Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 05:01 PM

209 posts, read 317,599 times

Advertisements

This is a story about an exhibit showcasing Boise's refugee community.

Here We Have Idaho | Slideshows | Boise Weekly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 PM

318 posts, read 437,962 times
Default Snow news

MCCALL, ID - The Idaho Power Company says heavy snows have again taken out the two main transmission lines that serve 16,000 customers from Riggins south to Cascade and from New Meadows east to Warm Lake.
"Crews are patrolling the lines, where safe to do so, to find damage and make repairs. Progress is slow due to extreme winter conditions, heavy snow and falling trees. We thank customers for their patience and encourage them to avoid snow-laden trees and downed power lines," the company says on its Facebook page.
UPDATES: https://www.facebook.com/idahopower/ .

Old 12-21-2015, 07:02 PM

318 posts, read 437,962 times
Driving conditions in Idaho

Idaho Transportation Department - Low Bandwidth Web - Winter Driving

Old 12-24-2015, 09:57 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,917,758 times
Why One Boise Mom Wants To Help The Kids Of The Person Who Ran Over Her Son | Boise State Public Radio

Old 01-03-2016, 12:59 PM

6,367 posts, read 7,805,026 times
Well, at least we're "number 1" in something. When checking the weather report this morning, I noticed a side link to "Which State Has the Rudest Drivers?"

http://www.weather.com/travel/commut...rudest-drivers

quoted in part:

Quote:
...the state with the absolute rudest drivers is tucked away in the Rocky Mountains: Idaho.

The survey concluded that Idaho is made up of two main types of drivers -- "those who are moving so slowly that they're judged to be rude, and the aggressive drivers who speed around them and flip them off." The imperfect marriage of these two driving types propels the Gem State to the top of the list.

One responder took a stab at explaining the strange dichotomy happening in the Northwest. Eric Leins of Southern California posited that Idaho's rural and mountainous terrain was to blame. He argued that residents and seasoned drivers are familiar with the twists and turns and lack the patience for those who are navigating the state's roads for the first time. Another survey responder said that he thinks everyone in that state is just content to take their time on the roads and don't seem to have the same sense of urgency drivers in other states have.
I like that last one. People are in no hurry in Idaho, at least the part with which I am familiar.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:38 PM

69 posts, read 70,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Well, at least we're "number 1" in something. When checking the weather report this morning, I noticed a side link to "Which State Has the Rudest Drivers?"

quoted in part:

I like that last one. People are in no hurry in Idaho, at least the part with which I am familiar.
I agree Volosong. I live in the Baltimore/Washington suburbs with the rudest, most impatient drivers I've experienced! I'm always amazed when I drive Kootenai, Bonner & Boundary County roads or walking as a pedestrian in the towns, Idaho drivers have been the friendliest, patient, kindest, considerate I've ever encountered.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 PM

29,226 posts, read 22,449,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

quoted in part:

I think both comments are accurate. I know I've scared some strangers to idaho enough to turn pale at the speeds I sometimes drive on some of our twisty 2-lanes when I can see the traffic is light (or nonexistant), but I've driven many of those roads since I was 13 and years away from my first diver's license. I know them so well I could probably drive some of them in the dark without headlights, even though I wouldn't do it.

And I also know how risky some of them are, especially as I head north. From New Meadows to the Canadian border, there are a lot of blind turns in narrow canyons with no good means of getting out of the way, so if I end up in a line of slow traffic, I'll slow down and relax and enjoy the scenery.

I know really a lot of us do exactly the same. That's just another part of living in Idaho. There's always some good reason ahead why folks slow down or speed up.

Is it rude? No. At least not to us. For someone who has only driven freeways, it may seem otherwise, but that's their problem, not ours.

And I've passed many a car with an out of state plate that's ended up down in the river because of their impatience or ignorance of what's up ahead. Around here, it seems every new billionaire who comes over to Idaho Falls for his first shopping trip from Jackson Hole ends up off the road and/or in the river. Whenever they zip by me going way too fast this time of the year, I can almost predict accurately where they will slide off ahead on some of the local highways.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:10 PM

356 posts, read 522,114 times
Just reading these posts-how timely. I took my daughter to Awana in Bonner's Ferry this evening-driving 40 mph on the highway most of the time. I wish people could be convinced that, in icy conditions, the laws of physics trump experience and skill. Every. Time. We passed a scary looking crash of a late-model pickup that rolled. You can only do that kind of damage at a higher speed. Hard way to learn a lesson.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 AM

29,226 posts, read 22,449,924 times
Never believe 4 wheel drive is any safer on ice than 2 wheel drive. It's not.
And once a 4 wheel drive vehicle loses traction, they are a lot quicker to take over and get you in trouble off the road.
Been there, done that. Too many times.

When it is icy, slow down. 35 mph is still a lot faster than walking home in the snow. Let the Parnelli Jones who just whipped around you hit the snowbank.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:15 AM

212 posts, read 309,923 times
Default Unusual Mountain Lion

Unusual Catch: Idaho Hunter Tracks Down Mountain Lion That Has Left Wildlife Biologists Completely Stumped | TheBlaze.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho