Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:40 PM

87 posts, read 261,463 times

Advertisements

I don't really understand your fascination with downtown Houston unless it is just a nostalgic longing for days gone by.

I worked in downtown Houston for nearly 20 years and currently work in downtown Dallas. I'd much rather go to my neighborhood mall than venture downtown for shopping/dining/entertainment. Downtown areas are just not that user friendly. Years ago I'm guessing that "downtown" was the only option. I think a lot of cities have changed in that respect and I really don't see things going back to the way you remember them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinDi59 View Post
I don't really understand your fascination with downtown Houston unless it is just a nostalgic longing for days gone by.

I worked in downtown Houston for nearly 20 years and currently work in downtown Dallas. I'd much rather go to my neighborhood mall than venture downtown for shopping/dining/entertainment. Downtown areas are just not that user friendly. Years ago I'm guessing that "downtown" was the only option. I think a lot of cities have changed in that respect and I really don't see things going back to the way you remember them.
You are probably right, and I am being nostalgic. But I can't help but remember How Down Town was, compared to what it is now. --I guess I'm the kind of guy that figures, if there is a will, there sometimes is a way. As I age, I appreciate more and more, the good things that have come to pass, and try to focus on what forces played a part to make those positive things happen. Sometimes all it took, was a vision.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:41 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I do understand it is hard to comprehend how things will be in the future when we have limited time spent in the past. As we get older, we have the references of the past to draw from. Kind of like having our own personal mental library. It takes awhile to collect all, or most of our books. We all have differing needs, and interest, so we collect different books. In my posts, I simply state some of my thoughts, memories and ideas. I'm not trying to force feed them on anyone. So please feel free agree or disagree, but just do what you feel is right. Variety is the spice of life. If everybody thought the same on issues, there would only be a need for one of us. Be well, and I'll save ya a parking space.
I guess like the other poster said, you're nostalgic for the old days--I'm sure they were good ones; however, another good question to ask is how can one comprehend the future when they have limited experience (and perhaps in your case, acceptance of) the present? A nickelodeon is a great concept, and I love the stories my grandma would tell me, but just as your parking space idea is impractical, so is 5 cent movie in this day and age. I tend to believe that I'm an intuitive person, but at some points I know logic is the only answer. So those are really the only grounds we disagree on.

In any case, there is no need to save me a parking space. I always used my close-in proximity to Downtown Houston in Montrose as an advantage. You could always catch me strolling down Allen Parkway, catching the rail or bus (and avoiding the grief and citation)...besides I'm in Boston now.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Good to hear from you again.--the future is built on the Pillars of the past. Things go in about 20 years cycles. I have been most fortunate to have lived through three of those cycles already. Please don't get me wrong. I'm smart enough to know that I don't know everything. But there is nothin new under the sun. We shape the future, with the actions we take today. The mere fact that we can imagine something, usually means it can be made to happen. People are smart like that. ---I was a much different Person in my earlier years, and was hard to keep in the stable. I have mellowed with age. and find I can learn much from others, if I can keep and open mind, and not take things personal, that I may not agree with. I have changed my view on many things through the years. I have found that is best to not try to rush the River. My best to you good Sir.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinDi59 View Post
I'd much rather go to my neighborhood mall than venture downtown for shopping/dining/entertainment.
I suppose that works just fine if you can't get enough Chili's, PF Chang's and BW3. When I go into those places I can't even tell what state I'm in let alone what neighborhood.

It'll take awhile, but when we get our asses in gear in terms of transit, downtown will be very user-friendly. I know out of downtown and TownCenterStripMallParkinglotEtc. which one I'd prefer to walk around in.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 PM

Down Town, is the heart of a City, and it's main street, is the aorta. Everything else takes it's lead from there. ---Ours could use a good hug.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Good to hear from you again.--the future is built on the Pillars of the past. Things go in about 20 years cycles. I have been most fortunate to have lived through three of those cycles already. Please don't get me wrong. I'm smart enough to know that I don't know everything. But there is nothin new under the sun. We shape the future, with the actions we take today. The mere fact that we can imagine something, usually means it can be made to happen. People are smart like that. ---I was a much different Person in my earlier years, and was hard to keep in the stable. I have mellowed with age. and find I can learn much from others, if I can keep and open mind, and not take things personal, that I may not agree with. I have changed my view on many things through the years. I have found that is best to not try to rush the River. My best to you good Sir.
The future is built on the past AND present. So yes, you have two "cycles" on me, but in the future my one "cycle" is just as valid as your two. I consider myself quite stable, but I know enough to know that everybody needs somebody sometime. It's false that there is "nothin' new under sun" though. There's something new all the time and hopefully we learn everyday.

I know not to take anything personally (voice major speaking here), I'm try to understand things practically. Perhaps, you shouldn't rush the river with parking, as other options are being developed in the for the future in the present. Like I said before, use what you have in front of you. I've ridden to the Heights from downtown on the bus in 10 minutes quite easily.

It's very nice that you're optimistic though, I try to be optimistic also.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:26 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
The 50 goes straight from the Heights to DT and onward to the East End.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM

I tried to find the bus to get me to White Oak and Oxford, from Main street, and the little booth by the County courthouse was closed. I had no clue. I did finally get one that took me down Studemont, and I walked from there. But I can only imagine how some one from out of town would figure it out. give me a city map, and about an Hour, and I could lay one out that would make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston