Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 AM

30 posts, read 140,073 times

Advertisements

Yes, I've already searched the forum. I just have some specific questions...

I'm from Brooklyn, but I've been living in Atlanta for the last 5 years. I plan to relocate to Houston by the end of this year to go to school in Pasadena.

I've talked to about 10 people that have either visited or lived in the Houston area...2 out of those 10 people had negative things to say, and I wanted to know your thoughts...

1. They said that Pasadena is a cancer pit with all the industrial factories, plus it's not very diverse. So I'm considering living elsewhere within a 20 minute commuting distance to Pasadena...any ideas?
  2. The guy that was actually from Texas said he hated Houston because of the traffic, crime, and pollution. Which I thought was funny because Atlanta has all three. But he lives in Kennesaw so I guess his view is skewed.
  3. He suggested that I consider North Houston but he said that commuting from there to Pasadena would mean that I would have to cross a scary-sounding bridge...he said it was really high and they only let a certain number of cars on it at a time...is this true? What can I expect?
  4. I know Atlanta is beautiful but the economy here sucks and nearly everyone I know is struggling...what can I expect from Houston?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmwealth View Post

I'm from Brooklyn, but I've been living in Atlanta for the last 5 years. I plan to relocate to Houston by the end of this year to go to school in Pasadena.

I've talked to about 10 people that have either visited or lived in the Houston area...2 out of those 10 people had negative things to say, and I wanted to know your thoughts...

1. They said that Pasadena is a cancer pit with all the industrial factories, plus it's not very diverse. So I'm considering living elsewhere within a 20 minute commuting distance to Pasadena...any ideas?
  2. The guy that was actually from Texas said he hated Houston because of the traffic, crime, and pollution. Which I thought was funny because Atlanta has all three. But he lives in Kennesaw so I guess his view is skewed.
  3. He suggested that I consider North Houston but he said that commuting from there to Pasadena would mean that I would have to cross a scary-sounding bridge...he said it was really high and they only let a certain number of cars on it at a time...is this true? What can I expect?
  4. I know Atlanta is beautiful but the economy here sucks and nearly everyone I know is struggling...what can I expect from Houston?
Thanks in advance
With the refineries and plants being considerably close to the city; it does cause pollution and can contribute to cancer. However, It's not as bad as your friend makes it. It's more about where you decide to live that will affect how much your affected by the pollution. About the bridge; I'm assuming he's talking about 610 when it goes over the ports???? I never heard about only letting certain amount of cars on at a time.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,733,751 times
Don't know about anymore cancer rates in Pasadena vs anywhere else. As far as diversity, that depends on your definition. Pasadena is about one-half Hispanic.

As far as a scary sounding bridge, I don't know WTF that's all about. Someone is pulling your leg. You'd either be going over one of the 3 ship channel bridges to get there and they are all fine.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,058,439 times
You should consider Pasadena outside beltway 8 around Fairmont. Or the northern side of clear lake. Very nice, you'll like it.

Old Pasadena is nothing to brag about. That's near 225, Richey st and Red Bluff. STAY AWAY from that. Houses are cheap but for a reason. I hate to say it, but the city has neglected that whole area and just concentrated it's efforts to the Fairmont areas.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,232,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
You should consider Pasadena outside beltway 8 around Fairmont. Or the northern side of clear lake. Very nice, you'll like it.

Old Pasadena is nothing to brag about. That's near 225, Richey st and Red Bluff. STAY AWAY from that. Houses are cheap but for a reason. I hate to say it, but the city has neglected that whole area and just concentrated it's efforts to the Fairmont areas.
The city is currently encouraging redevelopment in that area. The new Harris County Courthouse at the corner of Richey and 225 will surely help.

Pasadena is actually about 73% hispanic. Diversity...not so much.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,603 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance
Hi:
I moved to the suburbs of Houston from Chicago 6.5 years ago. I'm 10 minutes from Pasadena in Pearland. I do love it here. But, I don't think any of us can pick the best place for you, without knowing a bit more about you and what you're looking for.

# 1 Do you want to buy a house or rent an apartment?
#2 Are you moving alone or with kids or a man or woman?
#3 Do you have a car?
#4 Can I ask how old you are? M or F?

Pasadena has some new shopping, lots of restaurants, and San Jac college. Is that where you plan to go?

Just a few things to help us more educated to help you. Good luck either way.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 PM

#1. I do plan to rent at first, but in time if I like it there I will eventually purchase something. I would like to keep my budget around the $700 per month range, give or take $50 or so.

#2. It's just me.

#3. Yes, I have a car, but it's a "hooptee". Trying to decide if I should get it fixed and drive it down there, or get rid of it and get something else when I get there. Trying to follow Dave Ramsey's advice about not paying "Stupid Tax" by purchasing a vehicle that will cost me more than it's worth. But that's another story.

#4. I'm a young (spirited) 38 yo female.

Last edited by affirmwealth; 10-02-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,603 times
Quote:
#1. I do plan to rent at first, but in time if I like it there I will eventually purchase something. I would like to keep my budget around the $700 per month range, give or take $50 or so.

#2. It's just me.

#3. Yes, I have a car, but it's a "hooptee". Trying to decide if I should get it fixed and drive it down there, or get rid of it and get something else when I get there.

#4. I'm a young (spirited) 38 yo female.
Ok that helps. Getting a car when you get here is a much better idea. Bringing a car with plates from another state is so darn expensive and a hassle. ( Texas does think they are their own country and things are very different here. hehehe)
700.00 can get you a nice apartment down here in several areas. Friendswood is very nice and close to the 45 and 8 which will get you to Pasadena.
Are you goiong to San Jac college? Also why there?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM

No, actually my plan is to transfer to TCC (I'm in Chiro school).

Plus I do have a few friends in Houston, and I'm really excited about making this change in my life.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,232,807 times
The Chiro school is on Spencer Highway just East of Bltwy 8. I would recommend that you find an apartment off of Fairmont Parkway between Beltway 8 and Red Bluff. You would have great access to stores and places to eat and be just 5 minutes from TCC using Space Center to cross between Fairmont and Spencer. You would also be only 15 minutes or so to Clear Lake/Seabrook/Kemah entertainment zone and the University of Houston Clear Lake Campus. The area I am recommending is a nice neighborhood w/ some nice apartments and is a good enough distance from the chemical plants that they are not a problem. You are a bit close to Ellington but I like to go sit outside at Starbucks and watch the Astronauts and other pilots do touch and go manuevers in their jets. Also a good place to watch the yearly air show for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston