Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Well... for this Christmas holiday we're flying out of HSV airport to California. I did the online shopping and Southwest out of Nashville (or B'ham) is not any cheaper, plus the cost of airport parking.
Don't you still have to park at HSV airport? Or, can someone drop you off.

Also, about parking at Nashville, there's a Residence Inn or Homewood Suites (I forget which) close by that will let you park there and they will shuttle you for free and pick you up. So, if traveling for a pretty long time, like more than a week, it might be cheaper (and definitely more convenient) to stay one night at the hotel (or don't stay but pay for it anyway) and park your car there and get the shuttle ride right to the curb. Beats the hassle of the long term parking bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Also, about parking at Nashville, there's a Residence Inn or Homewood Suites (I forget which) close by that will let you park there and they will shuttle you for free and pick you up. So, if traveling for a pretty long time, like more than a week, it might be cheaper (and definitely more convenient) to stay one night at the hotel (or don't stay but pay for it anyway) and park your car there and get the shuttle ride right to the curb. Beats the hassle of the long term parking bus.
Great advice. I've done this in several cities and it can save a chunk of change. The vehicle has always been where I left it in (often unfortunately) the same condition I left it in...

Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:

We plan to take a taxi. It's not far from where we are in Madison to the airport.

Yes, I've heard the same from others. Many hotels in Nashville nearby the airport do this. We'd figure the airfare alone was competitive (in this case) so we don't need to drive to Nashville.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
We plan to take a taxi. It's not far from where we are in Madison to the airport.
See, that's what happens when you aren't friends with your neighbors. I had this one neighbor who once needed a ride to the airport. Guess what? No way. You know why? Because he used to scare us while we innocent little kids were riding our scooters in the neighborhood. He gave us dirty looks and waved a golf club at us.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
See, that's what happens when you aren't friends with your neighbors. I had this one neighbor who once needed a ride to the airport. Guess what? No way. You know why? Because he used to scare us while we innocent little kids were riding our scooters in the neighborhood. He gave us dirty looks and waved a golf club at us.
OK Charles, I can expect you come to give us a ride now ?

We are cordial with our neighbors but we also know, by not burden either our friends or neighbors with little things like a ride to airport, we can keep them as friends & good neighbors longer

Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times
We just priced out flights to Costa Rica, we will be saving just over $2000 flying out of Atlanta. The prices for Birmingham, Nashville, and Huntsville were all relatively comparable and wouldn't have been worth the small difference to drive/park....$2000 is another story, we won't be taking a taxi and although we are friendly enough with our neighbors, we won't be asking for a ride

Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
We just priced out flights to Costa Rica, we will be saving just over $2000 flying out of Atlanta. The prices for Birmingham, Nashville, and Huntsville were all relatively comparable and wouldn't have been worth the small difference to drive/park....$2000 is another story, we won't be taking a taxi and although we are friendly enough with our neighbors, we won't be asking for a ride
Try to find a hotel near the Atlanta airport and do the park there and shuttle in thing rather than pay for parking. You might find something for $80/night which might be cheaper than parking and they will drop you off right at the curb.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
we won't be taking a taxi and although we are friendly enough with our neighbors, we won't be asking for a ride
Ask Charles to give you a ride

Old 12-04-2009, 07:21 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Just saw a travel "expert" on the CBS morning show talking about most expensive and cheapest airports in the nation. "The most expensive airport in the nation will shock you." Huntsville, Alabama." According to the figures he gave, people flying into or out of Huntsville paid $417 a ticket, right about twice what the average cost was out of the nation's cheapest airport (Long Beach). Of course, it being the show it is, there was no reason given. (Meaning, it just hits the high points, not analysis, got to hurry to the entertainment.)

It is markedly higher than soooo many other places...and we're not as isolated and have a bigger population as some other airports I've had to use for less money. I don't understand it...

Old 12-04-2009, 09:09 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
It is markedly higher than soooo many other places...and we're not as isolated and have a bigger population as some other airports I've had to use for less money. I don't understand it...
govt. sponsored business travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area