Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM

13,489 posts, read 9,979,020 times

Advertisements

This isn't "development" per se, but also doesn't justify a new thread ....

ALDOT did a little repaving overnight on 565 near Rideout Rd in the eastbound lanes. The excessive rain we had over the winter washed the top layer, and maybe even more, of the asphalt off so they did a temporary pothole patch soon after it happened. Last night, they came in, milled sections of the old pavement off, and layed down a new layer. Nice job ... it's for the most part seamless. All it needs now is re-striping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 03:38 PM

46,661 posts, read 27,494,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
I'm amazed that Kroger hasn't built somewhere out on 53 or north on 231/431, as the closest Kroger for Hwy 53 is Jeff Road and the closest for 231/431 is probably Winchester Rd/Moores Mill (assuming folks know where is actually is and can follow the back road Countess, otherwise it's Oakwood [and I don't shop there at night]).

STAY AWAY FROM HWY 53, past Jeff road anyway...........................LOL...Sor ry......I live just off 53, and we don't want/need anything else out this way.....

Old 06-14-2019, 06:45 AM

3,040 posts, read 3,674,979 times
The Huntsville City Council approved an agreement with Navistar for a $125 million plant that will create some 145 jobs. Navistar employs 126 workers at the diesel engine plant near Huntsville International Airport. The new facility will make gear box assemblies and be adjacent to the existing engine plant. Scheduled to open in 2022.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:58 AM

296 posts, read 245,670 times
Anyone know what's going in at the corner of Jeff and Blake Bottom road? Tax map just says Monrovia Holding Company. Lot has been scraped, and it looks like Kennedy is getting ready to move the house (which will no doubt sit somewhere for years and be an eyesore, like the one in front of the new Publix on Wall Triana).

Old 06-14-2019, 12:13 PM

766 posts, read 1,128,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Anyone know what's going in at the corner of Jeff and Blake Bottom road? Tax map just says Monrovia Holding Company. Lot has been scraped, and it looks like Kennedy is getting ready to move the house (which will no doubt sit somewhere for years and be an eyesore, like the one in front of the new Publix on Wall Triana).

When I happened to drive by there this weekend, I noticed that there was a "For Sale - Commercial Property" sign in front of the lot. That was sort of amusing to me, because there is no zoning in Madison County. The only exception to that is when a developer buys land and creates a residential subdivision, they then place deed restrictions on all of the lots. They have to do that in order to give potential home buyers confidence to purchase a home in the development - who would buy a house when a mobile home or commercial property could go in on the lot next door to you?

For the lot at Jeff and Blake Bottom, I would expect to see a CVS Pharmacy (Walgreens is already across the street), or a fast food (Lawler's BBQ is just down the street) or possibly a gas station. That location is central to the most expensive neighborhoods in Monrovia and there is a new subdivision being built on the north side of the lot with $300,000 homes in it, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a buyer for that lot with all of the high income households nearby.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
When I happened to drive by there this weekend, I noticed that there was a "For Sale - Commercial Property" sign in front of the lot. That was sort of amusing to me, because there is no zoning in Madison County. The only exception to that is when a developer buys land and creates a residential subdivision, they then place deed restrictions on all of the lots. They have to do that in order to give potential home buyers confidence to purchase a home in the development - who would buy a house when a mobile home or commercial property could go in on the lot next door to you?

For the lot at Jeff and Blake Bottom, I would expect to see a CVS Pharmacy (Walgreens is already across the street), or a fast food (Lawler's BBQ is just down the street) or possibly a gas station. That location is central to the most expensive neighborhoods in Monrovia and there is a new subdivision being built on the north side of the lot with $300,000 homes in it, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a buyer for that lot with all of the high income households nearby.
Wouldn't Madison County be better off if it adopted county-wide zoning? For the very reason you stated.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,623,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
This is the Kroger next to Ashley Furniture isn't it? I actually thought it closed some years ago, but apparently not.

Edit: Just read David's post, so it must have been Bruno's that closed some years ago.
Sorry to be late to the game but I just found this post...

Kroger's originally was where Virginia College was. Back then Walmart was where Kroger is now.
Kmart was across the street where Academy Sports is now.

When Kmart closed Walmart moved into its vacant building. Kroger then moved into the former Walmart building. Where Kroger was eventually renovated to make way for Virginia College.

After Walmart closed because of building of the new Walmart Supercenter the building was torn down to make way for Academy Sports and ALDIs.

Ashley Furniture is located in the building that used to be Bruno's.

I remember all this because I have lived in this part of town for over 25 years. I frequented both Kroger's and Walmart and watched as they moved around. When Walmart was practically right next to Kroger's I could shop at Walmart and walk over to Kroger's to finish my shopping. I shopped at Walmart more than Kmart because it was more convenient. When Kroger's took over the old Walmart building they renovated the building. When they finished and reopened in the new located it seemed the prices were higher. Whether that was true or not I can't say but it would make sense as a way to pay for the renovation.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't Madison County be better off if it adopted county-wide zoning? For the very reason you stated.
Can a county even have zoning laws? I thought zoning was for towns and cities.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Can a county even have zoning laws? I thought zoning was for towns and cities.
I don't see why they can't. They are a government entity, just like a city. What would solve the issue is a metro government, or at the very least combine some services, like police. Utilities are already combined and it works great. Full metro is not going to happen because of schools.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I don't see why they can't. They are a government entity, just like a city. What would solve the issue is a metro government, or at the very least combine some services, like police. Utilities are already combined and it works great. Full metro is not going to happen because of schools.
You have to consider that a lot of people live in the rural county areas to avoid the stranglehold of city governments. Lack of zoning is one thing they are trying to avoid. I bet if you put it up to a vote most people in the rural county would vote against anything that would restrict what would restrict their lives.

You do find people that would like zoning to prevent some "undesirable" activities locating next door to them. I find only a little sympathy for them because they should have known that was always a possibility when they moved to a rural area. The one way to minimize this is for a person to buy enough adjacent land to put a buffer between them and their neighbors. Of course only the people with plenty of money are able to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area