Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times

Advertisements

I have no dog in this fight but judging a company on what if manufactured in 2002 isn't really fair.

Hyundai started building "better" cars with the 2006 Sonata. It looked better than previous versions. Than they really hit it with the sixth gen Sonata (2009).

Anything before 2006 they were considered junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I have no dog in this fight but judging a company on what if manufactured in 2002 isn't really fair.

Hyundai started building "better" cars with the 2006 Sonata. It looked better than previous versions. Than they really hit it with the sixth gen Sonata (2009).

Anything before 2006 they were considered junk.
Yes, it's like comparing a 2002 Chevy Impala to a new one. HUGE difference.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
I've had a few. A couple of them didn't grow like they were supposed to, but I didn't have any problem getting them exchanged. And who's to say I didn't possibly misread the instructions?

Isn't it spelled Chia, though?

I wish I'd had this one:

Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,965 times
Yeah...the argument about a manufacturer offering a longer warranty because consumers would need to use it all the time, left me banging my head against the wall.

Here's a simple challenge to anyone reading this........

Randomly ask 10 Hyundai/Kia owners about their car and whether or not they would recommend it to others.

That will tell you more than opinions of people who, in many cases, have never even owned one.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was assured by many that in 2002 Hyundai was a "much better car company" then, too.

Do you really believe they give a 10 year, 100K mile warranty because they build great cars? No. They give it to you because youre going to use it quite frequently.

And people, if youre considering a Hyundai, get ready to use that warranty! And also be prepared for a quite rude network of dealers. All 3 we dealt with were rude, and did super shoddy repair work.
I'm sure their 2002 version was better than their 1992 version just like all the manufacturers are.

So what did you say about GM when they offered their 5/100,000 warranty a few years ago? They junk too?

You dealt with 3 dealers and got crappy service. With the attitude you've displayed so far in this thread, are you sure it was the dealers and not you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yes, it's like comparing a 2002 Chevy Impala to a new one. HUGE difference.

It's a tough market out there for cars, we're in the age where the consumers are benefiting big time from each manufacturer trying to get market share.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You dealt with 3 dealers and got crappy service. With the attitude you've displayed so far in this thread, are you sure it was the dealers and not you?

Shall I give examples? Ok... 1)Gartner Hyundai in Naperville, IL...First problem we encountered with the car was a dash rattle about a week into ownership. Their quick-fix solution? Double-sided tape. No joke. And in the process of fixing the rattle, they scratched the crap out of the center console, which required another visit to replace that.

2) Took car in for wobble (at all speeds). Road tested, said it was "ok, couldnt duplicate the problem." That proves to me that they didnt drive it at all, it was such a bad shimmy/shake that it was impossible to NOT notice it. I refused to leave w/o the problem being fixed, so they put it up on the lift and took me out to the service bay. It was then they discovered the front left tire collapsed. I mean, there was a baseball-sized dent in it due to collapsed belts. They tried to tell me we hit something, which we did not. They reluctantly decided to pay for the new tire, it only had roughly 8K miles on it, so it was a manufacturing defect. This was at Gartner Hyundai, as well.

3) A/C compressor pulley siezed, snapped the belt, left me stranded in 10 degree weather with our newborn in the car. They sent a tow truck driver out to us, who refused to take us with him back to the dealer. Luckily a sheriff was driving by and my wife flagged him down, he was more than happy to give us a ride home. 2 days later Hyundai calls me and tells me its not under warranty. WTH?!?!?!?! The heck it aint! The car had less than 10K miles on it! Awhile later they tell me its under warranty, and to come to the dealer to get a loaner car. Well, the Hyundai dealer in Rockford, IL didnt have loaner cars! They shuttled me and about 5 other customers down the street to a used car dealer around the corner. Seriously! I got stuck with a late 90's Ford Taurus, which ironically had 120K miles but ran like a champ. They call me 2 days later to tell me my car was ready. I get there, get in the car, and nothing. Dead. Nada. I storm back inside and the service writer lady acts all surprised when I said the car wasnt even looked at or fixed. She spends the next 15 minutes wandering around like a lost puppy dog, then apologizes and tells me the tech that was working on it had quit working there yesterday, and left without finishing the job. Wow. It was back to the used car dealer again, to pick up my old, used Ford Taurus loaner car. How nice.

4) Taillight gets water in it. Dealer tells me we hit something. It was a leaky, ripped seal. Nice try, guys.

