Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 10:30 AM

156 posts, read 179,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Is this across from the new Buffalo Rock new distribution building ?
It looks like this will be directly north of the Buffalo Rock. The new two lane east to west road with separate the two lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 01:32 PM

13,433 posts, read 9,946,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
The outside replica was built under Mike Wing, the same con man who came up with the sponsored Space Camp scholarship scam.

The story says Alabama sued him for $7.5 million over the whole affair, but it was settled for $500,000. (Though I struggle to believe that even that was collected.)

From Alabama he went to Texas, stole some millions of dollars and finally went to prison for seven years. (Moral of the story I guess is commit your white collar crime in Alabama and not in Texas.)

Unbelievably (given his history), some morons in Idaho then allowed him to fund raise for a high school athletic complex.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/1...aseball-coach/

Sorry for the tirade, but the man almost killed the space and rocket center. And shows no remorse.

“I finished my time with honor and distinction,” Wing said. “When does somebody have an opportunity to give back and help kids? Why does someone have to be so judged on their past?”

I guess con men are good at what they do, which is why people keep trusting them.
That was a pretty bad time or the Space and Rocket Center. He just about ruined the whole thing, and should have spent prison time in Alabama. Perhaps that would have saved his scams in Texas and Idaho.

I think it's all good now - just struggling because of the pandemic and the fact that they got no stimulus payments (from what I understand, museums couldn't get stimulus payments - but somehow an art gallery in NYC [that happens to sell a certain person's "paintings"] got about $3/4M). Not sure if Wing's dealings affected stimulus funding for the US S&RC or not. Don't know if you noticed or not, but they didn't fly the US flag for quite some time because - the flags are too expensive and they had no money to buy new ones. And flags take a beating on the tall flag pole they have and they have to be replaced fairly frequently.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Cool. Looks like they'll be doing some hardware manufacturing here as well, which is something that's been lacking for a while. Blue Origin is now building engines here and Aerojet Rocketdyne is doing some hardware work, but for a long time it was mostly R&D (ULA work in Decatur notwithstanding). Back in Apollo days, there was a good bit - the first few Saturn Vs were built here, and the Instrument Unit was built by IBM here. Good things happening in this area for sure.

Anybody heard anything from the Space Command's HQ moving here? Don't think I've heard anything since the Colorado congressman pitched a hissy fit over the planned move, but don't think I've heard if anything's happened since then. Presumably his efforts were to no avail.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Is this across from the new Buffalo Rock new distribution building ?
I wonder if it actually IS the Buffalo Rock facility? But it can't be - it's in Limestone County - this one looks like it'll be in Madison County (east of County Line Road).

1 million square feet is about the same size as the new Amazon distribution warehouse, and that thing is HUGE.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL2HSV View Post
It looks like this will be directly north of the Buffalo Rock. The new two lane east to west road with separate the two lots.
The reference said it will be east of County Line Rd, which is in Madison County (there's quite a bit of vacant land between CLR and the built-up area, so it's feasible). The Buffalo Rock facitilty is, I think, in Limestone County. So this one seems to be east of Buffalo Rock, and much larger.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:17 PM

156 posts, read 179,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The reference said it will be east of County Line Rd, which is in Madison County (there's quite a bit of vacant land between CLR and the built-up area, so it's feasible). The Buffalo Rock facitilty is, I think, in Limestone County. So this one seems to be east of Buffalo Rock, and much larger.
That is my mistake. It is West of County Line. It will be in Limestone next to Buffalo Rock.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL2HSV View Post
That is my mistake. It is West of County Line. It will be in Limestone next to Buffalo Rock.
No problem - thanks.

It must be pretty near the James Clemens High School.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:42 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,206,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Cool. Looks like they'll be doing some hardware manufacturing here as well, which is something that's been lacking for a while. Blue Origin is now building engines here and Aerojet Rocketdyne is doing some hardware work, but for a long time it was mostly R&D (ULA work in Decatur notwithstanding). Back in Apollo days, there was a good bit - the first few Saturn Vs were built here, and the Instrument Unit was built by IBM here. Good things happening in this area for sure.

Anybody heard anything from the Space Command's HQ moving here? Don't think I've heard anything since the Colorado congressman pitched a hissy fit over the planned move, but don't think I've heard if anything's happened since then. Presumably his efforts were to no avail.
I’ve heard it’s not going well. Colorado senators have found or it’s arisen that Trump influenced the decision, or at least he took credit. Inside story is that all moves towards Huntsville have been halted. Not sure what is being done or just a pause.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:27 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,057 times
Get a behind the scenes update on the new amphitheater under construction

https://www.facebook.com/huntsvillecity

Old 10-14-2021, 11:34 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,206,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I’ve heard it’s not going well. Colorado senators have found or it’s arisen that Trump influenced the decision, or at least he took credit. Inside story is that all moves towards Huntsville have been halted. Not sure what is being done or just a pause.
Not too much in this article. https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...575520761.html

Appears everything is somewhat waiting on the ongoing IG and GAO reports that are re-reviewing the decision. Same as BRAC. That was contentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area