Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:32 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,824,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I drove a rear drive Roadmaster for years, as well as rear drive Electras and Chevy Belairs for many winters without problems.

A heavy enough car can operate well in the winter, even without the engine over the drive wheels.
Haha, if you think a Roadmaster is fine in the snow then the Genesis will be fine since it has traction/stability control and a modern suspension. Just get a good pair of snow tires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Check out the Azera too, you might be able to negotiate a better deal on one of those.
The Buick Lacrosse is 197" long vs 193" for the Azera and 197" for the Genesis. Size is actually pretty comparable, but he will likely notice the lack of plushness in the Azera when he starts to option it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:34 AM

284 posts, read 492,778 times
Here in Canada the Genesis comes only with AWD. The system is made by a division of Magna, in Austria, and seems very good.
There are three "mode" options, an Eco and Standard mode and a Sport mode which starts with a 20/80 rear bias for a more traditional sports sedan feel. The mode also changes the amount of power assist in the steering and the transmission shift algorithm. All modes allow torque to be transferred to wheels with more grip, so this is definitely an option you would want in your area. The V6 is rated at 311bhp, the 5.0 litre V8 is over 400, both with an 8 speed automatic.
The chassis is stiffer and handling better, in my opinion (and I have driven both) compared with the previous generation Genesis. While not as firm as a BMW I don't think you will find it slushy.
(I am a Hyundai salesman, but not in your area.)

Test drive all the cars you are considering, preferably on the same day, it's the only way to be sure.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Ive read several articles saying the V6 Genesis is actually preferred over the V8 due to better handling.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,300,829 times
I always liked the Genesis. It has an understated elegance to it. You can pick up a nice example for 20 grand. As chicks would say, it is amazing!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:38 AM

217 posts, read 640,704 times
I have a Genesis Couple and it's a great car. The ten year warranty is wonderful.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,743,872 times
Looks nice from the commercials

Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Haha, if you think a Roadmaster is fine in the snow then the Genesis will be fine since it has traction/stability control and a modern suspension. Just get a good pair of snow tires!
Either get winter tires for all four corners or don't bother with winter tires at all. You're better off with four all-seasons than half-and-half.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:51 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,421,261 times
The Genesis is a very compelling vehicle in its segment, and represents a great value. I have driven several as rentals, and they are great cruisers, not sporting in nature, similar to the E-Class as opposed to a 5-Series. I have only test driven an AWD in wet conditions as I have not come across one in a rental fleet, and am considering a Genesis as a good cruiser because it is very understated.

With regular ASRs, I have not had an issue with the RWD in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic with snow and ice on the roads, but the snow had been plowed, but still covering the road surface. The AWD gave me a similar feel to a 4Matic or Volvo XC system, as opposed to the more sporting feel of a BMW or an Acura SH-AWD.

With a good set of snow tires, even the RWD should perform acceptably in the amount of snow that would be prudent to drive any sedan, but with the AWD you would have the additional aids when needed to get started on an icy hill, etc., making it easier to handle wintry conditions and hills, of which you have no shortage in Pittsburgh.

In comparison to the Azera, the cars have a different feel. The Azera appeals to someone who is used to a FWD family car, but wants a bit of a more premium feel. I do not like the FWD Hyundais, personally, so I would avoid it, but it appeals to a Toyota Avalon/Lexus ES consumer, whereas the Genesis competes with a Mercedes E-Class or Lexus GS.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 23,336 times
They aren't selling. They might be better off giving them away. Most just aren't willing to spend that much money on a Hyundai!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 AM

24,438 posts, read 23,103,140 times
The local news just ran a story where a guy was driving a Genesis and ran from the cops in a high speed chase. He was clocked at 130 MPH twice and eluded the police who didn't want to risk pursuing him at that speed. They got his license though and arrested him at home. I'd say that was impressive for a Hyundai although he won't be driving it for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia