Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Click further

Houston Crime Map - Clear Lake Patrol Division - 12D10 Beat

Inside the beltway is not Clear Lake. This is the (somewhat rough to very rough) SE side.

Clear Lake is between Ellington and NASA, and a different beat number not on the top 10, though it does kiss that barrio to the north.

HPD should rename this beat to Southbelt, South Point or Fuqua-Almeda-Edgebrook to stop the confusion.
Yeah I met a guy at a restaurant on 45 a few weeks ago who had moved away from Fuqua and a cross street that runs by Almeda Mall. Said he was born in that house, had lived there 40 years since birth and had moved because the crime right there has gotten so bad in such a short amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:46 PM

860 posts, read 1,591,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
What zip is this?
Zip code = 77023.

It includes Eastwood and Idylwood, among other up-and-coming older neighborhoods.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:55 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Yeah I met a guy at a restaurant on 45 a few weeks ago who had moved away from Fuqua and a cross street that runs by Almeda Mall. Said he was born in that house, had lived there 40 years since birth and had moved because the crime right there has gotten so bad in such a short amount of time.

Back behind Almeda Mall and parts of that whole area resembles Fondren Southwest nowadays. Boarded up apartments, businesses, dead shopping area that seemed to be bustling only a few years ago. Call it a **** match, region war or whatever... that area is like night & day compared to Clear Lake crossing over 6-7 miles.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 PM

I know - absolutely amazing at how rapidly that area declined. Once it got on the downward track -- it just spiraled.....

Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 19,029 times
So is mold a serious problem in Houston? With all the humidity, and floods now I wonder about it.

I'm really grateful for all of your help so that my next trip there should be more fruitful as I have seemed to went to the wrong parts this time around.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:30 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,064,237 times
Houston doesn't sound like a good fit. You really can't live in a nice neighborhood inside the loop without coming close to the cost-of-living you have now. That pushes you out to Katy/Woodlands/Sugar Land/Clear Lake/Pearland - all of which are beautiful newish suburban areas - generally with long commutes if you don't work in them. You might like an urban area inside an older, smaller city between the East and West coasts. There are a few whose job markets have held up surprisingly well.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM

Mold happens when you have a water damage (leak, flood, ongoing leak that isn't repaired) that is ignored and allowed to flourish. If you get water in your home - you make sure you get a company that knows how to dry out the walls and treat the wood. If your a/c leaks into the walks, or sink/bathroom leaks - you fix it. If ignored - yes it will mold. Now what people often don't realize is that even if water goes into your home and just gets as high as the baseboards and goes right out - the sheetrock and wood absorbs some of it for anywhere from 1 foot high or more. Many just rip out the carpet - replace and it are done. If you don't have a professional come in with de-humidifiers and some fans - it could mold. Your house won't mold just by being in Houston - there has to be a constant source of wet or a flood.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Never addressed the Park and Ride question. There are Park and Ride satelites in the suburbs - you drive from your home to the satelite and board one of the buses for downtown. Convenient.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,697,215 times
I had to LOL when you mentioned the industrial areas...what were you expecting??? With that said I agree with the others who explained that Houston DOES have some very nice areas but unlike some other cities you really need to know where to find them. I've lived in NYC too and I don't think you can compare the two cities about the only thing they have in common is that they both make no apologies for being what they are. Much of Houston lacks zoning which can either makes things seem interesting or seem like a giant mess with no rhyme or reason...its all a matter of perspective.
As open minded as you seem I am not sure you would ever like Houston or maybe even the state of TX. Things are VERY different here. Maybe DFW would be a better fit? It probably depends on the industry but jobs are NOT that easy to find here. I live in a white collar community and we have quite a few folks here who were laid off and have been unemployed for months. I also encountered (and this is just MY experience) employers who seemed quite biased toward hiring fellow Texans rather than people from out of state. The job market isn't as strong IMHO as people from out of state seem to think it is. There will generally be alot of competition out there from people who are also seeking employment.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,983,816 times
Take it from me...About 15 years ago my dad was offered a transfer for his job with really good pay in Houston. This was while we were living on Long Island. A lot of people at his company took up the offer and really didn't like it there. Most ended up moving back. They had to send their kids to private schools due to the lack of strong public schools. He decided to stay here and I'm so glad he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston