Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 06:39 PM

84 posts, read 59,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
That’s great to hear! I’ve been wondering when this project will start. That will be good for that area and also be good for the medical students to have some dedicated housing.

Where will the housing and these buildings go? I’m confused by the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 07:25 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War-Lord View Post
Where will the housing and these buildings go? I’m confused by the location.
They are going to build two buildings in a T shape between the Byrd Center and the Forensics Center from what I've heard. One will be for classes and one will be for housing. I'm guessing it will take some of the current parking that's offered there.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
This could be a great opportunity to build a mix-use development, one that brings the much talked about grocery store to the area. The first floor could be reserved for parking, with the grocery store built on the second floor, and the housing and/or classrooms up above.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
This could be a great opportunity to build a mix-use development, one that brings the much talked about grocery store to the area. The first floor could be reserved for parking, with the grocery store built on the second floor, and the housing and/or classrooms up above.
If they had built these new buildings on the site of the current baseball fields in that area, I would 100% agree with this. They could then use the money from the sell of the existing fields to buy property from 13th street toward Hal Greer and between Charleston Ave and 10th Ave. They could build new baseball fields on the western end of the AD Lewis Field while building 2 soccer fields on the southern side of the field. Then with some improvements to the AD Lewis field, they would have a nice sports complex there. This would go well with all of the other improvements planned in the area and I would love to see this.

With the buildings being self-contained between existing Marshall Buildings though, I think that the potential for retail development would be limited. Plus, I would imagine that Marshall will have plans with most of the space in these buildings. Now if they would partner with a private company to build some townhouses on the current ball fields and plan some retail as part of that, I think that they would have a successful develop there. This would then also revitalize that entire area and help with a lot of the crime issues as well.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Marshall University has received $1 million to launch a consumer assistance program for West Virginians. The initiative is a joint project with the West Virginia University (WVU) College of Law, which received $1 million to implement a similar program.

In announcing the donation, Marshall President Jerome A. Gilbert said, “We are pleased we will have the opportunity to work in synergy with West Virginia University to develop and deliver consumer-related information and programming for West Virginians. Our universities will support each other in this new joint project to help our citizens know their rights as consumers.”
https://www.marshall.edu/ucomm/2018/...ll-university/

Old 04-27-2018, 10:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
Next week...

https://twitter.com/MarshallPharmD/s...72948671639552

Old 04-27-2018, 04:51 PM

That looks nice and appears to blend in well with the current Byrd center and Forensics Center architecture. I wonder which way the building will be oriented though? The initially talked about building 2 buildings in a "T" shape. I wonder if that is still part of the plan?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:05 AM

It looks like my question was answered. Marshall will build a new Pharmacy School building on the empty lot right across from Northcott. Since space is limited, they will use Northcott as a staging area over the next 18 months. There is a clause for an early exit from the space if development plans move ahead in a shorter time span than expected. Here are some more specifics:

Quote:
The new pharmacy school is to be built on the west side of Hal Greer Boulevard opposite Northcott Court; however, since space is limited, Ellis said the Northcott property will be used to store equipment and materials.
Quote:
A student housing facility for pharmacy students is also in the works, but that will be located on 14th Street between the Byrd Clinical Center and Marshall's Forensic Science Center.
Quote:
"The city's concept plans for the area have not changed," said Ginny Painter, vice president of marketing at Marshall. "The city is working with grant money and plans to continue toward that plan of bringing in retail/commercial space, a grocery store, townhouses. All of that is still on the table."

Painter and Ellis said they both believe that the development of the new pharmacy school across the street will actually serve as a major enticement for developers.
Northcott Court to be staging area for MU pharmacy building | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 AM

MU unveils plans for new pharmacy school/housing complex | Marshall University | herald-dispatch.com

Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
The outside design looks good. I'm eager to see the renderings of the interior. I do hope this project helps spur the development of the Northcott property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington