Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2022, 08:15 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,894,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The message board/traffic cameras for 565 is letting the contract this month. It's for 3 message boards and 11 cameras. Not sure how they'll do the 3 message boards unless they're double-sided for each direction. When the project was mentioned some months ago, the ALDOT guy estimated 10 message boards, which seems more realistic for about 20 miles, but I suppose the cost of the things has gone up (but by a factor of 3?). BTW - the cameras are not "red-light cameras" for traffic enforcement; they're just for monitoring traffic flow and issues. There are none in Madison County at the present time.

I believe work time is 180 days, and if that's work days at 5 per week, it's 9 months total.
Hopefully the message boards here will be updated regularly. We were stuck in a traffic jam on I65 recently and could see one of them for around 30 to 45 minutes and it never changed. It stated travel times to exits at 6 minutes, 10 minutes etc like we were all traveling the speed limit. I have seen some in other areas that will have Amber alerts on them and those sorts of things. I really think these message boards are already outdated and they are just now starting to install them. The apps and navigation data on our phones are real time. I would rather they spend those millions on actual road improvement and building projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 12:09 PM

13,387 posts, read 9,905,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Hopefully the message boards here will be updated regularly. We were stuck in a traffic jam on I65 recently and could see one of them for around 30 to 45 minutes and it never changed. It stated travel times to exits at 6 minutes, 10 minutes etc like we were all traveling the speed limit. I have seen some in other areas that will have Amber alerts on them and those sorts of things. I really think these message boards are already outdated and they are just now starting to install them. The apps and navigation data on our phones are real time. I would rather they spend those millions on actual road improvement and building projects.
That's the thing - the message boards would be very useful if they were kept updated in a timely manner. And they apparently have the data available (see algotraffic.com and click on "Maps"). If you zoom in so you can read a certain area, the slowdowns and jams are shown. Plus, they sometimes have trivial information on them (click it or ticket, as everybody knows, things of that nature). But, overall, they're useful. 565 has traffic stalls daily, particularly morning and evening rush hours.

But if they're not up to date, as in your example, they're really worse than useless. They'll only need 3 of 'em updated here though so that shouldn't be too big a task.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:52 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,666,252 times
Work is beginning on a 350-unit apartment development in the Huntsville area.

Attain at Bradford Creek will be located at 556 Martin Road, near Huntsville International Airport.
First units are expected to be delivered in March 2024, with the full project completed by the end of September 2024.
With the continued expansion of the FBI complex and the expected relocation of The Space Command this will be a very convenient location between Redstone’s Gate 7 and the airport. This has become a big concentration of residences. Hint: wherever Publix builds a store more developments are on the way.

https://www.al.com/business/2022/12/...r-airport.html

Old 12-08-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Work is beginning on a 350-unit apartment development in the Huntsville area.

Attain at Bradford Creek will be located at 556 Martin Road, near Huntsville International Airport.
First units are expected to be delivered in March 2024, with the full project completed by the end of September 2024.
With the continued expansion of the FBI complex and the expected relocation of The Space Command this will be a very convenient location between Redstone’s Gate 7 and the airport. This has become a big concentration of residences. Hint: wherever Publix builds a store more developments are on the way.

https://www.al.com/business/2022/12/...r-airport.html
Is this the first phase of the complex that was mentioned a few months ago just west of Lake Forest on Martin Rd? Seems like the total buildout was to have about 750 units. This kinda sounds like an additional one.

The new complex in Town Madison, on the south side of Town Madison Blvd is coming along, but slowly. I'm sure the recent rains have slowed things down and it looks like pretty much all that's been done so far is laying large drainage pipes. I think it's called Silver Apartments.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but Town Madison will have a new fire station built, along with a new police precinct. Not sure when construction will start. That's a good thing for me since I live in Edgewater and the nearest stations are several miles away. Huntsville could use another precinct on the west side of the city but I don't know if that's in the cards or not.

Old 12-08-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Is this the first phase of the complex that was mentioned a few months ago just west of Lake Forest on Martin Rd? Seems like the total buildout was to have about 750 units. This kinda sounds like an additional one.

The new complex in Town Madison, on the south side of Town Madison Blvd is coming along, but slowly. I'm sure the recent rains have slowed things down and it looks like pretty much all that's been done so far is laying large drainage pipes. I think it's called Silver Apartments.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but Town Madison will have a new fire station built, along with a new police precinct. Not sure when construction will start. That's a good thing for me since I live in Edgewater and the nearest stations are several miles away. Huntsville could use another precinct on the west side of the city but I don't know if that's in the cards or not.
Huntsville is building a new fire station in Limestone county

Old 12-09-2022, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 21,835 times
Quote:
Given your route, couldn't you get on 565 at County Line and then exit onto Research Park Blvd, then to Governors West?

Yeah, this is the route I took daily before having kids in the car. The intersection of 565 on-ramp and County Line Rd can get pretty nuts and then you've got some pretty crazy driving (folks racing and weaving, or simply stopped traffic heading eastbound). I've found it easier, and less stressful, to head down Madison Blvd in the AMs. I do occasionally still take 565 when it looks free and clear and the intersection doesn't back up too much.

Old 12-09-2022, 10:02 AM

Bombshells restaurant coming to 7001 University Dr, (US 72)

Bombshells Restaurants and Bars

Old 12-09-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Bombshells restaurant coming to 7001 University Dr, (US 72)

Bombshells Restaurants and Bars
Looks interesting ....

Old 12-09-2022, 12:32 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,716 times
Quote:
Looks interesting ....
It's blocked here at work, so I'm guessing it isn't a family friendly establishment.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:55 PM

166 posts, read 185,121 times
So will Hooter's go out of business? Seems like they barely get any now.

Twin Peaks and this Bombshells place will be stealing their talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area