Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 10:35 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,906,790 times

Advertisements

Esther Simpot Park opening continues Boise 'transformation' that began with Eighth & Main in the Boise Hole and continued with JUMP and the Simplot World Headquarters among other big projects | Idaho Statesman

The foundation has never publicly said how much it spent on the park’s development, which included 8 million pounds of large rocks and 23 acres of ponds, wetlands and other waterways that cover more than 40 percent of the park’s 55 acres. Amenities will include trails, docks, bridges, a playground and water access to neighboring Quinn’s Pond. Even the land came into the city’s possession thanks to the Simplots. In 2005, Holloway said, the family donated money to buy most of the site.

The Simplot family paid for the installation of those millions of pounds of large rocks, more than originally planned, because they look nice, Holloway said. The Idaho Department of Fish and Game will stock the park’s ponds with fish. Joe Kozfkay, a Fish and Game regional fisheries manager, said the largemouth bass and bluegill will migrate from Quinn’s Pond into the new park.

Explore Boise's new Esther Simplot Park along the Boise River | Idaho Statesman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 01:00 PM

Boise metro area construction jobs grew 24 percent, says contractor group | Idaho Statesman

Boise area 1st in nation for construction jobs growth

Old 11-10-2016, 10:01 AM

2016 Election Results: Clinton Won Big (In the City of Boise) | Unda' the Rotunda | Boise Weekly

Old 11-10-2016, 10:21 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,377 times
For me the best news from this is the 80% turnout across the state. When the country can barely turn out 50% of eligible voters, it's good to see Idaho's turnout so high.

Dave

Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 AM

Freedom Foundation's Hoffman calls for rethinking Idaho marijuana laws | Idaho Statesman

Guess who wants to talk about changing Idaho’s marijuana laws? It’s not just NORML

Quote:
We need to ask whether the prohibition against marijuana is worth the cost,” Hoffman said. “The main issue has to do with Idahoans making their own medical choices, and those choices being criminalized.”

Old 11-15-2016, 09:24 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,450,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Freedom Foundation's Hoffman calls for rethinking Idaho marijuana laws | Idaho Statesman

Guess who wants to talk about changing Idaho’s marijuana laws? It’s not just NORML
Interesting! Call me a "poor loser" on this one if you want but I can't forget the thread I started two years ago about medical Marijuana use in Idaho as the Legislature was meeting. My thread was deleted. Last year someone started the same thread and it was allowed to remain.

That's probably all I should write except to say I don't understand how come cancer patients, kids with a certain type of epilepsy and patients with specific other diseases can't access MJ to release symptoms legally in Idaho.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 11-15-2016 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-15-2016, 05:36 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Pocatello set a record high temp of 68º degrees today. It ties the old record, set in 1941.

There's a Pacific winter storm a'coming tonight, so the temps are going to be falling down toward normal when they arrive, and there may be a couple of inches of snow on the ground in 48 hours.

Late fall always turns into winter fast here, but this has been an extremely late and mild November. October was as strange, with all the rainfall we got. Normally, October is one of the driest months, but the rain sure helped next year's outlook- the ground here still hasn't frozen hard yet, so all the moisture went in, and didn't run off.

As always, pray for snow, folks. None of us want another big wildfire summer next year; one in the panhandle and another in the south the year following is enough for us for a while. If we have another dry, warm winter, the whole state could light up again come late June 2017.

MSR- I agree on the medical marijuana, especially the oil. From everything I've learned, there's not enough cannibinol in the oil to ever get a person high, but if it helps a severe epileptic, even if the sufferer got high, it would be beneficial.

I went to high school here with a poor kid who suffered extreme epileptic seizures. He seized all the time at school.
He was a nice kid, shy, polite, but had no friends due to his illness. The class I was in all got used to his seizures, and there was always some kids who would help him as best they could through them, but it was pretty terrible for him.
I don't know what became of him after graduation. He never came to any of the class reunions. All these years later, though, I can still remember him very clearly. It must be extremely hard to go through life like that, and if there's something that can be done, I think it should be allowed to be used for folks like him.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:26 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times
Default Well done, Idaho!

From today's CdA Press.

Idaho ranks fifth in volunteerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdA Press Staff
Idaho ranks fifth in the nation in volunteering, according to the latest report on volunteerism by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov. Butch Otter
Idahoans take great pride in giving back to their communities as volunteers...It's a big part of who we are.
Article goes on to state that 34.1% of the population volunteered in 2015, (Utah was ranked first with 43%). 382,220 Idahoans volunteered a per capita of 37.5 hours, totalling 53 million hours of service, valued at $1.1 billion.

Info on volunteering at ServeIdaho.gov

On-line article same as the print edition. Idaho ranks fifth in volunteerism - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-16-2016, 10:23 AM

Thanks Mike! My brain can't understand how it is OK for 25 children in ID yearly to "win the lottery" to be approved for the oil use for their seizures and other children are not! There is a very specific seizure type the oil helps so much in children. Did you see the story about the mom in Twin Falls arrested for putting some MJ oil, I think, in butter for her little girl? They weren't one of the lucky 25 lottery winners in 2016 and the child kept begging her mom to make the symptoms go away. At a visit to her pediatrician a pot screen was positive. The pediatrician had to report it. So not only did a single mom (IIRC) go to jail, her two children were taken into custody by CPS services workers.

What will happen in 2017? I believe it is a new lottery, so-to-speak. I hope I'm wrong!!! Can you imagine for the 25 families who were lucky to be selected in 2016 what will happen if 25 different families get selected this year?

I've actually had to do that with a non-MJ, anti-epilptic drug trial. When directives were sent to the study sites I've had to tell families "no more," and please bring back all study drug you have at the early termination visit. Those instructions and procedures are standard when a clinical trial ends. But this one ended earlier than anticipated and not because of negative side effects. As the lead global site with 24 U.S. children on an awesome medication, the decision was made at corporate (in Basil, Switzerland) to get it licensed in four EU countries before applying in the U.S. It was a living hell for me knowing I had the keys to where that medicine in development was locked up next to my office and seeing/hearing the parents and kids begging for it. They didn't know we had any still in our office but in many ways that made it worse. I couldn't tell them or say anything. I do not envy anyone in ID who has to terminate families who were able to get oil in 2016 who may not get the oil in 2017

Ultimately, the families who need the MJ oil go to UT, OR, WA or now other states to get what helps their kids. The same with cancer patients. If anyone thinks cancer patients throughout the state aren't using MJ for symptom relief they haven't met terminal and other cancer patients. Idaho is having $ leave the state to literally cross borders and buy MJ in businesses in bordering states.

There will be new battles as the state deals with who gets the 25 pediatric slots this year. I hope parents rally together. They seem to get heard better than medical professionals, like Dr. Krell. The disrespect and LECTURES Dr. Krell got last year when he testified to expand Medicaid is a comment for a different day.

MSR

Old 11-16-2016, 10:31 AM

I made an error. The family above lives in Gooding. Everything else happened in Twin Falls. Sorry for my mistake.

Gooding mom charged after treating daughter with marijuana butter | Idaho Statesman

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho