Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

A group of eight Democratic and Republicans senators, including Florida’s Marco Rubio, will officially release a wide-ranging immigration plan Monday that could give a pathway to citizenship, tighten border security and increase guest-worker permits.

The five-page plan from the bipartisan “Gang of Eight” contains most of the key concepts Rubio has presented to conservative media figures over the past month. The senators, still working on the specifics, want to draft legislation by March.

Most controversially, the proposal would give a pathway to residency — and even citizenship — to many of the estimated 11 million immigrants unlawfully in the United States.

Read more here: Rubio, Senate ‘Gang of Eight’ unveil bipartisan immigration deal - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A group of eight Democratic and Republicans senators, including Florida’s Marco Rubio, will officially release a wide-ranging immigration plan Monday that could give a pathway to citizenship, tighten border security and increase guest-worker permits.

The five-page plan from the bipartisan “Gang of Eight” contains most of the key concepts Rubio has presented to conservative media figures over the past month. The senators, still working on the specifics, want to draft legislation by March.

Most controversially, the proposal would give a pathway to residency — and even citizenship — to many of the estimated 11 million immigrants unlawfully in the United States.

Read more here: Rubio, Senate ‘Gang of Eight’ unveil bipartisan immigration deal - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com
Eight Republicans?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
As long as the path is not easy, not quick, I wont have an issue with it. Id like to see the bill. And if securing our borders isnt a per-requisite then this whole exercise will be worthless. We will be facing this issue again in 10 years time or so. I swear, I will go bonkers if doing more to secure the border isnt a part of this.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Eight Republicans?
LOL.
When a lib writes a post that has even dotbob puzzled, you know something's off.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
As long as the path is not easy, not quick, I wont have an issue with it. Id like to see the bill. And if securing our borders isnt a per-requisite then this whole exercise will be worthless. We will be facing this issue again in 10 years time or so. I swear, I will go bonkers if doing more to secure the border isnt a part of this.
One thing about Rubio, he supports it now, but if there is some big resistance by some RWers, he will jump off that wagon in a heartbeat. He is a lot like Romney in that way, say whatever you think people want to hear then the opposite when that becomes more convenient.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
Quote:
One thing about Rubio, he supports it now, but if there is some big resistance by some RWers, he will jump off that wagon in a heartbeat. He is a lot like Romney in that way, say whatever you think people want to hear then the opposite when that becomes more convenient.
I dont think he will. The bottom line is, and ive heard him say it to and hope he stands by it, that if we dont do something about the border first or at the same time, we are going to have this problem again in 10 to 20 years.

I liked his initial thoughts on what hed like to do. I want to see now, what the actual proposal would look like. I am skeptic when some democrats are involved. I could see more of them just wanting a very easy, quick process for illegals. It must not be easy nor quick.

And I can not stress enough that the border security needs to be a part of this bill.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Eight Republicans?
Yes, eight republicans AND Dems, with Marco Rubio leading the pack. Remember Rubio is hispanic, and remember also that the GOP is in dire need of the hispanic vote.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
I am way more for a pathway than I am outright amnesty.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
They have been expanding the fence for a decade and they have doubled the border security, which will help, but it will never stop illegal immigration. As long as there is an incentive to come here, they will come.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
They will support it. If history is any guide, Republicans support any bill, no matter how liberal, as long as that bill is written by other Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration