Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 07:12 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,666,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yeah, you're right ... it looks way better. 40% better in fact.

I'll have to go check that page again.

Edit: You're right ... it's 7. Looks like they probably keep their website up to date, so maybe it's real.
The design of the hotel if as shown is very similar to Memphis, Chattanooga and Mobile.
Once again don't be surprised if it is not 7 floors, maybe a tall 5 stories
If it is similar to the web site image, then a golden opportunity to make a statement signature building slips by once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 06:37 AM

13,387 posts, read 9,905,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
The design of the hotel if as shown is very similar to Memphis, Chattanooga and Mobile.
Once again don't be surprised if it is not 7 floors, maybe a tall 5 stories
If it is similar to the web site image, then a golden opportunity to make a statement signature building slips by once again.
There's still the old Coca Cola lot for a signature building. Plus, at one time there was a concept drawing of a 13 story hotel next to the exisiting Marriott AC (Residence Inn, I think). That doesn't meet the definition of high-rise, but it's better than anything we have at the time. I also expect it to be downsized when actually built though.

Also have the new Federal Courthouse and Redstone Federal CC buildings as possibilities. We're running out of chances though.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,666,252 times
Quote:
There's still the old Coca Cola lot for a signature building. Plus, at one time there was a concept drawing of a 13 story hotel next to the exisiting Marriott AC (Residence Inn, I think). That doesn't meet the definition of high-rise, but it's better than anything we have at the time. I also expect it to be downsized when actually built though.

Also have the new Federal Courthouse and Redstone Federal CC buildings as possibilities. We're running out of chances though.

Hate to be the bearer of lowered expectations, but the hotel next to the AC will probably be a Fairfield and won't be 13 floors, maybe half that, but things change quickly in the hotel world.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:38 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,072,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Hilton Curio properties are typically excellent and one of a kind. It is about time Huntsville got some higher end hotel properties.
Yeah, I love staying at a Curio hotel.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 AM

198 posts, read 252,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Hate to be the bearer of lowered expectations, but the hotel next to the AC will probably be a Fairfield and won't be 13 floors, maybe half that, but things change quickly in the hotel world.
We need facts and renderings here not probability lol Let’s just see...

Old 10-03-2018, 12:54 PM

127 posts, read 112,204 times
I don't understand the fascination and desire for tall buildings just for the sake of tall buildings. Ultimately the folks building these are making business decisions. If a 5 story hotel gets them the number of hotel rooms they think they need in order to make money then that is what they'll build. Same goes for anything else built downtown. That plus the abundance of land downtown and elsewhere means there is no hurry to build upwards at this time.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:42 PM

198 posts, read 252,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinb View Post
I don't understand the fascination and desire for tall buildings just for the sake of tall buildings. Ultimately the folks building these are making business decisions. If a 5 story hotel gets them the number of hotel rooms they think they need in order to make money then that is what they'll build. Same goes for anything else built downtown. That plus the abundance of land downtown and elsewhere means there is no hurry to build upwards at this time.
Maybe if Hsv wasn’t surrounded by Memphis, Nashville, Bham and Atl we wouldn’t care as much lol For me it’s all about having something different and we have more than enough 4/5 story hotels. Personally I just like to see one skyscraper downtown if that’s all we can have.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:04 PM

31 posts, read 38,400 times
The biggest issue for Huntsville to have a signature tall building would be that building would suck up all the surrounding business into that building. Then we would be stuck with vacant office space. Something similar happened to Mobile.

Our best bet is either a tall hotel or a short office space with a hotel above it. Or a signature business like an Adtran or something to build... but you would never attract a large company away from research park and into the downtown.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:05 PM

13,387 posts, read 9,905,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinb View Post
It's for appearances sake. Many towns a quarter the size of Huntsville have better skyines. There's not a single high-rise building in Madison County, unless you want to count the dynamic test tower on the Arsenal. For that matter, there's only one skyscraper in the entire state, and it's in Mobile.

Regarding your other point, there's not a lot of vacant land left downtown.

It's not terribly relevant, since we seem to like sprawl here, but some years ago Tallahassee determined that to counteract suburban sprawl, they would build up instead of out. And it seems to have worked. Totally different town of course, with slower growth, but it can be done if the desire is there, and I don't really think it is by out city fathers.

I think the reason Huntsville hasn't grown taller is because the vast majority of companies and employment locations are on Redstone Arsenal or Research Park. You can actually see this during rush hours ... in the morning, the heaviest traffic is going away from downtown instead of toward, and the opposite in the afternoons.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:09 PM

31 posts, read 38,400 times
Quote:
I think the reason Huntsville hasn't grown taller is because the vast majority of companies and employment locations are on Redstone Arsenal or Research Park. You can actually see this during rush hours ... in the morning, the heaviest traffic is going away from downtown instead of toward, and the opposite in the afternoons.
This is why we will never have a "high rise" unless its a hotel or convention center of some sorts.

A single high rise would swallow all the lawyers and architects that are located downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area