Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to sponsor an Illegal Immigrant?
Yes, I would be more than willing to act as sponsor to illegal immigrants. 19 7.09%
No, but I would be happy to pay a higher personal tax to help pay for their support. 7 2.61%
No, but I would be happy to host them in my home if someone else pays me for it. 2 0.75%
No. I do not wish to support illegal immigrants in ANY way with my tax dollars or personal income. 240 89.55%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,200,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Are you in favor of giving illegal immigrants full rights which they have not earned and are not entitled to?
No, but I don't have a choice because the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution requires it.

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The US Supreme Court holds that "person" means "person" legal or not, citizen or not. I'm sorry, but that is what the 14th Amendment says, so I must respect and abide by the law, even though I don't like it.

I am working to change that, but I'm not getting a lot of support. What you're seeing is an example of a poorly written law. The 14th Amendment needs to be amended so that the word "person" is replaced with "citizen" and then we can stop throwing away money on illegal aliens who have no respect for our laws and we can legally deny them Food Stamps, housing, unemployment benefits, public education and everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,851,311 times
Then please explain why, while they are afforded "equal protection of the laws" somehow they seem to be able to let having equal responsibility under the law slide by if they're illegal?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM

884 posts, read 717,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, but I don't have a choice because the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution requires it.

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The US Supreme Court holds that "person" means "person" legal or not, citizen or not. I'm sorry, but that is what the 14th Amendment says, so I must respect and abide by the law, even though I don't like it.

I am working to change that, but I'm not getting a lot of support. What you're seeing is an example of a poorly written law. The 14th Amendment needs to be amended so that the word "person" is replaced with "citizen" and then we can stop throwing away money on illegal aliens who have no respect for our laws and we can legally deny them Food Stamps, housing, unemployment benefits, public education and everything else.
What exactly are you working on? How may others assist in this cause? Besides the usual "contact your senator,congressman B.S" what can one do to help?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,491,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What would be the incentive for anyone to risk, if they were to sponsor someone, then after two or three years of sponsorship, work and/or school, that person or family were deported?

A temporary resident status is a non-deport option.
My husband has permanent legal residency status, but, if he were to commit a felony he could be subject to deportation. This generally would not happen with a misdemeanor charge. I do not believe they could be deported for failure to support themselves, but the sponsor would be billed for any debts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
For myself this has nothing to do with my political affiliation. However, I am fed up with the total B.S. that spews from people such as yourself on the issue of people in this country illegally. Please elaborate on your statement refering to "mass exodus of illegal immigrants" and that anyone who is for that has "personal issues" Do you have any idea how proposterous and totally asine that statement sounds? Where did you come up with that one from? Also, your attempt at using the military and any or all other subjects the Gvt spends money on and that it should be spent on people here illegally has got to be one of the most twisted cognative thought processes I have ever heard. Let me ask you this, WHY? I'm sure we could spend it on our own country and people who have actually worked and put money into the system, and were laid off etc.. Why am I not hearing your cries for them? Lexus why don't you do us all a favor and sell your lexus, then take in all the illegals in your place in the Bay Area and YOU feed, clothe, shelter them. I know as one who wittinesses their "entitlement" attitude on a daily basis and (no I am in no way exaggerating that statement) that I and millions of other Americans are fed up with this topic. One must come to the conclusion that those who have your diseased mentalily on this subject, and the employers that hire them are destroying our country little by little, day by day. Pathetic is the kindest word I have for this mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
my issue is, its not a problem to deport illegals and a sponsership program is already what you do when you bring a realtive like mother or sister over. my whole tick with these immigration policies is they go too far. they want to take my freedoms as an american away to make themselves sleep better at night. we all know if arizonas law passed they wouldnt be i.d.ing white people. and me being an american will sue the hell out of a police officer asking me for proof of citizenship if im walking down the street to buy a carton of milk. its the same reason i have to wait 2 hours to get on a plane, even tho t.s.a. has never caught a terrorist. once your fear shell tries to engulf me, i get mad.
I wouldn't be bothered if I were to be stopped and asked to provide I.D. My husband, a LEGAL immigrant who is hoping to gain citizenship next November, always carries I.D., as REQUIRED upon his acceptance into this country as a legal immigrant, and he isn't bothered about it. Whenever there is a serial killer loose lots of white men between the ages of 24 to 45 are automatically profiled and questioned due to the fact that they ARE white men, which fits the profile of this type of killer. Whats the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
An anglo friend of mine could be profiled cause he looks like a Mexican. His wife is part Indian and looks more anglo than him. I dont get profiled as a Chicano til I open my mouth.

I dont care cause I have my Arizona DL. If the cops stop you; dont have any tude and you will be fine.

Quote:

I agree with you on this. Do you have a website regarding this. I'll send you some support.

Last edited by Yac; 04-13-2011 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: 5 posts in a row merged

Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,840,800 times
Quote:

There is no connection between the 14th amendment and state and federal benefits offered. There is nothing unconstitutional in dening benefits to anyone.

Public education is different in that the federal government required children to recieve a public education. Local, State, and the federal govenment are not required to offer food stamps, housing, unemployment benefits. There doesnt need to be a constitutional amendment or amending the US constitution to end these types of benefits.

The 14th amedment to the US constitution is not a pooly writien law. First of all, it is not a law, it is above all laws as a guide and a mandate on how all subsequent laws can be written...more correctly on how laws can not/should not be written.

Even if one has a problem with the current precedent of birthright citizenship, the 14th amendment does not have to be altered. A stand alone amendment could be proposed.

Adding to or changing the constitution in and of itself is a very difficult task, changing an amendment, by replacing "person" with "citizen" would be so close to imposible. The 14th amendment deals with so many more issues than citizenship, benefits, or illegal aliens. The words "persons" and "citizen" occurs throughout the constitution... do we change all other amendments and provisions as well?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:35 PM

385 posts, read 722,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
My husband has permanent legal residency status, but, if he were to commit a felony he could be subject to deportation. This generally would not happen with a misdemeanor charge. I do not believe they could be deported for failure to support themselves, but the sponsor would be billed for any debts.

I wouldn't be bothered if I were to be stopped and asked to provide I.D. My husband, a LEGAL immigrant who is hoping to gain citizenship next November, always carries I.D., as REQUIRED upon his acceptance into this country as a legal immigrant, and he isn't bothered about it. Whenever there is a serial killer loose lots of white men between the ages of 24 to 45 are automatically profiled and questioned due to the fact that they ARE white men, which fits the profile of this type of killer. Whats the difference?

I agree with you on this. Do you have a website regarding this. I'll send you some support.

just becauee youre fine with it doesnt mean e eryone else is. and im not an immivrant such as your husband who has to keep his i.d. on him at all times. also the killer example is just temporary while being i.d. for looking illegal would be 24/7 which could be used to detain me for no reason. if i dont want to always have my i.d. on me, its my choice and if an office asked me for my papers walking down the street i would be offended and cuss him out.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 PM

93 posts, read 139,084 times
rights? what rights? here in the USA? hahahahahaha sorry i couldnt help myself. Absolutely not.

BUT i do support them having rights in THEIR OWN countries 100%.
So, yeah...... they should go protest their rights there, NOT here.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,581,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
just becauee youre fine with it doesnt mean e eryone else is. and im not an immivrant such as your husband who has to keep his i.d. on him at all times. also the killer example is just temporary while being i.d. for looking illegal would be 24/7 which could be used to detain me for no reason. if i dont want to always have my i.d. on me, its my choice and if an office asked me for my papers walking down the street i would be offended and cuss him out.
Unless you were doing something illegal, and gave the police probable cause, such as walking down the street smoking a joint, or waving an AK-47, there would be no reason for an officer to stop you, arrest you, or even ask for ID. Stop the melodrama.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,581,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Barreras View Post
rights? what rights? here in the USA? hahahahahaha sorry i couldnt help myself. Absolutely not.

BUT i do support them having rights in THEIR OWN countries 100%.
So, yeah...... they should go protest their rights there, NOT here.
Ditto!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM

385 posts, read 722,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unless you were doing something illegal, and gave the police probable cause, such as walking down the street smoking a joint, or waving an AK-47, there would be no reason for an officer to stop you, arrest you, or even ask for ID. Stop the melodrama.
Was meant in the Arizona law that got shut down. also, lots of people get stopped for no reason, we got a saying in L.A. DWB or DWM, driving while black or driving while Mexican
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration