Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,566,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0rdfish View Post
I'm talking about definitions (from a dictionary) not misconceptions of racism. I agree, it can be a complex issue if we ignore the purpose of a dictionary.
Does your dictionary define "illegal immigrant"? or "Losing (a job)"?....
Does it discuss the meaning of "concern"(as might be experienced by someone losing a job)? Does it define who determines whether people are "concerned" about something or not?
Does it define "ridiculous"..or "preposterous"...or "ludicrous"? How about "lying", "stretching the truth", or "evading the issue"?

Last edited by macmeal; 02-17-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,577,209 times
Quote:
This is the position of NCLR:
NCLR responded to Norwood's conditions apology in a point-by-point press release defending its policies, which it claims have never been racially or ethnically exclusionary, never supported and does not endorse the notion of a “Reconquista” or “Aztlán,” has never used, and unequivocally rejects, the motto “Por La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada", has supported numerous measures to ensure that all Americans have the freedom to choose where to live, and stated that its programs are already covered by civil rights laws administered by independent agencies at the federal, state, and local level.It also disputes the charge that it supports illegal immigration, constantly reiterating its support for effective and reasonable border security and immigration-law enforcement. In a speech in San Diego, NCLR CEO Janet Murguía stated: "First, as a sovereign nation, the United States has the right to determine who comes and who stays. . . [It also] has a right to consider enforcement at a variety of levels, including border enforcement, interior enforcement, and workplace enforcement. . . We support enforcement...[because] as Americans, we recognize it's the right thing to do
La Raza may ‘claim’ to represent legal Hispanics, but their actions indicate otherwise. They have vehemently fought every immigration enforcement effort, and are foremost among opponents of E-Verify. They were also instrumental in the Senate backroom trickery during the last attempt to pass amnesty. Their refusal to differentiate between legal and illegal immigration, and their campaign to silence all opposition, are testaments to their intellectual dishonesty. I have no respect for these human peddlers.

Admittedly, they may have previously had benevolent motives. Sadly, like so many other so-called advocacy groups, they have lost their way to greed. Their altruism and good intentions have been supplanted by the lucrative cheap (illegal) labor industry.

I listen to what others may say, but as the old adage states: “Actions speak louder than words.”

Old 02-17-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
La Raza may ‘claim’ to represent legal Hispanics, but their actions indicate otherwise. They have vehemently fought every immigration enforcement effort, and are foremost among opponents of E-Verify. They were also instrumental in the Senate backroom trickery during the last attempt to pass amnesty. Their refusal to differentiate between legal and illegal immigration, and their campaign to silence all opposition, are testaments to their intellectual dishonesty. I have no respect for these human peddlers.

Admittedly, they may have previously had benevolent motives. Sadly, like so many other so-called advocacy groups, they have lost their way to greed. Their altruism and good intentions have been supplanted by the lucrative cheap (illegal) labor industry.

I listen to what others may say, but as the old adage states: “Actions speak louder than words.”
There are certain posters on the forum who are 'opposed' to illegal immigraton, then go into long tirades at the mention of limiting it, containing it, criticizing it, discussing it, mentioning any negative effects from it, or failing to praise it.

After hearing all THAT, it's sometimes exceedingly difficult to remember that they are (according to them), nevertheless opposed to it.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,139,602 times
Quote:
I'm talking about definitions (from a dictionary) not misconceptions of racism. I agree, it can be a complex issue if we ignore the purpose of a dictionary.
Misconceptions of racism, kinda like that stuff the president (or spokesperson) of "La Raza puts out! Any org. that can call itself " THE RACE " is defining it's self. While you are looking up words in the dictionary why don't you try "bigot", or perhaps "anglophobe"???? I agree on one point though, it is a complex issue!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,577,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
There are certain posters on the forum who are 'opposed' to illegal immigraton, then go into long tirades at the mention of limiting it, containing it, criticizing it, discussing it, mentioning any negative effects from it, or failing to praise it.

After hearing all THAT, it's sometimes exceedingly difficult to remember that they are (according to them), nevertheless opposed to it.
How true! It reminds me of a relative who always smells like a distillery, yet according to him, he “never touches the stuff.” And gets quite indignant if anyone insinuates he’s been drinking.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How true! It reminds me of a relative who always smells like a distillery, yet according to him, he “never touches the stuff.” And gets quite indignant if anyone insinuates he’s been drinking.
I've seen this syndrome in action. It's probably the incesssant nagging of his relatives that CAUSES him to drink in the first place....you don't think he WANTS to drink, do you?.....

Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 PM

103 posts, read 140,486 times
Quote:
Does your dictionary define "illegal immigrant"? or "Losing (a job)"?....
Does it discuss the meaning of "concern"(as might be experienced by someone losing a job)? Does it define who determines whether people are "concerned" about something or not?
Does it define "ridiculous"..or "preposterous"...or "ludicrous"? How about "lying", "stretching the truth", or "evading the issue"?
Lets start by saying that IS NOT MY DICTIONARY, the one that I use is from Cambridge University and is meant to define words NOT EXPRESSIONS or people emotions.
The fact that this dictionary doesn't support your believes don't make the dictionary be wrong.
One thing is for sure: People get very emotional with this issue.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Lets start by saying that IS NOT MY DICTIONARY, the one that I use is from Cambridge University and is meant to define words NOT EXPRESSIONS or people emotions.
The fact that this dictionary doesn't support your believes don't make the dictionary be wrong.
One thing is for sure: People get very emotional with this issue.
You're right...a LOT of us get emotional.....particularly when the dictionary doesn't support our 'believes'.....and especially when we can't find our 'people emotions' listed therein.
Want to know MY BELIEVE? My believe is that YOUR believe is WHRONG....it's PHALSE...and your 'people emotions' are EROGENOUS. I may not be WRIGHT, but that's my believe....dictionary or no.

Pardon me for bringing emotion into a normally polite, logical, and reasonable discussion. What must I have been THINKING ???

Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM

103 posts, read 140,486 times
Quote:
You're right...a LOT of us get emotional.....particularly when the dictionary doesn't support our 'believes'.....and especially when we can't find our 'people emotions' listed therein.
Want to know MY BELIEVE? My believe is that YOUR believe is WHRONG....it's PHALSE...and your 'people emotions' are EROGENOUS. I may not be WRIGHT, but that's my believe....dictionary or no.

Pardon me for bringing emotion into a normally polite, logical, and reasonable discussion. What must I have been THINKING ???
Good for you. I never tried to change your believes, I just tried to understand your position. Is something wrong with that?
That's why I asked you. If NCLR is racist to what race are they representing?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,755,223 times
Anybody else catch that big whooshing noise.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.