Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM

14,491 posts, read 20,683,469 times

Advertisements

I was in a small fender bender, parking lot accident in summer 2010.
Well, my 6 month auto insurance premium, for the period February 2012 to August 2012, actually fell from $339 to $314. (Full year would be $628 for two older vehicles - 1997 car, 2000 truck)
Now I get my notice for the period August 2012 to February 2013. The 6 month premium has gone up 13.6% from $314 to $357 (Full year $714)

I'm getting the lowest limits of coverage allowed by law.
Some agents, violate the insurance laws, by not selling you the lowest limits.
I've had agents offer me coverage limits far higher than the minimum, and they refuse to sell me the lowest limits, and they are violating the laws of S.C.

When I add in my home owner's insurance, with the same company as my cars, close to 10% of my income goes to vehicle-home insurance. And I'm getting a few discounts already like:
car and home, multi car, one time payment, payment by bank draft, long time customer (25 years), maybe another discount or two.

Anyone able to beat my total rates of $1120.00, for 2 pre-2001 vehicles and a small home?
(and I have not gotten my home owner's renewal yet, it might be higher than last year too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM

186 posts, read 335,526 times
We pay close to $2K a year for home and auto. The home was built in 2005; the autos are a 2008 and 2010 model. Both auto's still have full coverage; even though one is paid off. Both also have coverage that is above the minimum limits (not greatly above them; but still above them).

Psy

Old 06-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
We pay close to $2K a year for home and auto. The home was built in 2005; the autos are a 2008 and 2010 model. Both auto's still have full coverage; even though one is paid off. Both also have coverage that is above the minimum limits (not greatly above them; but still above them).

Psy
Your total is close to $2000:
Home built in 2005.
Vehicle #1 is a 2008.
Vehicle #2 is a 2010.
You might be paying for collision and comprehensive on such newer cars.
Your home, I'm guessing is larger than a 2 bedroom, one bath, 900 square feet.
You are paying for higher coverage limits on your cars.

My total is $1120:
Home built in 1972.
Vehicles: 1997 and 2000, but only one driver, and over age 30.

It sounds to me, like you, have lower rates than I do.

I've generally heard of Progressive, State Farm, Farm Bureau, GEICO, Nationwide, AllState
(and there are dozens more, alot of them independent agencies)

My coverages are with one of the companies listed above.
Howabout yours?
Thanks.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 AM

You are correct; we have full coverage on both cars; even if we never need it; it just gives me peace of mind knowing that we have it just incase it is needed. Both of us have clean driving records.

The house is a 2250 sqft 3 bed 2 1/2 bath with a 2 car garage.

We use USAA for our insurance coverage; which my wife has been with now for almost 25 years.

Psy

Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
You are correct; we have full coverage on both cars; even if we never need it; it just gives me peace of mind knowing that we have it just incase it is needed. Both of us have clean driving records.

The house is a 2250 sqft 3 bed 2 1/2 bath with a 2 car garage.

We use USAA for our insurance coverage; which my wife has been with now for almost 25 years.

Psy
My initial look at USAA, it's for military families, thus the rates that are proportionately alot cheaper than mine, may not be available to non military families or individuals.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
My initial look at USAA, it's for military families, thus the rates that are proportionately alot cheaper than mine, may not be available to non military families or individuals.
Neither one of us has been in the Military. Her father was retired from both the Military and from being a public teacher. So that was how she qualified and I'm just tagging along for the ride

Psy

Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM

I've sent them a letter to their Texas office. The only other choices were to call, or sign up on their site and give my social security number. Their website has military written all over it. Then it says "tell your family and friends."
My Father was in the Navy, a few years, and that is about it.
We'll see what they send me in the mail.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 AM

261 posts, read 480,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I've sent them a letter to their Texas office. The only other choices were to call, or sign up on their site and give my social security number. Their website has military written all over it. Then it says "tell your family and friends."
My Father was in the Navy, a few years, and that is about it.
We'll see what they send me in the mail.
Unless your father was a USAA member, I'm pretty sure they are going to tell you no. USAA is primarily for military members, their spouses and children. When they mention friends they are assuming you are a member of the military and you would be telling your military friends. The reason that they say that is there is still the belief that USAA is for officers only (which it was at one time) but now enlisted personnel are eligible as well.

Here are the groups that are eligible for USAA membership:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_main

Old 07-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaetadg View Post
Unless your father was a USAA member, I'm pretty sure they are going to tell you no. USAA is primarily for military members, their spouses and children. When they mention friends they are assuming you are a member of the military and you would be telling your military friends. The reason that they say that is there is still the belief that USAA is for officers only (which it was at one time) but now enlisted personnel are eligible as well.

Here are the groups that are eligible for USAA membership:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_main
ok, maybe USAA is out for me.

Can anyone beat what I am paying now, with another insurance company beside the one, I have which is All State?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,974,480 times
Have you called around to some of the independent agents? We have been with Auto-Owners since the 70's. We just never took the time to shop around.

My husband is a Vietnam Vet with an honorable discharge and his DD214. The USAA appears to be a bank, investments and insurance. Do you have to bank with them it appears like you have to join something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties