Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,966,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
The GOP in the house will be hard pressed to accept this. The speaker would have to have the Democrats help him pass it with a majority of his own party voting against it...again. Not sure Boehner will allow the embarrasment of cementing "weakest Speaker ever" even if it would pass.
From the link :

Quote:
House Republicans look content to let the Senate lead. Rubio has close ties to Miami Republican Reps Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz Balart, who have bucked their own party over immigration and are likely to support the effort. Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, a former vice-presidential candidate, said he supported Rubio’s proposal.

The group of senators includes Republicans Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Arizona’s John McCain and Jeff Flake. Democrats include New York’s Charles Schumer, Michigan’s Richard Durbin, Colorado’s Michael Bennett and New Jersey’s Bob Menendez.

With bipartisan backing from so many high-profile senators, proposal’s chances of passage look good. The pressure to do something has also has mounted on both sides.

“Look at the last election,” McCain said Sunday on ABC’s This Week on Sunday. “We are losing dramatically the Hispanic vote, which we think should be ours, for a variety of reasons. And we’ve got to understand that."

Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,933,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, eight republicans AND Dems, with Marco Rubio leading the pack. Remember Rubio is hispanic, and remember also that the GOP is in dire need of the hispanic vote.
I was teasing you, the title seemed to imply otherwise, but I know that was not your intention.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM

63,533 posts, read 29,609,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
As long as the path is not easy, not quick, I wont have an issue with it. Id like to see the bill. And if securing our borders isnt a per-requisite then this whole exercise will be worthless. We will be facing this issue again in 10 years time or so. I swear, I will go bonkers if doing more to secure the border isnt a part of this.
With 23 million Americans out of work why legalize them at all? They need to go back to their homelands instead by removing the job, benefits and birthright citzenship incentives. We did this back in 1986 and were promised at that time that our borders would be secured and look at where we are today. Of course securing our borders will be a part of this legislation but just like before but it won't be enforced. Fool me once.....

Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 AM

24,266 posts, read 15,335,241 times
My local Republican Congressman has always been against any kind of pathway to citizenship. Always doing one minutes about securing the border, etc. About a month ago, he writes a puff piece in the local paper about a wonderful family in Houston and their expanding dough nut business.

That wonderful family was fined way over a million dollars several years ago for employing, housing and some mistreating of illegal workers. Go figure.

The biggest sugar daddy in Texas made all those millions he gives to Republicans on the backs of undocumented workers. I guess we have enough now to still keep wages down and Bob Perry can still make money. SS needs the income.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,705,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Eight Republicans?
Same thing I said. 8?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, eight republicans AND Dems, with Marco Rubio leading the pack. Remember Rubio is hispanic, and remember also that the GOP is in dire need of the hispanic vote.
I never understood this, why hispanics don't want to be labeled with illegal immigration when the very issue most hispanics seek involvement and put their ethnic group above our laws?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
No, both are pathways to amnesty. Dems call it "pathway to earned citizenship" and Republicans call it "fair path to citizenwhip". Besides, this proposal was created by both Dems and Repubs, so what's the difference?
No matter what the code name is...in the end its amnesty for people who broke our laws.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,066,976 times
Quote:
I hope you're right and I agree the border needs to continue being made more secure. But Rubio? I wouldn't trust him very much.
I haven't heard of him to be untrustworthy. Yes, he's a politician, but as far as I know he hasn't betrayed trust yet like many others.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I was teasing you, the title seemed to imply otherwise, but I know that was not your intention.
Honest mistake

Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No matter what the code name is...in the end its amnesty for people who broke our laws.
Yes, that's what I am saying too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration