Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM

63,917 posts, read 47,059,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Strange isn't it that law abiding foreign students pay a much higher rate of tuition but the liars and cheats are rewarded with the lowest rate. What a rip off to those doing things the legal and right way.
What about the lying and cheating employers of illegal workers?

What about the consumers who have benefitted from the labors of illegal workers?

Who do you think built tens of millions of houses, repaired and remodeled them in border states and beyond.?

Consumers want all the benefits of illegal labor but none of the consequences. "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,512,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

What about the consumers who have benefitted from the labors of illegal workers?

Who do you think built tens of millions of houses, repaired and remodeled them in border states and beyond.?

Consumers want all the benefits of illegal labor but none of the consequences. "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".
My house was built in 1957. It wasn't built by fence jumpers.

I have a contractor I use for repair/renovation work in my house. He's a corn-fed Midwestern guy.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I was living abroad 10 years ago. I've never voted for Rick Perry.

How do I "benefit"? Can you prove that these illegals are not a net drain on our state coffers? As for me personally, I don't hire them and I don't patronize businesses whom I suspect of hiring illegals. And yes, that does greatly limit my restaurant options...but I'm a woman of principle. I avoid "benefiting" from illegal labor wherever I can. I'd be a hypocrite otherwise.
As you know, after three terms, Perry is retiring in 2014. No practical way for the next governor to turn back time.Texas state comptrollers consistently demonstrated that illegal immigrants produced more in state revenues than they received in state services. I have no idea if this remains true.

It's quite likely your residence was built on the backs of illegal employees, regardless if you own or rent. It's likely illegal employees have been repairing/remodeling, all along. In some states, it is impossible to avoid consuming anything that was not touched by an illegal employee.

That you go out of your way to not support businesses that employ illegal workers is admirable. You are clearly in the minority.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
My house was built in 1957. It wasn't built by fence jumpers.

I have a contractor I use for repair/renovation work in my house. He's a corn-fed Midwestern guy.
You are in the minority.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,944,519 times
It gets even better though. The public college I received my masters from has a taxpayer funded work study and most of those who get it are foreign students! I was rejected for it and they said they didn't have enough money for everyone but because foreign students can't get other assistance they got it first. The sick irony is I had to take out loans and they couldn't so many are not in debt but I am still.

Got to love this crooked state where they tell citizens to deal with it.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,512,425 times
Quote:
You are in the minority.
I don't know about that, but I'm certainly not a hypocrite.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,999,790 times
Quote:
I don't know about that, but I'm certainly not a hypocrite.
Agreed and I won't hire illegal aliens either.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:16 PM

63,552 posts, read 29,660,016 times
Quote:
Rick Perry signed this into law about ten years ago.

It's a tad inconsistent for some residents of the great state of Texas to have benefitted from illegal workers for decades and not expected there to be any consequences. Of course this is not limited to Texas.
Wrong. Only the greedy employers benefit from cheap, illegal labor. Regular tax paying citizens do not. They have to pick up the tab for their social costs via their taxes and have their wages reduced and their job opportunities diminished. Why are you defending these people? Don't our immigration laws mean anything to you?

Quote:
How about imposing a huge state tax on those who have and continue to employ illegal workers? That would likely be perceived as a War on Small Business and politically unacceptable.
Then push for e-verify if you truly care. All of us anti-illegals want that to happen so that these greedy employers can't get away with this anymore and that they be fined heavily if they don't comply. Since when is enforcing our immigration laws a war on small business or any other business?

Quote:

Again, it is not your regular taxpayer that benefits from cheap, illegal labor. It is only the greedy employers that do. The rest of us pick up the tab for their social costs and suffer lost job opportunities and reduced wages. I suggest you bone up on this subject because you are not informed on it at all.

Quote:
As you know, after three terms, Perry is retiring in 2014. No practical way for the next governor to turn back time.Texas state comptrollers consistently demonstrated that illegal immigrants produced more in state revenues than they received in state services. I have no idea if this remains true.

It's quite likely your residence was built on the backs of illegal employees, regardless if you own or rent. It's likely illegal employees have been repairing/remodeling, all along. In some states, it is impossible to avoid consuming anything that was not touched by an illegal employee.

That you go out of your way to not support businesses that employ illegal workers is admirable. You are clearly in the minority.
Why would that be likely? We have always had a large blue-collared American workforce and a large number of them work construction. But since the influx of millions of illegal aliens who work cheaper those Americans lost their jobs but you're ok with that? Really?

How does one know which employers hire illegal aliens and those who do not? Can I borrow your crystal ball? So don't buy anything because it "might" have been built or touched by an illegal alien? You're kidding, right?

Quote:
You are in the minority.
No, she isn't! Most Americans do not employ illegal aliens.

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2013 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: 5 (!) posts in a row merged, PLEASE LEARN TO MULTI QUOTE

Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,318,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So how are you turning qualifying for in-state tuition rates into qualifying for "financial aid"?...
My step daughter who would enter the country legally would have to spend close to 30 grand a year more than someone paying instate tuition. I would say allowing an illegal to pay the instate rate is financial aid.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,872,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
My step daughter who would enter the country legally would have to spend close to 30 grand a year more than someone paying instate tuition. I would say allowing an illegal to pay the instate rate is financial aid.
Reviewing the post I was commenting on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Very bad. Far too many Americans cannot afford college or are facing huge loans and how unfair that foreigners with "undocumented" incomes can grab up all the financial aid. No illegal should get financial aid until each American student has it. What other country gives preference to foreigners breaking its laws over citizens?
Student financial aid in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's using it in a context that a "foreigner" (illegal or legal doesn't really matter much to "malamute") concealing income to get "financial aid" at a university or college (of course, without saying how they qualify for such aid). This is not the same as qualifying for in-state tuition (the actual topic title, despite the deflections). Even the answers I received on my reply are convoluted, it seems to be a challenge around here to stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration