Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to sponsor an Illegal Immigrant?
Yes, I would be more than willing to act as sponsor to illegal immigrants. 19 7.09%
No, but I would be happy to pay a higher personal tax to help pay for their support. 7 2.61%
No, but I would be happy to host them in my home if someone else pays me for it. 2 0.75%
No. I do not wish to support illegal immigrants in ANY way with my tax dollars or personal income. 240 89.55%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,512,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
just becauee youre fine with it doesnt mean e eryone else is. and im not an immivrant such as your husband who has to keep his i.d. on him at all times. also the killer example is just temporary while being i.d. for looking illegal would be 24/7 which could be used to detain me for no reason. if i dont want to always have my i.d. on me, its my choice and if an office asked me for my papers walking down the street i would be offended and cuss him out.
There are 24 states with "Stop and Identify" laws on the books. Four states’ laws (Arizona, Indiana, Nevada, and Ohio) explicitly impose an obligation to provide identifying information.

"ARS 13-2412. (Arizona) Refusing to provide truthful name when lawfully detained; classification

A. It is unlawful for a person, after being advised that the person's refusal to answer is unlawful, to fail or refuse to state the person's true full name on request of a peace officer who has lawfully detained the person based on reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. A person detained under this section shall state the person's true full name, but shall not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of a peace officer.

B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor."

Since it is illegal for non-citizens to work without a work permit, and it is illegal to earn money under the table (tax evasion) it could be said that every Hispanic hanging around in front of Home Depot, based on reasonable suspicion, is ABOUT to commit a crime. If an APB has been put out by police that they are looking for a Hispanic suspect involved in a crime it is reasonable to stop anyone matching the description. Based on the Most Wanted lists for many US cities, there are a LOT of people who might fit the description...

Ventura County's Most Wanted April 12 : Ventura Photo Galleries : Ventura County Star: Local Ventura, California News Delivered Throughout the Day. (http://www.vcstar.com/photos/galleries/ventura-countys-most-wanted/?partner=popular - broken link)

Top Ten Most Wanted - official website of THE LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT

California's Most Wanted Fugitives - California Deptartment of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,854,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
There are 24 states with "Stop and Identify" laws on the books. Four states’ laws (Arizona, Indiana, Nevada, and Ohio) explicitly impose an obligation to provide identifying information.

"ARS 13-2412. (Arizona) Refusing to provide truthful name when lawfully detained; classification

A. It is unlawful for a person, after being advised that the person's refusal to answer is unlawful, to fail or refuse to state the person's true full name on request of a peace officer who has lawfully detained the person based on reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. A person detained under this section shall state the person's true full name, but shall not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of a peace officer.

B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor."

Since it is illegal for non-citizens to work without a work permit, and it is illegal to earn money under the table (tax evasion) it could be said that every Hispanic hanging around in front of Home Depot, based on reasonable suspicion, is ABOUT to commit a crime. If an APB has been put out by police that they are looking for a Hispanic suspect involved in a crime it is reasonable to stop anyone matching the description. Based on the Most Wanted lists for many US cities, there are a LOT of people who might fit the description...

Ventura County's Most Wanted April 12 : Ventura Photo Galleries : Ventura County Star: Local Ventura, California News Delivered Throughout the Day. (http://www.vcstar.com/photos/galleries/ventura-countys-most-wanted/?partner=popular - broken link)

Top Ten Most Wanted - official website of THE LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT

California's Most Wanted Fugitives - California Deptartment of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
then every hispanic should be suspect and its only natural to suspect hispanics...

Quote:
Since it is illegal for non-citizens to work without a work permit, and it is illegal to earn money under the table (tax evasion) it could be said that every Hispanic hanging around in front of Home Depot, based on reasonable suspicion, is ABOUT to commit a crime.
So why stop at Home-depot, If the're committing crimes there, they are for sure taking their "criminal-ways" on the road...so every hispanic is or about to committ a crime...

Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 PM

50,714 posts, read 47,599,072 times
Quote:
Was meant in the Arizona law that got shut down. also, lots of people get stopped for no reason, we got a saying in L.A. DWB or DWM, driving while black or driving while Mexican
Why do you think that is? There is probably a logical reason for how that saying got started don't you think?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,373,615 times
Quote:
Was meant in the Arizona law that got shut down. also, lots of people get stopped for no reason, we got a saying in L.A. DWB or DWM, driving while black or driving while Mexican
Gotta love that victim mentality card, don't ya? Even if this were true as long as you are here legally in this country with proper I.D. what is the big deal?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,700,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Gotta love that victim mentality card, don't ya? Even if this were true as long as you are here legally in this country with proper I.D. what is the big deal?

People who are usually bothered by that are the ones that have something to hide.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 PM

385 posts, read 724,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why do you think that is? There is probably a logical reason for how that saying got started don't you think?
I dunno what to say to this? Is this racism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Point being, I dont wanna be annoyed by police, and yes I have been stopped before. I love late night strolls, I love looking at the stars and just taking in the fresh are, one night I got stopped, suspected of robbing a liqour store, funny part is, they were looking for a hispanic male between 5,4 to 5,10, or so the police say, once they patted me down they said, " your good" and left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
People who are usually bothered by that are the ones that have something to hide.
I dont want to answer this cause its wrong in so many ways. We should have a right to privacy, to not being hassled by police. I cant begin to state what can go wrong if we allow them to walk all over us, this isnt just an illegal issue.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,373,615 times
Quote:
I dunno what to say to this? Is this racism?

Point being, I dont wanna be annoyed by police, and yes I have been stopped before. I love late night strolls, I love looking at the stars and just taking in the fresh are, one night I got stopped, suspected of robbing a liqour store, funny part is, they were looking for a hispanic male between 5,4 to 5,10, or so the police say, once they patted me down they said, " your good" and left.

I dont want to answer this cause its wrong in so many ways. We should have a right to privacy, to not being hassled by police. I cant begin to state what can go wrong if we allow them to walk all over us, this isnt just an illegal issue.
You don't want to be bothered by the police? Asking for I.D. is bothering you even though in so many other incidents in our lives we are asked for I.D.?

Are you saying you fit the description of the liquor store robber? It sounds like you were offended by a normal course of action that a police officer would take. How else do they find a suspect without questioning those who fit the description? Yet you call this hassling? You yourself admitted that they were satisfied that your weren't guilty and let you go.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,129,653 times
What rights?

The only right they have is the right to get arrested and deported.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 PM

3,011 posts, read 3,572,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I think we should grant them full rights, along with some kind of transition mechanism to make them full legal citizens. It's the price we pay for being such a free society, a nation comprised of immigrants, and a beacon for freedom throughout the world.

Ludicrous to exclude these proud people. Those of you calling for the mass exodus of all illegal immigrants need to deal with your personal issues. Living in such a state of negativity is detrimental to your health and diminishes your quality of life.

I note here that Republicans have no problem watching the rich get richer, or excessive amounts of money being dumped into the military to nation build and aid poor people on the other side of the world. Yet, when money is spent here at home to aid such people, they are unreasonable and misguided in their outrage. I support amnesty and a program to make these people full citizens.
I'm glad most people don't think like you do.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:20 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,854,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I'm glad most people don't think like you do.
USA Today/Gallup Poll. Jan. 14-16, 2011.
"Pass a bill to give some illegal immigrants
living in the U.S. a path to legal status"
[1/14-16/11]
Strongly favor Favor Oppose Strongly oppose Unsure
13 30 25 30 2

AP-National Constitution Center Poll conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media. Aug. 11-16, 2010.
"Do you favor or oppose providing a legal way for illegal immigrants
already in the United States to become U.S. citizens?"
Favor Oppose Unsure Refused
% % % %
[8/11-16/10]
50 48 2 -
[9/3-8/09]
47 50 2 1

CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll. July 16-21, 2010.
"Creating a program that would allow illegal immigrants already
living in the United States for a number of years to stay here and
apply to legally remain in this country permanently if they had a job and paid back taxes"
Favor Oppose Unsure
[7/16-21/10]
81 19 -
[ 5/21-23/10]
80 19 1

Immigration

This question is split down the middle with Americans giving support for this option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration