Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 06:37 PM

13,339 posts, read 9,884,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
Breland says he's got more than just the stadium, hotels and apartments on board...just has yet to make any official announcements. Not sure if that's true or if he's just saying that to build more interest in the development. I will say that I would expect that any restaurant, bar and other social oriented establishments would be jumping at the chance to be located near a new MiLB stadium.
If he can land a major retail establishment, that we don't already have (like Nordstrom), he will have over-achieved. I think it's going to be a really nice development. It's awfully close to Bridge Street though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 09:32 PM

152 posts, read 242,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Town Madison has already announced apartments (which are under construction now), the Homewood Suites (which is pretty far along and is visible from Wall Triana) as well as the announced Margaritaville Hotel. However, Town Madison has been a project for a lot longer time than any of the RCP Company projects - Mid City Huntsville, City Centre, or the two shopping centers along Bob Wallace Ave. at the Parkway. However, in comparison to Constellation, TM is a lot farther along and I don't anticipate seeing the baseball stadium as the only thing standing in the vast emptiness.

The entirety of TM on the Zierdt side has been empty space since they bulldozed the trees back in 2013, until they started working on the stadium a few months ago. Combine that with the comically poor planning of the Zierdt widening, and let’s just say that until I see cement being poured for any hotels, restaurants, or other amenities, I’ll just assume it’s not going to happen.

“Announcements” and “plans” mean exactly diddly squat after all the nonsense in this area.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogan View Post
The entirety of TM on the Zierdt side has been empty space since they bulldozed the trees back in 2013, until they started working on the stadium a few months ago. Combine that with the comically poor planning of the Zierdt widening, and let’s just say that until I see cement being poured for any hotels, restaurants, or other amenities, I’ll just assume it’s not going to happen.

“Announcements” and “plans” mean exactly diddly squat after all the nonsense in this area.
Drive into that area using the "new road", preferably after the workers have gone home, and you'll see a lot more activity that is visible from Zierdt. Plumbing seems to be going into what I assume will be the apartment complex, and it will be sizable. Realistically, the Margaritaville Hotel can't be started until the stadium effectively gets out of the way ... they're almost co-located. Will the hotel ever come to fruition? Hard to tell, but maybe. At any rate, there's a lot of equipment doing a lot of work out there, and I don't think it's just for optics. There's no big retail that I know of.

And yes, the Zierdt Rd project has been a comedy of errors and lack of action. It's been going for 10 years or so now, and in Birmingham they've rebuilt a 20/59/65 interchange that a city of 10,000,000 would be proud of, and done it in about a year. The I-22 interhange a bit up the road took a bit longer but was being built from scratch. Now I hear that the interchange south at Oxmoor will be rebuilt. All of that will be finished before a relatively simple two lane road can be expanded to 4 lanes over a 4 mile distance.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:22 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,663,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Drive into that area using the "new road", preferably after the workers have gone home, and you'll see a lot more activity that is visible from Zierdt. Plumbing seems to be going into what I assume will be the apartment complex, and it will be sizable. Realistically, the Margaritaville Hotel can't be started until the stadium effectively gets out of the way ... they're almost co-located. Will the hotel ever come to fruition? Hard to tell, but maybe. At any rate, there's a lot of equipment doing a lot of work out there, and I don't think it's just for optics. There's no big retail that I know of.

And yes, the Zierdt Rd project has been a comedy of errors and lack of action. It's been going for 10 years or so now, and in Birmingham they've rebuilt a 20/59/65 interchange that a city of 10,000,000 would be proud of, and done it in about a year. The I-22 interhange a bit up the road took a bit longer but was being built from scratch. Now I hear that the interchange south at Oxmoor will be rebuilt. All of that will be finished before a relatively simple two lane road can be expanded to 4 lanes over a 4 mile distance.
or I-565 expanded, US 72 lanes added, Moores Mill Shields road overpasses, Mastin Lake overpass all projects except 565, Huntsville is having to pay 50% to even get done at all.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
or I-565 expanded, US 72 lanes added, Moores Mill Shields road overpasses, Mastin Lake overpass all projects except 565, Huntsville is having to pay 50% to even get done at all.
Do you have access to the AlDot budget and expendures for, say, the last 10-15 years? I'm guessing we're still at the 20% return on taxes, or maybe even worse now. I'd like to see how much has been spent in each county during that time.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:59 PM

100 posts, read 113,632 times
Aldot does publish road project lettings within the first two weeks or so of the month and the letting is always toward the end of the month. You can see what projects are coming up for each county across the state and the estimated cost. After the letting, the top three bids are posted, so this will give you a partial idea about the money spent. To my knowledge, there is no database that will go back 15 years.
I imagine with the projects coming up over the next several years as seen in a previous post, there may be well over $2 billion in road work. Here is the link to the lettings.

https://alletting.dot.state.al.us

Old 08-31-2018, 05:58 AM

10 posts, read 9,830 times
I've been a long time lurker here and appreciate the knowledge sharing you guys provide here. I've lived in the Huntsville/Madison area since 1996.

My wife and I were interesting in exploring potential opportunity at the Town Madison development. Perhaps opening a food type establishment. Out of curiosity, she called 2 companies (i'll get the names of who) for leasing information and they both told her they were no longer on the project. O_o I hope this project, in its entirety, hasn't already fallen off the rails.

Last edited by NoobBot; 08-31-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 10:25 AM

766 posts, read 1,125,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobBot View Post
I've been a long time lurker here and appreciate the knowledge sharing you guys provide here. I've lived in the Huntsville/Madison area since 1996.

My wife and I were interesting in exploring potential opportunity at the Town Madison development. Perhaps opening a food type establishment. Out of curiosity, she called 2 companies (i'll get the names of who) for leasing information and they both told her they were no longer on the project. O_o I hope this project, in its entirety, hasn't already fallen off the rails.
Town Madison is definitely still alive - the stadium and the apartments are under construction as well as the interchange on I-565. you don't spend money and have worker son site for a dead project.

The best way is to contact the owner himself, Louis Beland. If you go the Town Madison website and select Leasing - look at the bottom right and his company's contact info is there.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:16 PM

3,472 posts, read 4,892,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobBot View Post

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I would recommend thinking long and hard if you are thinking about opening a restaurant. In a development like that, your monthly lease is probably going to be up around $10,000 per month. Then you will have all of your overhead such as utilities, employee expenses and of course your food and supply costs. You will need to serve a lot and I mean a lot of customers to overcome the overhead. You will probably work 14 to 16 hour days for years. The restaurant business is one of the absolute worst businesses to own. Now if you are talking about selling food products like maybe an organic specialty retail store, that is an entirely different business. I have no idea what the markup is on those products but still you would need to move a lot of product to turn a profit in a high rent development.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,663,740 times
Pies & Pints is the latest restaurant coming to MidCity Huntsville.
The Ohio-based special pizza and craft beer restaurant, which has Birmingham and Montgomery locations, will open next summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area