5) On our 3rd set of wheel bearings, I complained and asked for a different set of bearings (Timken, SKF, I didnt care, anything!!!!) and they refused, said they could only install OEM bearings. I understand that, but not even 2 years later the 3rd set was bad, too. Lovely. They said it was from "stop and go driving". Really, Hyundai? Are you telling me we cant drive our Sonata in the city for fear it will eat more wheel bearings? Ironically we moved waaaay out into the country (2.5 hours west of Chicago) and even highway driving to work ate up the next set. The last set was so bad the giant snap rings welded themselves to the bearings, requiring them to torch them out piece by piece. Quality stuff there, Hyundai!

6) Front subframe recall was issued, this time we took it to Bemis Hyundai in Sycamore, IL who told us they would need the car for 2 weeks, but could only give us a loaner for 3 days. Huh?!? THey said we could return the car and hope they had another one to loan out. Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:25 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
We had the same bad dealer experiences with our Hyundai. They didn't honor their 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty, lied about what was wrong with the car, and then when we took it to an independent mechanic, it quickly became obvious that the dealership in fact never even worked on the car at all, it probably just sat in the lot the whole time.

We didn't bother fighting with them, we sold the car, and the next time I got a call asking me to do an ownership satisfaction survey... I happily obliged. I chewed them out so bad the regional marketing manager himself called me to ask what happened and apologized.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
We had the same bad dealer experiences with our Hyundai. They didn't honor their 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty, lied about what was wrong with the car, and then when we took it to an independent mechanic, it quickly became obvious that the dealership in fact never even worked on the car at all, it probably just sat in the lot the whole time.

We didn't bother fighting with them, we sold the car, and the next time I got a call asking me to do an ownership satisfaction survey... I happily obliged. I chewed them out so bad the regional marketing manager himself called me to ask what happened and apologized.
In my case the Hyundai dealer also owns the Toyota dealership next door, so I'm getting the same service someone with a Toyota would get (I know because my mother has a Camry and we use the same dealer).

I gotta admit though I'm not impressed by the Kia dealers I've seen, since they're so small in comparison to Hyundai's.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
And I think you don't know how to read... and have obviously never owned a Hyundai or Kia. Here's my original post. You want to argue with this, you're clueless about what makes a great car.
tells me I dont know how to read....apparently misses my post where Ive stated my wife owned a KIA for 7 years that turned out to be a dang good car. But yeah, it's obvious that we've never owned one.

Quote:
Our Hyundai looked nice when new. Power (among most Hyundai/Kias) is generally less than their competition, they tune their cars VERY conservatively, and apparently even with a such a tune, they still don't manage to meet what their mileage estimates are or match the competition.

U.S. Fines Hyundai, Kia for Overstating Fuel Economy - WSJ - WSJ

Our interior looked great when new too, as do most Hyundai's I've seen.... Then you fast forward a few years and the interior plastics have had the paint all rubbed off/cracked, simple things like wheel bearings fail prematurely, plastic headlight covers yellow extremely quickly...

That's not a great car, by any stretch of the imagination... except to people who don't know better.
none of that stuff happened to hers in 7 years(it was totaled when she was rearended and I was shocked/amazed how well that thing took a hit from a Chevy Trailblazer at 50mph with no braking). But your last post just proved(i'm sure you didnt notice it) that what we are talking about is relative. You had issues with yours which gives you your opinion, and that's fine. However, ours was extremely reliable. If I recall correctly, it was never in the shop except for maintenance intervals. It drove well, was comfortable, got pretty good mileage, had lots of space, interior held up very well. Just because you had a bad experience with your Hyundai/Kia doesnt negate our extremely positive experience with ours....again, it's all relative. Again, dont misconstrue what I'm saying. I'm not saying car for car, that a KIA is on par with Audi, MB, Lexus, etc. It isnt in most aspects. But over the course of ownership, any car can become a "great car" to its owner depending on how well it has met the needs and criteria of its owner.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times
MckinneyOwnr doesn't seem to understand that their experience does not represent all user experiences of said car manufacturer. Every car mfg has lemons.

But look at overall reliability ratings. I think Kia and Hyundai are getting better. We all know they were throw away cars as soon as 10 years ago. I think they have made strides and their sales and ratings prove it.

No, I have never owned one but from what I read they are solidly built and reliable. I also don't doubt for one minute McKinneyOwnr had a bad experience with her car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia