Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,453,099 times

Advertisements

I think there will be more BMW and Genesis cross-shopping than people might figure -- but as Hyundai's own apparent ad campaign suggests, the cross-shop will be among low-end 3-series shoppers, not 5-series shoppers. The market segment between these two cars isn't that wide. If I had the money for a 328i but not a 335i, I'd certainly look at a Genesis as a possible alternative -- more space, more power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:51 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,811,360 times
The XG350 was supposedly a competitive car too. Even the Azera hasn't sold really well.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 PM

14,860 posts, read 42,983,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think there will be more BMW and Genesis cross-shopping than people might figure -- but as Hyundai's own apparent ad campaign suggests, the cross-shop will be among low-end 3-series shoppers, not 5-series shoppers. The market segment between these two cars isn't that wide. If I had the money for a 328i but not a 335i, I'd certainly look at a Genesis as a possible alternative -- more space, more power.
As the owner of a BMW 3 series............... No, I would NOT go look and consider the Hyundai at all. Before I even purchased the BMW I looked at EVERYTHING comparable across the line. Knowing that I keep my cars for a long time and take very good care of them....... I get my money out of them and end up w/ a very good resale/trade when I do get something new. This is where Hyundai will fail. Most, and I say "most" meaning those that will look and get a 3 Series over a more expensive BMW are still interested in overall value, appeal, long term value, reliability, etc. Hyundai is not going to bring that to the table even though they have gotten better than the ones that first were introduced here. BMW holds the resale better than most cars in the same class - one reason I went with it along w/ the reliability and warranty.

As for the typical 3 Series buyer, they are not all just getting that level of BMW because they can't afford anything higher. Many have more than 1 BMW in their stable or very well COULD buy the 5 or 7 Series but might not NEED a larger sedan. I enjoy my 3 Series very much.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 AM

257 posts, read 1,133,678 times
well overall if you take away the comparison to BMW. will it flop or take off as a new nice sedan?

the bmw was just funny because of how they talked about it. Directly connecting its power, style and over all appeal with a BMW.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 PM

266 posts, read 1,236,702 times
BMW and reliability shouldn't be in the same sentence. They are not exactly known for that. Bimmers consistantly rank below average according to J.D. Power.
Performance ,yes. Resale value, yes.
Want reliability? try Lexus, Acura and now Infiniti.
Since most popular Bimmers sold are the 3 series (328 cheaper model) I doubt most are buying it for real performance but rather trying to impress their friends and neighbors. Compensating for their small d----.
As for Hyundai Genesis, good reviews from all major auto mags but I think its bad timing.
I'm still wishing for a Porsche Boxter,used of course.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 PM

14,860 posts, read 42,983,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
BMW and reliability shouldn't be in the same sentence. They are not exactly known for that. Bimmers consistantly rank below average according to J.D. Power.
Since most popular Bimmers sold are the 3 series (328 cheaper model) I doubt most are buying it for real performance but rather trying to impress their friends and neighbors. Compensating for their small d----.
As for Hyundai Genesis, good reviews from all major auto mags but I think its bad timing.
I've got a 2006 3 Series and reliability has been WONDERFUL! It has not let me down at all. Know many other BMW owners that have been equally pleased. I don't consider it to be the "cheaper model" since their is a 1 series and there are lower level 3 Series than what I have. But hey, if it mak

As for performance, for a small sedan w/ the sports package and used for just running errands around town....... the performance was FAR better than the others listed.

No, I'm not trying to impress anyone. I liked it and it fit what I needed it to do so I bought it. I don't have any small protruding anatomy on my lower torso area to compensate for either. But hey, if it makes you feel better to think that is the reason we drive them, whatever. I personally don't care what someone drives as long as they are driving it safely, have proper training (valid drivers license), insurance, etc. What they paid for it has no effect on me.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:21 AM

172 posts, read 770,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I've got a 2006 3 Series and reliability has been WONDERFUL! It has not let me down at all. Know many other BMW owners that have been equally pleased. I don't consider it to be the "cheaper model" since their is a 1 series and there are lower level 3 Series than what I have. But hey, if it mak

As for performance, for a small sedan w/ the sports package and used for just running errands around town....... the performance was FAR better than the others listed.

No, I'm not trying to impress anyone. I liked it and it fit what I needed it to do so I bought it. I don't have any small protruding anatomy on my lower torso area to compensate for either. But hey, if it makes you feel better to think that is the reason we drive them, whatever. I personally don't care what someone drives as long as they are driving it safely, have proper training (valid drivers license), insurance, etc. What they paid for it has no effect on me.
Very true. I have a 335 and have had no issues with it and I surely don't drive it to impress my friends or anyone else for that matter. My BMW is a great car and I wouldn't consider a Hyundai for myself, but I am sure it is a nice car for someone else.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,219,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
it's a Big Flop. Why? Gas Prices! Just like the Pontiac G8. V8's in sedans are going away. Look what FoMoCO is doing with the new MKS. Yes, granted the yamaha V8 they wanted to use was way too expensive to build and fit on the chassis of the MKS. Ford played it smart and placed a turbocharger in their new Duratec V6.

Comparing the Hyundai Genesis and the BMW, like you said, there is no comparison. But actual BMW owners turning towards the Hyundai is like saying," I shop at Diesel for my Jeans but I can't help but think of the $10 jeans from Dickies at the Super K!" I think Hyundai is smoking some funny toot!
Smile when you say that: Lexus came from nowhere back in 1990 (aside from being a $$$ Toyota line of cars-----and, made no bones about it) and damn near dropped Mercedes Benz to its knees by 1993.

The LS400 was a better 'S Class' for 2/3rd's the money.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
NOBODY who is in the market for a BMW will even consider a Hyundai. Hyundai brings to mind words like cheap, generic, economy, etc. Nothing a BMW driver would want to be associated with.

When Hyundai runs ads comparing themselves to BMW and Lexus...its not really to lure in BMW and Lexus buyers....its to make the poor schleps buying a Hyundai feel like they're buying a luxury car.
As you stated:

About the only thing keeping the putative luxury brands alive is the 'snob factor'.

Hell; by 1956, one could option up a Chevy Belair that was the de facto equal to a comparable Buick Century or Olds 88-------in fact: in many cases all of the above cars used the same window glass depending on bodystyle.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Actually; the newer Bimmers have really cleaned up their act------almost to Lexus/Toyota levels------it is Mercedes Benz that has the rep of being a junk box and at any price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia