with wrong data. Prejudice is always displayed by some antis. Here on the forum and outside of the forum. So the correct term is used but it does not apply to everyone.

Last edited by andreabeth; 08-15-2009 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Well, one thing I like about our president is that he is a very well rounded person. He has travelled the world and lived outside the US. That is very important as far as looking at things from an outside perspective. You also have to remember that we Americans are seen as "unworldly". So our views are Americans for many are dim.

My gripe with Obama is not that he doesn't have a right to his opinion....it's that he sought out the job...(which he now has) of representing and leading, and guiding THE UNITED STATES. That's his job..that's what he's supposed to be doing. His job is NOT to go around the world apologizing for the 'cloddish' actions of the American people...his job is NOT to 'explain' why America does all the 'bad' things it does, nor to try to be 'liked' by everyone out there.

If Obama acted like the President of the US, instead of some sort of 'apologist', I'm sure that he...(and the rest of us) WOULD be 'liked' by a lot more people....and those who didn't LIKE us would at least be forced to admit that they respected us.

I don't see that happening now. In many cases, we're neither liked NOR repected, and Obama's blatant 'kissing up' is compounding the problem. The world is a tough place, and FEW people respect a leader who doesn't respect those he is SUPPOSED to be defending.

By the way, if you want FURTHER clarification, I refer you to Andreabeth's last post (above). Brilliantly stated, it explains a LOT of what I don't like about Obama's position. Enough already with the "Kick Me" sign on our backs. Act like the leader of the free world....you MIGHT just find that you're 'liked' for doing your JOB, not for acting like some groveling international sycophant worried about being 'liked'.

Just a suggestion, of course. Obama has never asked for my advice...yet.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:25 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
My gripe with Obama is not that he doesn't have a right to his opinion....it's that he sought out the job...(which he now has) of representing and leading, and guiding THE UNITED STATES. That's his job..that's what he's supposed to be doing. His job is NOT to go around the world apologizing for the 'cloddish' actions of the American people...his job is NOT to 'explain' why America does all the 'bad' things it does, nor to try to be 'liked' by everyone out there.

If Obama acted like the President of the US, instead of some sort of 'apologist', I'm sure that he...(and the rest of us) WOULD be 'liked' by a lot more people....and those who didn't LIKE us would at least be forced to admit that they respected us.

I don't see that happening now. In many cases, we're neither liked NOR repected, and Obama's blatant 'kissing up' is compounding the problem. The world is a tough place, and FEW people respect a leader who doesn't respect those he is SUPPOSED to be defending.

By the way, if you want FURTHER clarification, I refer you to Andreabeth's last post (above). Brilliantly stated, it explains a LOT of what I don't like about Obama's position. Enough already with the "Kick Me" sign on our backs. Act like the leader of the free world....you MIGHT just find that you're 'liked' for doing your JOB, not for acting like some groveling international sycophant worried about being 'liked'.

Just a suggestion, of course. Obama has never asked for my advice...yet.
Blame that one on George Bush and his wars. Obama has nothing to do with America not being liked or respected. He has even done a better Job of uplifting America's image around the world since he became president. Obama is absolutely right that there are demagogues on this issue, and sorry that your feelings are hurt that he pointed that out.

Quote:
The image of the United States has improved markedly in most parts of the world, reflecting global confidence in Barack Obama. In many countries opinions of the United States are now about as positive as they were at the beginning of the decade before George W. Bush took office
http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=264
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration