Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,551,068 times

Advertisements

Some of what that map shows as "Westside" I consider SW. Like they are including Fondren SW in the "westside" Top 10. When you look at the map, it's not what most call westside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 AM

1,474 posts, read 5,007,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Some of what that map shows as "Westside" I consider SW. Like they are including Fondren SW in the "westside" Top 10. When you look at the map, it's not what most call westside.
did you see the post about keeping an open mind?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
did you see the post about keeping an open mind?

I thought you were talking to yourself. My bad.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:29 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNewYork View Post
Kept driving for a while longer until I seen schools and then shadowbriar mansions where we parked and it seemed like a really nice private neighborhood behind them... lot of dead ends. We walk into the place and ask to see the apartments. They look nice inside but the first things I notice is that people have placed cameras at their own expense to see who is outside of their doors. This is inside of the hallways where no one but residents should have access to. I looked at the reviews online and it said that there are nothing but roaches, robberies and weed smoking pit bull owners around. Again I was confused.

Yes, I am picky but am not looking for a replacement to New York. I do feel that my family should be safe, and live in a nice environment. The point of moving out of a dense populated city is to live in a safe and quiet neighborhood right? Otherwise what is the point. I also don't understand why everyone avoids my questions on crime in Houston. It is close to New Orleans so I can see how after Katrina a lot of the hood rats had families and friends who they ran to but has it really made that much of a difference?
Mansions of Shadowbriar - those are gross. Someone above posted that, due to the availability of reasonable rental houses in neighborhoods that are primarily made up of owners, only less desirable renters and out-of-towners are in apartments, in less expensive apartment communities. That's very true. Rent a house.

Alief (SW) took in a lot of Katrina people, and have been the worst hit as far as crime and declining property values. Stay above Westheimer - or go way below to Sugar Land.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,600,444 times
Quote:
Yeah, but most people call anywhere in Houston crime occurs West of 45 as the Southwest side. Meyerland, for example is excluded when crime occurs. And if a crime occurs in Westbury or TMC, it is reported as "happening in the Meyerland area".

One thing one must understand is that SW side is Houston's most derogatory term for a neighborhood. A great example of this is Westchase. When crime happens in this neighborhood, it is considered the SW side. When something good happens, it's the West side.

The main issue is the fact that geographically, the west side should be considered anything between 59/westpark tollway and Clay rd. In order for this to happen, many desirable neighborhoods on the west side would have to absorb parts of undesirable neighborhoods. North of the bayou does not want to affiliate itself with Alief or Westchase in any way shape or form regardless of the fact that parts of these neighborhoods are clearly on the West side of Houston geographically. And of course, north of I-10 is its own world. Spring Branch is Spring Branch, not the west side. One has to wonder if that section of Houston belonged to HISD if they would even bother calling the area Spring Branch, or would it be called "The west side".

Old 12-17-2009, 09:34 AM

344 posts, read 1,189,687 times
Quote:
Yeah, don't rely on the division names to give you a good sense of place - use the map as your guide and look by districts or beats.

The division names have lost a lot of sense of place because new divisions have been added over the years and they generally don't go back and change the names of the existing divisions. They make up new names that try to describe the area at the time of its creation. Southwest (which was once called "Beechnut" once covered all of the area that are now covered by Southwest, Fondren, Westside, and Midwest divisions.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yeah, but most people call anywhere in Houston crime occurs West of 45 as the Southwest side. Meyerland, for example is excluded when crime occurs. And if a crime occurs in Westbury or TMC, it is reported as "happening in the Meyerland area".

One thing one must understand is that SW side is Houston's most derogatory term for a neighborhood. A great example of this is Westchase. When crime happens in this neighborhood, it is considered the SW side. When something good happens, it's the West side.

The main issue is the fact that geographically, the west side should be considered anything between 59/westpark tollway and Clay rd. In order for this to happen, many desirable neighborhoods on the west side would have to absorb parts of undesirable neighborhoods. North of the bayou does not want to affiliate itself with Alief or Westchase in any way shape or form regardless of the fact that parts of these neighborhoods are clearly on the West side of Houston geographically. And of course, north of I-10 is its own world. Spring Branch is Spring Branch, not the west side. One has to wonder if that section of Houston belonged to HISD if they would even bother calling the area Spring Branch, or would it be called "The west side".

Eh, I consider Westchase and parts ofAlief Westside. But anything south of the Westpark and the 59 area is clearly Southwest. I mean, it's even the direction the 59 Freeway is going. Richmond seems to be the Geographical division for most between west and southwest.

As to just North of I-10, it is in it's own world, but I crack up when the TV calls it NW Houston. <blinkblink>

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-17-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 AM

443 posts, read 1,348,698 times
Different strokes for different folks. There are 6 million people here already so obviously many have found it likeable and liveable. If you don't like it, move on, we've got plenty here. There are lots of great choices in our fine country.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,950 times
I am moving to Houston, tx with my 2 year old . I will be working in Medical Center . We have about 270 K , budget to afford a single family house . We do not mind driving 20-30minutes , any idea where I should look for .
I need information on schools and safty of the area.
Thanks indavace for your help.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,069,842 times
Merry given where you're working I recommend checking out 77035 and 77096. See the recent thread about Westbury... Modster gives great advice about the particular areas that are good, and the ones to avoid. This is a wonderful, convenient, safe neighborhood with some good schools. Ignore people who tell you all of SW Houston is a crime scene and Westbury is ghetto. This is painting with way too broad a brushstroke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston