Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 10:34 PM

100 posts, read 113,810 times

Advertisements

I saw on Channel 19 tonight where Madison will widen a section of Hughes Rd. to 5 lanes around Eastview and a section of Wall Triana going north to the railroad tracks that will be 5 laned too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 AM

127 posts, read 112,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSHSV View Post
Uh oh, I don’t have a good feeling about this. The answer to Huntsville’s Major music entertainment change may be denied, at least for MidCity location. Traffic flow is important and they will have enough parking for it next to it and many garages throughout MidCity. If they can’t agree to approve this I’d be disappointed.

What are yalls thoughts on it?

My question is what is the break even time for this investment? As someone else pointed out there are similar venues in comparably sized cities so it should be easy for the city to make an informed estimate. Seems like a lot of money in my opinion but if the city can back it up with cold, hard stats showing it will be a net gain then sure go for it.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 AM

410 posts, read 703,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinb View Post
My question is what is the break even time for this investment? As someone else pointed out there are similar venues in comparably sized cities so it should be easy for the city to make an informed estimate. Seems like a lot of money in my opinion but if the city can back it up with cold, hard stats showing it will be a net gain then sure go for it.
I'm most excited about the new indoor concert venue at the VBC (and hopefully an indoor one at MidCity too), but I'd love an amphitheater dedicated to live music as well. I wonder if this affects the decision any...

https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...503640071.html

Old 01-02-2019, 12:44 PM

13,434 posts, read 9,954,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
I'm most excited about the new indoor concert venue at the VBC (and hopefully an indoor one at MidCity too), but I'd love an amphitheater dedicated to live music as well. I wonder if this affects the decision any...

https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...503640071.html
It's been the plan since the beginning for the baseball stadium to be "multi-use" so I doubt that it impacts the amphitheater in the short run at least, since the Madison plan has been around for at least a year. I'd feel better at a concert in a real amphitheater. I remember they had some at Joe Davis and the acousitics weren't that great. The amphitheater will have a concert stage with state-of-the-art sound. It's not really the same experience.

I've been to a couple of concerts on the Arsenal and even though they don't have any seating, it's pretty nice and the sound is good. Which reminds me ... wasn't there a plan at one time to have an amphitheater at Redstone Gateway? Now THAT would affect one at MidCity.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:35 PM

271 posts, read 297,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
...wasn't there a plan at one time to have an amphitheater at Redstone Gateway? Now THAT would affect one at MidCity.

I don't believe that to be the case. Redstone Gateway is primarily office space with retail, dining and hotels added to the mix...no entertainment (it's basically focused on serving the work force at Redstone & Research Park). The generic overview rendering doesn't hint towards anything like that either...and so far the already existing building layout matches up to what it shows. They're actually clearing out for the "on-post" phase of Redstone Gateway (the smaller part on the east side of Rideout Rd).

Old 01-02-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
I don't believe that to be the case. Redstone Gateway is primarily office space with retail, dining and hotels added to the mix...no entertainment (it's basically focused on serving the work force at Redstone & Research Park). The generic overview rendering doesn't hint towards anything like that either...and so far the already existing building layout matches up to what it shows. They're actually clearing out for the "on-post" phase of Redstone Gateway (the smaller part on the east side of Rideout Rd).

I could be wrong, but I thought at one time they'd mentioned moving the current concert site to Gateway. Even if that's the case, I doubt it would have been anything as elaborate as the one at MidCity though.

BTW ... my golf group had our Christmas dinner at Rocket City Tavern. It's a really nice place and the food is quite good. That was my first time to set foot in the Gateway. It's bigger than it looks from the roadway, sitting out in the flat field.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times
Landry's longtime seafood restaurant on I-565 has closed. A Holiday Inn Express is planned for the site.
Construction will begin soon.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Landry's longtime seafood restaurant on I-565 has closed. A Holiday Inn Express is planned for the site.
Construction will begin soon.
Do you know if they'll relocate? I remember there was some speculation a month or so ago when it was mentioned on here that they were closing.

I'm not sure when it opened, but I believe it was long before 565 was built.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 PM

766 posts, read 1,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Do you know if they'll relocate? I remember there was some speculation a month or so ago when it was mentioned on here that they were closing.

I'm not sure when it opened, but I believe it was long before 565 was built.

According to the Madison County Tax Assessors website, Landry's building was constructed in 1996. I-565 opened in 1991-92. The Huntsville of that era had few fine dining options. In fact, The Heritage Club opened in Downtown on Washington St. to address the void. Now, The Chophouse, Grille 29, Connor's and Texas De Brazil must have been too much competition for Landry's.

Prior to the construction of 565, the area where Landry's sits was along Governors Drive and there was a Shoney's on the SE corner of the intersection with Bob Wallace. There were other businesses, too which were all acquired to make way for 565 to be built. Speaking of Shoney's, there were two other locations - on the SW corner of the University Drive and N. Parkway intersection; and on S. Parkway just south of the Wal Mart (near Drake) where Shoney's Drive is (A permanent reminder that a Shoney's was there).

FYI: The reason for the street name Governors West is that the section of present day Madison Bld. just west of Research Park Blvd. was called Governors Drive as it was all one road and the construction of 565 caused a disconnected section of the road, so the State decided to name the west section, Governors West to accommodate the businesses which had always had a Governors address. They curved the road around to end at Old Madison Pike and the developers of Bridge Street continued it to the Westin Huntsville.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times
Tire Discounters is building a store on Cabelas dr/Governors West
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area