Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,151,751 times

Advertisements

Here's a links:

[See the page 4]

http://www.colliers.com/Content/Repositories/Base/Markets/LawServices/English/Market_Report/PDFs/colliersparkingratesurvey2009.pdf (broken link)

With an average hourly rate of $4.50 and an average daily rate of $12.00, Houston is below the national average in both categories.

I'll get on fees for you too though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 04:05 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,468,507 times
My point was the mental anguish, of trying to shop, pick up tags,or take in a Movie, and all the time wondering if you have been issued a citation, or been towed. Who needs the added grief? There are other ways to raise money for the City, with out putting additional stress on the very Citizens the city is there to serve. Sometimes we forget, who works for who, don't we?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,167,862 times
Part of why most middle-income families fled cities for new suburbs 30-40 yrs ago was spacious, free parking at homes, offices, shopping, dining, etc

Cities like NYC and SF became bastions for the urban rich (and affluent wkend tourists from suburbs or out of town) who could afford to pay for costly garages at all these places to visit city for shops or dining

But would observe that, with on-line shopping and Kindle, one's need to visit a physical shop or bookstore has dramatically decreased, even in the suburbs

One's wasted time in traffic, fuel and wear&tear costs on car, risk of accidents/door dings/vandalism, etc are so much lower when one minimizes visits to even upscale suburban shopping areas with ample free parking, let alone far more risky (and costly) urban settings

Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,461,394 times
Do you by any chance remember back when the "Loews", "Metropolitan" and "Majestic" theaters were Down town? Saturdays down Town, were an event. People came from everywhere to shop, eat, and go to the Show.....Lunch at LC Cafeteria, and a slice of Pizza for 19 cents at Woolworths was a treat for us Kids.

YESYESYES!!!!! Thanks so much for the memories......

Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,584,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
One's wasted time in traffic, fuel and wear&tear costs on car, risk of accidents/door dings/vandalism, etc are so much lower when one minimizes visits to even upscale suburban shopping areas with ample free parking, let alone far more risky (and costly) urban settings
So the solution to all our problems is basically to never leave home. Interesting.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM

I like the smell of real stores, and the interaction with the folks I run into there. I also shop for things like CDs and the like online, but I love to actually be able to pick up and item, and examine it. Call me old fashioned. Plus I like to support local businesses. so many are gone now, that I miss from earlier days. Oshmans, on Main, was the best, if not the only sporting goods store in town. Mosks, Foleys at Christmas. Neiman Marcus. Sakowitz. Down town use to sparkle. Folks got dressed up to go there to shop. Every thing was clean and polished. Now it looks like a cheap copy of the Richmond strip, only less conveniant.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
My point was the mental anguish, of trying to shop, pick up tags,or take in a Movie, and all the time wondering if you have been issued a citation, or been towed. Who needs the added grief? There are other ways to raise money for the City, with out putting additional stress on the very Citizens the city is there to serve. Sometimes we forget, who works for who, don't we?
IMO, it sounds like you haven't realized stress is a part of life at 62. I would love to turn in my term papers at any point I like, but that's just not how it works. I have deadlines and my teachers need grades by a deadline. As much as I hate stress, the stress of not handing my paper in time is what motivates me to be more studious. In short, nobody needs the added grief, but I don't believe anarchy is the answer. There need to be some rules and regulations. The point is that money needs to be made for the city and it IS going to be made somehow. You have the option of more mandatory taxes, or parking/parking tickets which can be avoided--your choice.

Yes, but I doubt anyone would work for free. That's my point and I'm sticking to it.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM

Some folks need leaders. And if none are around, will actually go in search of one. which is fine by me. to each their own. To park free on Our streets, and anarchy is a stretch in my book. but that's just me. To limit ones options to only two choices, only shows lack of imagination. There are many ways to raise money, with out taxes, or parking meters, and all that goes along with them. We are not aphids.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Some folks need leaders. And if none are around, will actually go in search of one. which is fine by me. to each their own. To park free on Our streets, and anarchy is a stretch in my book. but that's just me. To limit ones options to only two choices, only shows lack of imagination. There are many ways to raise money, with out taxes, or parking meters, and all that goes along with them. We are not aphids.
To park free on our streets is not anarchy--I was just expanding on my previous idea. Where does it end though? To limit ones options to 2 choices is called order. You keep saying there are so many ways to raise money for the city (I'm sure Houston would like to hear about them), but you don't realize that the cost will be passed on to you as a resident of this city...

Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
To park free on our streets is not anarchy--I was just expanding on my previous idea. Where does it end though? To limit ones options to 2 choices is called order. You keep saying there are so many ways to raise money for the city (I'm sure Houston would like to hear about them), but you don't realize that the cost will be passed on to you as a resident of this city...
I do understand it is hard to comprehend how things will be in the future when we have limited time spent in the past. As we get older, we have the references of the past to draw from. Kind of like having our own personal mental library. It takes awhile to collect all, or most of our books. We all have differing needs, and interest, so we collect different books. In my posts, I simply state some of my thoughts, memories and ideas. I'm not trying to force feed them on anyone. So please feel free agree or disagree, but just do what you feel is right. Variety is the spice of life. If everybody thought the same on issues, there would only be a need for one of us. Be well, and I'll save ya a parking space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston