Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,339,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Maybe they can argue over immigration in the yard.
Works for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,625,661 times
Quote:
I dont know. All crime is bad. But I'm more worried about a crime where hate is a big factor as opposed to a crime where greed is a big factor.

Crimes based on greed are a little more random. Crimes based on hate are pretty selective.
I won't argue the fact that 'hate crimes' have a uniquely devastating effect, though I often feel the idea is corrupted by politics, "PC", and the like. I believe there is a rationale to this, though it's sometimes unfairly administered.

That's why several independent studies have confirmed the very obvious fact that it's far less devastating psychologically to lose a loved one in a fatal car accident, than it is to to lose one to murder...two VERY different things. And it's not nearly as bad for people who lose relatives in a plane crash, as it is when a plane is brought down by terrorists.

Still, in 'real numbers', true hate crimes are very rare, compared to 'regular' crimes.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Trust me, the crimes committed by illegals get more attention than crimes committed by citizens toward illegals.
With all due respect, and without having the figures at hand to 'prove' anything, I'd bet a good deal of money that you're wrong on this. I'd say, off hand that crimes committed by illegals are often 'covered up', with no mention of their status if at all possible..while I can PROMISE you that in MY area, at least, any crime committed against an illegal, especially when the 'perp' had the 'illegality' of the victim in mind, would quickly be given 'front page coverage'....at least that's how it is in my area.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,779,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
With all due respect, and without having the figures at hand to 'prove' anything, I'd bet a good deal of money that you're wrong on this. I'd say, off hand that crimes committed by illegals are often 'covered up', with no mention of their status if at all possible..while I can PROMISE you that in MY area, at least, any crime committed against an illegal, especially when the 'perp' had the 'illegality' of the victim in mind, would quickly be given 'front page coverage'....at least that's how it is in my area.
To go even further, I wonder if theres been any crimes committed against illegals that have gone unreported.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
To go even further, I wonder if theres been any crimes committed against illegals that have gone unreported.
In the past, probably often. Today? It's very unlikely, IMHO.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In the past, probably often. Today? It's very unlikely, IMHO.
For example, I heard that in a certain southern city, illegal immigrant flop houses were being home invaded by local thugs since illegals of course didnt have a bank account and had their money stashed.

Crimes like that aren't the type that get reported.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
For example, I heard that in a certain southern city, illegal immigrant flop houses were being home invaded by local thugs since illegals of course didnt have a bank account and had their money stashed.

Crimes like that aren't the type that get reported.
Not just illegal immigrants-------many times when the Vietnamese arrived here 20-30 years ago, they fell prey to Viet gangs and dared not call the police.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not just illegal immigrants-------many times when the Vietnamese arrived here 20-30 years ago, they fell prey to Viet gangs and dared not call the police.
A lot of gangs get bigger from the immigrant community needing protection. When youre new in a country and the local boys are robbing, raping, and attacking you, youre going to look at the people that are like you who are offering their "help" when youre too scared to go to the police.

From MS-13 to the Russian Mob to the Sicilian mafia.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
A lot of gangs get bigger from the immigrant community needing protection. When youre new in a country and the local boys are robbing, raping, and attacking you, youre going to look at the people that are like you who are offering their "help" when youre too scared to go to the police.

From MS-13 to the Russian Mob to the Sicilian mafia.
Chinese Tongs, and even the Irish Catholics had similar 'syndicates'.

What I do find odd is that the Japanese, Germans, Poles, Hungarians, Scots, and Scandinavians as a group were not noted for their ethnic gang activity once they arrived here in the States. And at least the Poles and Hungarians were usually Catholic as well.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Chinese Tongs, and even the Irish Catholics had similar 'syndicates'.

What I do find odd is that the Japanese, Germans, Poles, Hungarians, Scots, and Scandinavians as a group were not noted for their ethnic gang activity once they arrived here in the States. And at least the Poles and Hungarians were usually Catholic as well.
The Japanese supposedly have their Yakuza organized crime, but I dont know how much of that is sensationalized.

And Jewish people from any of those countries have done their share of dirt in this country.

Im not convinced that gang activity in the U.S. is because of ethnicity or culture.

I think the groups that happened to be the lower class during the crack epidemic were the ones who ended up with the reputation for being more violent than their predecessors.

The times changed, not the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration