Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 PM

13,437 posts, read 9,954,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
It is interesting that when the Bradford Drive and Research Park Blvd intersection was planned it was going to be ground level (and a stoplight?) with a future upgrade to an overpass. There was so much outcry that plans were changed so it was built from the start with an overpass.

The northern bypass was on a map of Huntsville I bought in 1979 when I moved to Huntsville. Back then Rideout Road going north ended at University Drive. We are fortunate that 50 years ago they thought far enough ahead to plan for this. I am glad it is finally being done even if it took 50 years.
Yes, I remember it being planned as a signal-controlled intersection. Can you imagine how things would be if they hadn't built an interchange there? It would've been a traffic disaster. I'm not sure if it goes back past 1979 or not, but it's been a long time.

Seems like when I first came to Huntsville in 1966, "Corridor X" (which in the end became I-22) was on the planning table then, and it's only recently been finished. Things move slowly in Alabama. It actually looks like the "northern bypass" is being planned correctly though, and will be built with room for future needs ... "nice to haves" now, but will be needed in the coming years. It'll be interesting to see how much that road alleviates tie-ups on the Parkway and 565 though. That interchange just needs to be razed and rebuilt properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 PM

766 posts, read 1,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
It is interesting that when the Bradford Drive and Research Park Blvd intersection was planned it was going to be ground level (and a stoplight?) with a future upgrade to an overpass. There was so much outcry that plans were changed so it was built from the start with an overpass.

The northern bypass was on a map of Huntsville I bought in 1979 when I moved to Huntsville. Back then Rideout Road going north ended at University Drive. We are fortunate that 50 years ago they thought far enough ahead to plan for this. I am glad it is finally being done even if it took 50 years.

I never heard of plans to build a ground level intersection signal with Bradford with a traffic signal. Research Park Boulevard (originally Rideout Road) has always been a controlled access highway. In fact, in 1969, there was an interstate grade interchange built with Old Madison Pike when that area was the end of development in the Huntsville area. Once you drove west of the Sherwood Park neighborhood, there were no more subdivisions. So, the highway was always designed to be a controlled access highway.

The issue with Bradford began after the City of Huntsville had purchased almost 1,000 acres of the Bradford family's cotton farm now known as Cummings Research Park West. The City wanted better access to the new area of CRP and they petitioned the State of Alabama to build the Bradford
Dr. interchange. This was a real catalyst for the development of that area as it now had quick access to the whole area - I-565 opened shortly after this.

The predecessor to Regions Bank - First National Bank of Huntsville used to distribute area maps and on the maps were the planned route for the extension of what was then called Rideout Rd. The route was to go far south of the current planned route and would have gone through several neighborhoods in Northwest Huntsville. It was to have gone parallel to Stringfield Rd. crossed over Pulaski Pike where the May Jemison High School sits today, continued just south of Rolling Hills Elementary School and crossed the Parkway very near where Bennett's Nursery sits. Quite a number of homes would have been removed. By the late 1980's the route was changed to go north of Wade Mountain near the Toyota plant and along Bob Wade Lane.

Also, at one time the far eastern portion east of the Parkway was projected to go way east and cross US 72 East just west of Gurley (where the quarry is) and then connect with the where the Eastern Bypass is near McMullen Cove. That is the reason that Eastern Bypass got its name and also, you will notice there is a lot of grass between the north and south bound lanes - this was so that the controlled access main lanes could be built in the middle like Research Park Blvd. north of University was for several years before the overpass was built over AL 53. now the plans have changed and AL 255 will end at US 72 just east of the Moores Mill Rd. /Shields Rd. area.

It is interesting that a road that was originally designed to get traffic off the Arsenal has had several different route plans and even today, ALDOT has not announced all of the property that will need to be purchased to get to it US 72 East.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:31 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,621,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I never heard of plans to build a ground level intersection signal with Bradford with a traffic signal. Research Park Boulevard (originally Rideout Road) has always been a controlled access highway. In fact, in 1969, there was an interstate grade interchange built with Old Madison Pike when that area was the end of development in the Huntsville area. Once you drove west of the Sherwood Park neighborhood, there were no more subdivisions. So, the highway was always designed to be a controlled access highway.
I lived in Sherwood Park at the time and used Rideout Road to go work at NASA every day. I definitely remember there was an announcement that there would be a ground level intersection signal with Bradford with a traffic signal. The complaints were so loud and swift that the state had plenty of time to change the plans and come up with the money to build a full interchange. I suspect that someone with clout got involved and pressured the state to make the change. Also note that Huntsville had big plans for Cummings Research Park West. If this became as big as they hoped they might have been afraid that a ground level intersection there would become a bottleneck and hinder development. It might have taken many years to upgrade to a full interchange after it became apparent that the ground level intersection was woefully inadequate. Considering how hard it was (and still is) to get road money from the state I don't blame them.

BTW, back then a friend had a side business where he developed software for law offices. He started with the business in his home. I was surprised when he told me he was buying land in Cummings Research Park West to relocate his business. Because of minimum requirements he had to make the building a lot bigger than he needed. Still his building was much smaller than the other buildings there. Note his business was only the fourth one to locate in Cummings Research Park West so it wasn't hard to find it when I drove there to visit him. I suspect he considered this was an investment and years later sold the land for a big profit.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times
it will be interesting to see how the now "declared dead" I-10 Bridge project in Mobile will impact the rest of the state. If that remains the case it should free up a tremendous amount of funding that Huntsville should now be going after. First on the list expand I-565 correctly from Wall Triana west to Highway 31 in Decatur and east to Ryland Pike.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:00 AM

13,437 posts, read 9,954,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
it will be interesting to see how the now "declared dead" I-10 Bridge project in Mobile will impact the rest of the state. If that remains the case it should free up a tremendous amount of funding that Huntsville should now be going after. First on the list expand I-565 correctly from Wall Triana west to Highway 31 in Decatur and east to Ryland Pike.
I suspect that "dead" project will be resurrected and will come to pass at some point. I have no idea if there's a pressing need for such a thing down there or not ... haven't been to Mobile in many years.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:00 AM

166 posts, read 185,403 times
Quote:
Some article I saw stated that it might not be a good thing for the state as a whole. Rejecting money designated for roadwork probably won't be looked at as a good thing on the federal level. Even though it's probably the right thing for that area, it still is roadwork that needed to be done. Other states are probably not rejecting that type of money too often. They should have known better than to try to push a high toll in Alabama. It's another thing that will hold the state back economically. I don't know why the sides can't compromise, and the governor just seemed to go along with it.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
Some article I saw stated that it might not be a good thing for the state as a whole. Rejecting money designated for roadwork probably won't be looked at as a good thing on the federal level. Even though it's probably the right thing for that area, it still is roadwork that needed to be done. Other states are probably not rejecting that type of money too often. They should have known better than to try to push a high toll in Alabama. It's another thing that will hold the state back economically. I don't know why the sides can't compromise, and the governor just seemed to go along with it.
plus the state has to refund money back to the Feds. A lot of time and effort wasted, while the bridge is needed it seemed extravagant but at the same time they actually designed a bridge that tried to include everything, bike lanes, enough lanes to handle traffic for 50 years, high enough to allow any size ship to pass and withstand floods and hurricanes.
Basically they have to start over it seems, something sometime will be built.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:20 AM

Freddy's may be coming to Madison on Balch at US 72. Seems to be a lot like Steak n Shake which by the way is still thriving in front of Mid City. One of those places that serves pretty good food that you forget about.
website doesn't indicate it yet
https://freddysusa.com/

Old 08-29-2019, 07:24 AM

410 posts, read 703,556 times
Quote:
Freddy's may be coming to Madison on Balch at US 72. Seems to be a lot like Steak n Shake which by the way is still thriving in front of Mid City. One of those places that serves pretty good food that you forget about.
website doesn't indicate it yet
https://freddysusa.com/
In front of the strip with Lawlers and Firehouse? I saw they were clearing land there.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
In front of the strip with Lawlers and Firehouse? I saw they were clearing land there.
yes I believe so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area