Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 06:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,738,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

Thing I don’t like is how both seem to be mimicking the German cars in some respects, namely the dash. The KIA looks like a knockoff of a BMW and Hyundai looks like a knockoff of a Benz. But then I remind myself of when I bought a 2007 Mazda 3GT sedan instead of a BMW 12 years ago and absolutely adored that car! Thought it was the best bang for the buck and couldn’t see why anyone would waste the money on a bmw 2 or 3 series ($20k vs $40k). And no doubt that Mazda clearly took some design cues from bmw.
That could be due to Peter Schreyer, who used to be a designer for Audi, and now works for Kia.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:50 PM

7,510 posts, read 7,239,739 times
That is the biggest couple of bs statements I have ever heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
No one needs AWD. It's a marketing scam. Most AWD systems are total junk to begin with, and they're not nearly as good as FWD with proper tires. Even the good AWD systems can't match a FWD vehicle with proper tires. It's marketing. Manufacturers have made it seem like a safety feature that everyone needs.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:52 PM

Once again, you nailed it!

Quote:
I love how every time a car thread starts, it ends with arm chair quarterbacking of geopolitical and economic trade debates... I say buy whatever the hell you want. That’s capitalism and if we’re not selling our cars in S. Korea, I suspect it’s because we have bigger fish to fry with S. Korea that has nothing to do with Detroit, Mexico.

Reston - I looked at the Kia as we have a 2013 Highlander Limited that is likely going to be replaced in a another year or two (aka, the booger bucket). It was ok but didn’t ring the wife’s bell. Certainly a lot of car for the money though! Not sure how well it’ll age though, but just my opinion. I haven’t seen the Hyundai version yet in person, but have seen reviews and folks certainly do give it great praise! I like the front end better than the KIA.

Thing I don’t like is how both seem to be mimicking the German cars in some respects, namely the dash. The KIA looks like a knockoff of a BMW and Hyundai looks like a knockoff of a Benz. But then I remind myself of when I bought a 2007 Mazda 3GT sedan instead of a BMW 12 years ago and absolutely adored that car! Thought it was the best bang for the buck and couldn’t see why anyone would waste the money on a bmw 2 or 3 series ($20k vs $40k). And no doubt that Mazda clearly took some design cues from bmw.

To the guy bashing the soccer mom aspect and diaper duty.. I’m willing to bet you’ve never driven a 10 and 7 year old to Disney in an 18 hour drive before.. But to address your comments - that’s why I also have a mk7 GTI as my fun (hey I’m not dead yet) car.. these 3-row crossovers are great vehicles, but made even better if you can have a side toy too. But to the point of the paragraph above, I have the GTI instead of the Audi TT because why spend the extra money for what is a very nice and capable substitute for a lot less?

It’s all about who can make the better mousetrap for less.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:34 PM

17,663 posts, read 17,805,202 times
Looked it up and GM does sell cars in Korea

Old 08-22-2019, 01:09 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,771,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
That is the biggest couple of bs statements I have ever heard.
No, it's not. It's the most accurate statement you've ever heard. Use Google. Use YouTube. You can see videos of vehicles with snow tires destroying AWD vehicles on all season tires. It's common knowledge. Most AWD systems are slip and grip trash.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,771,258 times
Quote:
I love how every time a car thread starts, it ends with arm chair quarterbacking of geopolitical and economic trade debates... I say buy whatever the hell you want. That’s capitalism and if we’re not selling our cars in S. Korea, I suspect it’s because we have bigger fish to fry with S. Korea that has nothing to do with Detroit, Mexico.

Reston - I looked at the Kia as we have a 2013 Highlander Limited that is likely going to be replaced in a another year or two (aka, the booger bucket). It was ok but didn’t ring the wife’s bell. Certainly a lot of car for the money though! Not sure how well it’ll age though, but just my opinion. I haven’t seen the Hyundai version yet in person, but have seen reviews and folks certainly do give it great praise! I like the front end better than the KIA.

To the guy bashing the soccer mom aspect and diaper duty.. I’m willing to bet you’ve never driven a 10 and 7 year old to Disney in an 18 hour drive before.. But to address your comments - that’s why I also have a mk7 GTI as my fun (hey I’m not dead yet) car.. these 3-row crossovers are great vehicles, but made even better if you can have a side toy too. But to the point of the paragraph above, I have the GTI instead of the Audi TT because why spend the extra money for what is a very nice and capable substitute for a lot less?

It’s all about who can make the better mousetrap for less.
Minivans are far superior to faux SUVs when it comes to family duty. There's zero debate there.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:28 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,576,272 times
Quote:
Minivans are far superior to faux SUVs when it comes to family duty. There's zero debate there.
Ask your wife. Mine? Minivan? No...

Old 08-22-2019, 07:38 PM

5,467 posts, read 6,101,957 times
Quote:
No, it's not. It's the most accurate statement you've ever heard. Use Google. Use YouTube. You can see videos of vehicles with snow tires destroying AWD vehicles on all season tires. It's common knowledge. Most AWD systems are slip and grip trash.

Put the same tires on both and there is no comparison.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:40 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,576,272 times
Quote:
Yeah, because I’d much rather have snow tires on my GTI than drive the AWD Highlander in 10 inches of snow.

How about rain? I have the exact same Michelin’s A/S on two of my cars, one FWD, one AWD. The FWD floats about the road at highway speed. The AWD, doesn’t even flinch.

In 1999 I fled Hurricane Floyd from Wilmington NC to Charlotte as the outer bands came ashore. Floyd flooded NC. I was in a 1999 Subaru Outback. It was beyond words amazing how well that vehicle performed while hauling A$$ up 74 as flooding was occurring. Like driving water spider at 80 mph with the power swirling around me keeping grip and traction in milliseconds. Nothing on the road could even remotely keep up with me that night.

My current AWD with those same Michelin’s the VW has as well (yes, both at same tread depth, bought both sets of tires at the same time late last year) is even better than that Subaru, a W212 Benz.

No way would I ever put snow tires on my FWD if I had the option of using AWD instead.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Ask your wife. Mine? Minivan? No...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia