Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 05:28 PM

198 posts, read 253,047 times

Advertisements

These parking lots are finally turning into something downtown. I hope the 2nd hotel for CityCentre is tall as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 06:36 PM

13,434 posts, read 9,954,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL2HSV View Post
It looks like the city council will vote on a development agreement for a 9 story Hyatt house for the parking lot at the corner of Holmes and Jefferson street. The 145 room hotel will a full service restaurant, rooftop bar, and a public plaza that ties into the Washington street park/alley. Construction must start by Jan. 1 2020 with completion in 2021.

9 stories will make this hotel one of the tallest buildings downtown. The city needs to demand good design since they are giving incentives.

Not treating at linking on my phone if someone wants to pull the agreement from the city council agenda. It does have the site plan.
Is the site where the parking lot for the Heritage Club was, directly across Holmes from the current US Court House? If so, some years ago, before the Heritage Club moved, then closed, there was supposed to be a 20+ story building there, which obviously never happened.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:52 PM

396 posts, read 670,553 times
Please, please, please - great design. No cookie-cutter or brick boxes. Something nice... please

Old 07-24-2019, 09:13 PM

42 posts, read 53,874 times
I went through the city council agenda for 7/25 and found a good bit of good information.. city approved the ground lease to citycentre to start the apartments by the AC hotel. I also found the layouts for the Hyatt Place but i do not know how to upload photos here.

I also read that the city has entered into parking agreement for the new Hampton Inn and Suites.

Providence has requested building heights increased to 8 stories in the core of the development.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:36 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Is the site where the parking lot for the Heritage Club was, directly across Holmes from the current US Court House? If so, some years ago, before the Heritage Club moved, then closed, there was supposed to be a 20+ story building there, which obviously never happened.
yes the surface lot, this follows the downtown master plan adopted a year or so ago.
When the new Federal Courthouse is completed (currently in the design/planning phase) probably 5 years, the old one could be a nice event space across from this hotel.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:16 AM

156 posts, read 179,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointshsvguy View Post
I went through the city council agenda for 7/25 and found a good bit of good information.. city approved the ground lease to citycentre to start the apartments by the AC hotel. I also found the layouts for the Hyatt Place but i do not know how to upload photos here.

I also read that the city has entered into parking agreement for the new Hampton Inn and Suites.

Providence has requested building heights increased to 8 stories in the core of the development.
I saw the Providence request too. I assume the Slyman’s wouldn’t be seeking the increase without a reason or something planned. I’m all for density and love how Providence has turned out...but 8 stories seems like it would stick out in that development model. I’ll be excited to see what they have planned.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 AM

766 posts, read 1,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL2HSV View Post
I saw the Providence request too. I assume the Slyman’s wouldn’t be seeking the increase without a reason or something planned. I’m all for density and love how Providence has turned out...but 8 stories seems like it would stick out in that development model. I’ll be excited to see what they have planned.

They are planning on building two hotels and three or four restaurants - I know someone who was interested in buying one of the townhomes they are building on the west side of Indian Creek (over the bridge) and the realtor told him this information. These hotels will be built on the surface lot that you see on your left when you drive in to Providence from University. The realtor also said that they will construct a multi-level parking garage within the building - This explains the request for 8 stories. I would imagine that the first three floors would be garage and the hotel rooms will be above that.

In some ways, Providence is more urban or higher in density than Downtown Huntsville. Once this lot in Providence is built, there won't be much of the development that is surface parking lots. Some of the remaining parking lots may be developed, too. The long term master plan has townhomes to be built behind Edgar's Bakery, so that whole street, Biltmore Dr. will have townhomes or apartments along it. Downtown Huntsville still has a good amount of surface parking lots - even in the original grid of streets, north of the Square, mostly defined by Washington St. and Jefferson St. there are still some surface lots in use. Also, a good portion of the buildings in this grid are not more than two stories, although that it changing with the new apartments which have been built. The biggest lot is across from the Regions Bank high rise on Clinton Avenue where Huntsville Utilities still has a large parking lot for its employees, which is definitely underutilized real estate.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
They are planning on building two hotels and three or four restaurants - I know someone who was interested in buying one of the townhomes they are building on the west side of Indian Creek (over the bridge) and the realtor told him this information. These hotels will be built on the surface lot that you see on your left when you drive in to Providence from University. The realtor also said that they will construct a multi-level parking garage within the building - This explains the request for 8 stories. I would imagine that the first three floors would be garage and the hotel rooms will be above that.

In some ways, Providence is more urban or higher in density than Downtown Huntsville. Once this lot in Providence is built, there won't be much of the development that is surface parking lots. Some of the remaining parking lots may be developed, too. The long term master plan has townhomes to be built behind Edgar's Bakery, so that whole street, Biltmore Dr. will have townhomes or apartments along it. Downtown Huntsville still has a good amount of surface parking lots - even in the original grid of streets, north of the Square, mostly defined by Washington St. and Jefferson St. there are still some surface lots in use. Also, a good portion of the buildings in this grid are not more than two stories, although that it changing with the new apartments which have been built. The biggest lot is across from the Regions Bank high rise on Clinton Avenue where Huntsville Utilities still has a large parking lot for its employees, which is definitely underutilized real estate.
with the upcoming demolition of Sparkman Homes (public housing west of I-565 along Holmes) it will be interesting to see how downtown and Westside develop/merge over the coming years. That is a major chunk of land that will be coming to market. Holmes Ave corridor will see major additions and changes to their neighborhoods.

Last edited by AU HSV; 07-25-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 AM

410 posts, read 703,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
with the upcoming demolition of Sparkman Homes (public housing west of the Parkway along Clinton) it will be interesting to see how downtown and Westside develop/merge over the coming years. That is a major chunk of land that will be coming to market. Stovehouse, Lowe Mill and the Clinton Ave corridor will see major additions and changes to their neighborhoods.
Aren't the Sparkman Homes the ones along Holmes Ave just to the west of 565?

Old 07-25-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Aren't the Sparkman Homes the ones along Holmes Ave just to the west of 565?
yes you are correct, my apologies, affectionately known as Mason Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area