Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,605,337 times

Advertisements

Spencer only bidder for city's last gas contract - al.com

wow... it's everywhere... bending over now... bowing really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 AM

692 posts, read 1,509,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
Spencer only bidder for city's last gas contract - al.com

wow... it's everywhere... bending over now... bowing really.
You haven't lived with Chicago politics have you? Think Daley. Think Blagojevich.

It isn't just Alabama, just Alabama that has effected your personal life.

Having lived in many areas of the country I can tell you that "networking" is a part of the political game all over, not just here.

I hope that you are able to find happiness.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 AM

Tammie2, I am a happy person. But I am not happy about this situation.

Pointing out corruption in other cities doesn't validate corruption. It only exposes how insidious it is and if people ALLOW that kind of behavior to continue, it will. Furthermore, just because corruption exists, doesn't make it right. I refuse to accept injustice and put on a pair of pollyanna glasses to prove I "am finding happiness." Therefore, I'm putting the info on the forum because this is technically a place designed for people to go to when they have questions about an area because they are considering a move here or are moving here. Information is power. I believe providing information is important. Ignorance is not an excuse--as has been pointed out to many of us who made the mistake of believing the lies they were sold.

So now I am providing an easier way for people to research the area by sharing my own research on this forum--doesn't make me unhappy. That makes me very very very HAPPY

Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 AM

26,328 posts, read 94,090,027 times
Quote:
I am happy. But I am not happy about this. And just because corruption exists everywhere, doesn't make it right.

Is there any way we can leverage their corruption to our advantage?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:25 AM

Charles, I wish I could figure out a way to stop the madness, but I doubt it. What's funny is I truly don't believe we made a mistake in moving here to this area as far as lifestyle and our home and the schools. And if this is the price we pay for moving to a buyer beware state, then I know we are not alone. Interestingly, the dude wanting rezoning is related to the former mayor of Huntsville. The gas co. has a huge contract with Hville. So it is not just our little corner of the world, it's everywhere. I know this sh** happens everywhere and I should probably just roll over and pretend it doesn't exist--but I'm just so fed up with the attitude and actions of the people involved. It's so in our faces here--at least in DC I was oblivious to most of the local scene's issues cause the national scene was the overriding news of the day.

I miss national politics. Those wheels move less smoothly than the local politics here. Backdoor deals happen all the time. Sometimes those deals work to our benefit. Other times they do not.

This time I am afraid we're on the receiving end of the deal not working to our benefit. Oh well. I haven't rolled over to pretend it doesn't exist... yet. I hate losing. Really really hate it in general. I wonder if using the 4th branch of government will help us gain some kind of mini victory like a tree or bush planted in front of the gross gas station to hide it from us.

We'll see. I've got other people working this for me in the real world. I am only posting this here so people moving here will know this problem exists.

And I've lived a lot of different places as well as countries and I have never seen this type of situation. I spoke with a lawyer who pretty much felt the same way. I can't wait to leave... 7 more LONG YEARS to go.

Last edited by ionlife; 01-09-2010 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,253,886 times
Quote:
In fact, if you have a choice, why come here? The intricacies astound. I can't even begin to wrap my brain around the 4th generation soy bean farmer who has another gaseous career.
So, someone who's family has lived here for generations should just play status quo and not strive for something better as opposed to someone who moved here temporarily to have a better life as a result of the other person's hard work?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM

26,328 posts, read 94,090,027 times
Quote:
Charles, I wish I could figure out a way to stop the madness, but I doubt it. What's funny is I truly don't believe we made a mistake in moving here to this area as far as lifestyle and our home and the schools. And if this is the price we pay for moving to a buyer beware state, then I know we are not alone. Interestingly, the dude wanting rezoning is related to the former mayor of Huntsville. The gas co. has a huge contract with Hville. So it is not just our little corner of the world, it's everywhere. I know this sh** happens everywhere and I should probably just roll over and pretend it doesn't exist--but I'm just so fed up with the attitude and actions of the people involved. It's so in our faces here--at least in DC I was oblivious to most of the local scene's issues cause the national scene was the overriding news of the day.

I miss national politics. Those wheels move less smoothly than the local politics here. Backdoor deals happen all the time. I don't need that pointed out to me by people who are sitting smugly in their little houses baking bread. Sometimes those deals work to our benefit. Other times they do not.

This time I am afraid we're on the receiving end of the deal not working to our benefit. Oh well. I haven't rolled over to pretend it doesn't exist... yet. I hate losing. Really really hate it in general. I wonder if using the 4th branch of government will help us gain some kind of mini victory like a tree or bush planted in front of the gross gas station to hide it from us.

We'll see. I've got other people working this for me in the real world. I am only posting this here so people moving here will know this problem exists.

And I've lived a lot of different places as well as countries and I have never seen this type of situation. I spoke with a lawyer who pretty much felt the same way. I can't wait to leave... 7 more LONG YEARS to go.
One day a year or two ago, a decision was made to move to Northern Alabama. Out of curiosity, if you could rewind back to that day, would you still have moved to Northern Alabama? Somewhere else? Stayed at your origin? Done something different?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 AM

Charles we have had a thread about that very question. I'm not sure. The pros are great. The cons are starting to build. I think retracing one's footsteps is pointless as it's moot. We are here. For now. I see this type of thing happening to other people in other subdivisions as well. I just read about a problem off of county line road.

I don't think someone who has lived here for generations shouldn't capitalize on the potential to make a profit by all the realignments, DJMaxwell. I do think we deserve to have our concerns heard in a fair manner and that we have the right to fight something that is not conducive the entire community. While I don't intend to die here, I know many who came here specifically because they wanted to finish up working here and then retire in the area. And then their children/grandchildren/great grandchildren will have to live with the legacy of how things are taken care of today.

A gas station in a highly residential area, near a school doesn't feel like a great legacy for anybody to pass on to their families in the future.

And we're here now. We are citizens of THIS community. We have every right to ask the person attempting to profit by our presence to do so in a manner that is beneficial to the community. If we are to be stuck with a gas station, then show us how the city or the developer plans to make it look decent so we don't get a run down sex offender hang out and meth dealership just like the one a mile away from here.

Whatever. We came, we brought our money and bought our dream, and now we aren't allowed to complain because it's wrong to prevent change if it profits one person and that person's company. I get it, I really get it. I don't have to like it.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,237,758 times
Because someone has been here a long time, has worked hard and made something of themselves, is successful in multiple enterprises, knows a lot of people, does not equate to corruption. You live any where a long time, you get to know people. Not much helping that. But, you gotta look out for those evil soy bean farmers...they might buy out some mall that's been in a family for generations and put in a soy bean field...but the cotton farmers are the worst...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,830,585 times
Quote:
A gas station in a highly residential area, near a school doesn't feel like a great legacy for anybody to pass on to their families in the future.
Yeah, because all those soccer moms driving their kids to school in a Suburban will not use that gas station??? Gas stations/convienence stores are integral to suburban life and American life in general. I think your energy would be better spent on making it fit into the neighborhood than trying to stop it. Brick exterior, nice landscaping, subtle signs... If it is designed properly, it is a nice addition to the neighborhood IMO.

Complaining about a gas station being built in the suburbs is akin to complaining about tall buildings being built downtown...oh wait, people complain about that here too. Nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area