Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,429,612 times

Advertisements

No Amnesty for illegals. That would be a slap in the face of those immigrants who came to the US LEGALLY

No free healthcare for Illegals. Life threatening illness / injury are treated. The rest are turned away - as is now being done in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,670,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Then why did you try to portray them as such in the first place?

So vilifying those who support a fair, humane comprehensive immigration reform based on sound judgment, facts, respect for the rule of law, and love for this country is okay? Because that is what you guys do to anyone who has a different point of view concerning this issue.
Oh please, where did I state that “ALL” who oppose amnesty are law-abiding? Oh wait. . . . I didn’t. That was simply YOUR spin.

Please enlighten me on how a citizen can respect the rule of law, and have love for this country -- while simultaneously supporting foreign invaders who flagrantly disrespect our laws, abuse our generosity, displace our workers, deflate wages, decimate neighborhoods, steal our identities, bankrupt our hospitals, overcrowd and create huge budget deficits in our schools, desecrate our flag, and victimize our citizens. . . . to name a few.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Since when did you become omniscience Benicar? My support for him is based on a myriad of issues, not on just one issue. I believe one issue voters are pretty pathetic...don't you?
Let’s not play games. The passage of either CIR or the DREAM Act is a VERY personal issue for you, and we both know it. And yes, I agree a one-issue voter is pathetic. BTW, I voted for Obama.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:01 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,339,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Let’s not play games. The passage of either CIR or the DREAM Act is a VERY personal issue for you, and we both know it. And yes, I agree a one-issue voter is pathetic. BTW, I voted for Obama.
As did I re: voting for Obama----------and, Sheriff Joe.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,625,661 times
Quote:
Blame that one on George Bush and his wars. Obama has nothing to do with America not being liked or respected. He has even done a better Job of uplifting America's image around the world since he became president. Obama is absolutely right that there are demagogues on this issue, and sorry that your feelings are hurt that he pointed that out.

Confidence in Obama Lifts U.S. Image Around the World: Overview - Pew Global Attitudes Project
You're DARN RIGHT my feelings are hurt....YOURS should be, too. Obama is our president..it's his job to represent us to the world, not sneak around criticizing us in front of foreign audiences.

Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else, would respect a man...OR a woman...who went two doors down the street and proceeded to unload to the neighbor family about how disapponted they were in their "stupid" spouse...or their "dumb" kids. That's family business; it should be handled in the home.

Criticizing portions of the American public, overseas, is the job of writers and intellectuals and scholars...it is NOT the job of a sitting President. "You got a problem with ME, Mr. President, you tell me to my FACE"....If Obama is disappointed in the 'demagogues' (stupid term, anyway), then let him confront them at a 'Town Hall Meeting"...or a news conference, AT HOME, in the US. Fair enough?

Oh, well...perhaps this embarrassing display will usher in a refreshing new era of 'openness' after all. Who knows..maybe next month Mexican President Calderon will speak in New York..or in LA. Maybe he'll complain to his US audience how "disgusted" he is with his 15 million illegals now living in the US...maybe he'll call them "border-jumping scofflaws", and maybe he'll apologize to us...the American people...for all the "hassle" they've caused.

Maybe, in a spirit of candor, he'll go on to spell out how embarrassed he is about the whole Mexican system...a system that treats its people SO 'shabbily' that TEN PERCENT of them have now 'fled', to go live 'next door'..HERE. Maybe he'll call the ruling class of Mexico "Plutocrats"..or "Oligarchs"...or just plain "selfish".

I wouldn't hold my breath, though...because if Calderon DID this, neither WE...NOR the Mexican people...would have ONE IOTA of respect for him...and he'd PROBABLY be 'out of a job' before his plane landed on his return to Mexico City. The Mexicans would rightly call him a 'disloyal turncoat'...and I wouldn't blame them.

That's a LIITLE bit like some Americans just now are feeling about Obama.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're DARN RIGHT my feelings are hurt....YOURS should be, too. Obama is our president..it's his job to represent us to the world, not sneak around criticizing us in front of foreign audiences.

Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else, would respect a man...OR a woman...who went two doors down the street and proceeded to unload to the neighbor family about how disapponted they were in their "stupid" spouse...or their "dumb" kids. That's family business; it should be handled in the home.

Criticizing portions of the American public, overseas, is the job of writers and intellectuals and scholars...it is NOT the job of a sitting President. "You got a problem with ME, Mr. President, you tell me to my FACE"....If Obama is disappointed in the 'demagogues' (stupid term, anyway), then let him confront them at a 'Town Hall Meeting"...or a news conference, AT HOME, in the US. Fair enough?

Oh, well...perhaps this embarrassing display will usher in a refreshing new era of 'openness' after all. Who knows..maybe next month Mexican President Calderon will speak in New York..or in LA. Maybe he'll complain to his US audience how "disgusted" he is with his 15 million illegals now living in the US...maybe he'll call them "border-jumping scofflaws", and maybe he'll apologize to us...the American people...for all the "hassle" they've caused.

Maybe, in a spirit of candor, he'll go on to spell out how embarrassed he is about the whole Mexican system...a system that treats its people SO 'shabbily' that TEN PERCENT of them have now 'fled', to go live 'next door'..HERE. Maybe he'll call the ruling class of Mexico "Plutocrats"..or "Oligarchs"...or just plain "selfish".

I wouldn't hold my breath, though...because if Calderon DID this, neither WE...NOR the Mexican people...would have ONE IOTA of respect for him...and he'd PROBABLY be 'out of a job' before his plane landed on his return to Mexico City. The Mexicans would rightly call him a 'disloyal turncoat'...and I wouldn't blame them.

That's a LIITLE bit like some Americans just now are feeling about Obama.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:33 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,339,026 times
And; after reading macmeal's post............I have a very 'sick' feeling this is going to snowball against Obama and the Democrats as a group.

Now; the $64 million question is; will the Republicans pick up the ball that was just thrown their way?

Old 08-15-2009, 04:41 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,697,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; after reading macmeal's post............I have a very 'sick' feeling this is going to snowball against Obama and the Democrats as a group.

Now; the $64 million question is; will the Republicans pick up the ball that was just thrown their way?
As a former republican I can tell you this ---

Those rat ba**ards won't. They will be too busy hispandering (and yes, that is what it amounts to) hoping to gather the more 'traditional' illegals into their evangelical base - talk about killing two birds with one stone, eh?

The leadership and politicians of both parties want votes, power and money and not necessarily in that order. It is up to the people to hold them accountable. What gives me hope is that whenever there is a poll about illegal immigration those that oppose it come in all political stripes. People who are ultra conservative and those that are ultra liberal have common ground on this one issue.

If Obama (and lets be fair, it would be the same if McCain won) thinks the health care town halls are ugly just wait for the amnesty ones.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,331,265 times
Not at all surprised that Obama would make such a statement. Its the trend of his Admin to lable anyone who disagrees with them.
Sort of like the comment afraid to let go of their guns and religion when describing country people.
Nazi's because they disagree with Obama care. Yes the republicans do the same thing. Waving their flag and calling anyone who was against the war unpatriotic. DC Politics at its worst. Add to the mix Chicago politics and it gets even lower.
So anyone who is against rewarding illegals is a Demaogue?
How about we just believe that anyone wishing to make a home in our country enter legally and obey all of the laws required to do so? How about we feel that as a nation we have a right to set our own standards?
How about we just feel that anyones whose first statement upon entering is "F" you and your laws are unacceptable and do not meet the minimum standard?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
They can pick up the ball but there's not enough of them to play the game through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration