Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 07:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,666,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that. We'll see if any of these places stay open as long as Shakalaka did.

Was the go-kart place Veloce in the wrong location right across from Mid-City?
Veloce closed due to theft and embezzlement.
"It appears the lead manager was arrested for embezzlement on December 19, jail records show, charged with taking cash and gift cards from the business".

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/cus...udden-closure/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 07:50 AM

166 posts, read 185,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Veloce closed due to theft and embezzlement.
"It appears the lead manager was arrested for embezzlement on December 19, jail records show, charged with taking cash and gift cards from the business".

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/cus...udden-closure/

That's what I'm saying. There's more going into closing than location.
Location is not really a problem in Huntsville, especially not being central like University Drive is. It's whether the people choose to go or not for whatever reason.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:01 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,894,586 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with that. We'll see if any of these places stay open as long as Shakalaka did.

Same here. I read the posts and thought, is 3 or 4 minutes more driving time to a location right in the middle of the city where Shakalaka was a problem? I don't think location was the issue. It really doesn't get more centrally located or easier to get to than Shakalaka's location. Perhaps the problem was people just don't really want to pay $15 or whatever it was to bounce around on trampolines. I know a few people that went a time or two and a few that had birthday parties there and for whatever reason they didn't seem very enthusiastic about going back. It is most likely it just wasn't enough fun to be something people come back to again and again and sustain the business.

Veloce was just a business train wreck. Everybody I know that went loved it and was planning on going again. The reservations were pretty booked up in advance and local businesses had employee events there a lot on Fridays. It had a lot of potential of doing really well had the manager not ran it into the ground.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:35 AM

652 posts, read 721,111 times
Quote:

Veloce was in a location with no visibility from University Drive or Mid-City.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:37 AM

166 posts, read 185,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
That's not the reason it closed.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:50 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,894,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
That isn't a very good excuse. I can't see MidCity unless I happen to drive by it either. Veloce was right off University and easy to get to. Advertising and then word of mouth will bring customers in if it is worth the visit. A good example of this would be restaurants that are way off the beaten path but yet they are very successful. One of those would be Greenbrier restaurant. There is now a lot of development in that area but for years that restaurant was in the middle of nowhere but yet everyone knew about it.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:33 PM

13,378 posts, read 9,905,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
That isn't a very good excuse. I can't see MidCity unless I happen to drive by it either. Veloce was right off University and easy to get to. Advertising and then word of mouth will bring customers in if it is worth the visit. A good example of this would be restaurants that are way off the beaten path but yet they are very successful. One of those would be Greenbrier restaurant. There is now a lot of development in that area but for years that restaurant was in the middle of nowhere but yet everyone knew about it.
Greenbrier even has a bit of national fame. I knew guy who'd come into town visiting and take home a bunch of hushpuppies. Not sure how they'd taste after they'd sat overnight though.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:31 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,619,886 times
Quote:
That's what I'm saying. There's more going into closing than location.
Location is not really a problem in Huntsville, especially not being central like University Drive is. It's whether the people choose to go or not for whatever reason.
A lot of businesses closed after service roads were built on Memorial Parkway. These businesses were forgotten once the overpasses were completed. Some of them might have eventually closed anyways but the decreased customer traffic hurried things along. I remember one business managed to survive only because it was lucky enough to have the money to relocate to a better location away from the service roads.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:37 PM

13,378 posts, read 9,905,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
A lot of businesses closed after service roads were built on Memorial Parkway. These businesses were forgotten once the overpasses were completed. Some of them might have eventually closed anyways but the decreased customer traffic hurried things along. I remember one business managed to survive only because it was lucky enough to have the money to relocate to a better location away from the service roads.
Yes, they certainly did close and it makes the sides of Parkway look almost like a third world country with all the vacant buildings. Without the freeway in the middle and use of service roads however, you'd never be able to go anywhere with any speed. When I first came to town, the Parkway was all surface roads with traffic lights and it was a mess.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:01 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,666,252 times
Nice aerial of the new amphitheater under construction at Mid City

https://www.facebook.com/89197074421...890328364/?d=n
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area