Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,591,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
I see the map is pretty dated (Aug2006).

If I were the City I would review that yearly to see how the original assumption/calculations held up and adjust accordingly. I'm no engineer nor good at math (except money math) but I cannot believe for a sec that this projection doesn't have some 3 or 5-yr markers (if not less). You cannot just project something 20 yrs from 2005 just like that. It just looks numbers drawn out of a hat. So, how far off is the actual 2009 traffic count from the projected 2009 TC?
Yeah, it is dated and is like the dated map of the land across the street. I just would love to see how they arrived at all their projected numbers. Makes no sense to me and one doesn't have to have a PhD in Physics to know when numbers don't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 PM

38 posts, read 92,882 times
Sounds like something a politician would say. There are really only three ways to fund the growth here: increase revenue (more taxes and/or increase the tax base via economic development); lower spending; or issue debt, or some combination. For my money, I'd much rather have private enterprises' facilitation of paying for growth (i.e., new businesses choosing to operate here) than put it back on the taxpayer in the form of increased tax rates, fewer government services, or debilitating public debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
"I believe you have a legitimate case here. I can see that the majority of my constituents are against this. Therefore I will do my job and work with the council to see if they can come up with another viable way to raise revenue to build the roads and fund the schools."

Old 12-30-2009, 05:01 PM

2009 traffic counts here:
http://al-madison2.civicplus.com/Doc...w.aspx?DID=235

All maps of all sorts (future land use, etc.) here:
Madison, AL - Official Website - Map Gallery

Quote:
I see the map is pretty dated (Aug2006).

If I were the City I would review that yearly to see how the original assumption/calculations held up and adjust accordingly. I'm no engineer nor good at math (except money math) but I cannot believe for a sec that this projection doesn't have some 3 or 5-yr markers (if not less). You cannot just project something 20 yrs from 2005 just like that. It just looks numbers drawn out of a hat. So, how far off is the actual 2009 traffic count from the projected 2009 TC?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,430,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uahacct View Post
2009 traffic counts here:
http://al-madison2.civicplus.com/Doc...w.aspx?DID=235

All maps of all sorts (future land use, etc.) here:
Madison, AL - Official Website - Map Gallery

I see that, but I would have liked to see how their projected 2009 (done in 2005) has held up against the actual and so forth going thru the years.
When you do a 2005 thru 2025 projection, don't you have the numbers in between, too? They're only showing A to Z, but I'd like to see B to Y as we reach those milestones. If back in 2005 they thought the 2009 would be 15,000 going to 28,000 in 2025, and the 2009 was actually 12,500 or 18,000 wouldn't an adjustment of the end count be in order?
I guess I'd have to pull the actual 2005 (that I remember seeing at one point, maybe saved it too), the 2009 and the projected 2025, and see for myself. But it gets more complicated as for example 1,000 people were laid off at WallTriana-565 TC point (Continental), or what if we get a plant at the VW supersite sometime between now and 2025(that could be Limestone, but you get my point)? Or, or..

Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 PM

I'd suggest it's a planning tool, not an exact forecast of traffic counts. This information is showing where the growth and traffic is and is headed. Unless and until the actual traffic counts contradict the 2025 plan, they won't need to true it up based on the actual traffic counts.

The development of the traffic plan should be a comprehensive one that considers the future land use map (i.e., when the growth comes, where it will go and what will it look like [residential or commercial or industrial]). Until something changes in how the city will be built out, it won't change the plan because the build out is already "baked in" to the traffic plan.

I understand what you are saying, though, that you want to make sure that they are checking to make sure traffic patterns aren't drastically different from what they predicted. I don't know for a fact this is true, but I hope it is.

Quote:
I see that, but I would have liked to see how their projected 2009 (done in 2005) has held up against the actual and so forth going thru the years.
When you do a 2005 thru 2025 projection, don't you have the numbers in between, too? They're only showing A to Z, but I'd like to see B to Y as we reach those milestones. If back in 2005 they thought the 2009 would be 15,000 going to 28,000 in 2025, and the 2009 was actually 12,500 or 18,000 wouldn't an adjustment of the end count be in order?
I guess I'd have to pull the actual 2005 (that I remember seeing at one point, maybe saved it too), the 2009 and the projected 2025, and see for myself. But it gets more complicated as for example 1,000 people were laid off at WallTriana-565 TC point (Continental), or what if we get a plant at the VW supersite sometime between now and 2025(that could be Limestone, but you get my point)? Or, or..

Last edited by uahacct; 12-30-2009 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 PM

Interesting info:

Huntsville region (Huntsville, Madison, Madison County) 2035 plan.

http://www.hsvcity.com/Planning/mpo/...al2035plan.pdf

They do address road projects and other issues like pedestrian and bicycle access.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:01 AM

73 posts, read 205,057 times
Quote:
Interesting info:

Huntsville region (Huntsville, Madison, Madison County) 2035 plan.

http://www.hsvcity.com/Planning/mpo/...al2035plan.pdf

They do address road projects and other issues like pedestrian and bicycle access.
Couple Hundred pages - you read it all yet?

Old 01-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbiron View Post
Couple Hundred pages - you read it all yet?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:17 PM

73 posts, read 205,057 times
Quote:
Not quite.

On a positive note its significantly smaller then the current health care bill.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
I'd wager as you are new to the forum that you are probably part of the city's infrastructure. And I appreciate your points. <snip> But it doesn't have to be ugly.

<snip>
I want to build goodwill. But many people, myself included, have been ridiculed, teased and downright disregarded in this matter. It's no wonder so many hackles are raised.

How do you propose to lower them?
I'm not sure what you mean by saying I'm "part of the city's infrastructure." But I certainly didn't mean to ridicule you in any way.

As for your other points, I agree that infrastructure doesn't have to be ugly, and if I were in your shoes, I'd be in there fighting tooth and nail to make sure that if the development can't be stopped, there were requirements placed on it for appearance of the building, landscaping, etc. I'd also be pushing for limitations on hours of operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area