Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,582 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from Atlanta (Smyrna/Vinings area) to Houston. We are expecting our 2nd child and have a 4 year old who currently attends a private Montessori school in Sandy Springs. We are considering the following areas of Houston:

Sugar Land (New Territory or Telfair to be more specific)
Pecan Grove
Katy (Specifically an area such as Cinco Ranch)
Richmond
The Woodlands
Houston (Bunker Hill Village/Memorial Area)
Vintage Park
Friendswood

Also, any information on the private schools, communities, amenities and typical home prices in the areas mentioned above would be helpful.

If anyone has made the move from Atlanta to Houston please let me know your thoughts on what we should expect.

Additional Information: My husbands and I both work in the consulting industry and he typically travels by plane during the week to his clients while I only work on local projects. I imagine my clients will likely be the larger companies in the city (Waste Management, BP, Exxon, etc.) I don't want a super long drive to work. Are there areas of Houston where the majority of large businesses are located?

Last edited by KW110; 03-16-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 01:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW110 View Post

Sugar Land (New Territory or Telfair to be more specific)
Pecan Grove
Katy (Specifically an area such as Cinco Ranch)
Richmond
The Woodlands
Houston (Bunker Hill Village/Memorial Area)
Vintage Park
Friendswood

? [/b]
One of these things is not like the others...

You have a list of standard,tract home satellite burbs and Memorial, which is one of the most expensive areas in the Houston Metro. Recommendations will come with budget, but Memorial-bunker hill will start over 800,000 for a home in need of major work. Think Buckhead.

Vining might be more like the Heights?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
One of these things is not like the others...

You have a list of standard,tract home satellite burbs and Memorial, which is one of the most expensive areas in the Houston Metro. Recommendations will come with budget, but Memorial-bunker hill will start over 800,000 for a home in need of major work. Think Buckhead.

Vining might be more like the Heights?
Oh, not at all. Vinings is one of Atlanta's "hipper" suburbs, with relative proximity to the core, but it's still the suburbs.

KW, is your ideal setting closer to the city core, or is that of little importance?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM

914 posts, read 1,834,531 times
I grew up in Atlanta, and my parents live in Sandy Springs. If you are looking for a private Montessori school, check out the Post Oak School. It is located in an area of Houston called Bellaire. Bellaire is roughly equivalent to Sandy Springs in Atlanta. It is a separate municipality within the Houston area like Sandy Springs is in Atlanta. It has its own police, trash pick up etc. Bellaire's next door neighborhood is West University Place. The public elementary schools in West U and Bellaire are excellent.

Memorial also is comprised of separately incorporated cities within the city. The public schools within the Spring Branch ISD are also excellent. The Memorial area is very popular and real estate prices are high.

The areas you are mentioning (other than Memorial) are located far outside the city center. If you are used to Vinings, then you are fairly close into town in north Atlanta, near the nice shopping areas, restaurants, etc. Check out Bellaire and West University. St. John's School in Houston is equivalent to Westminster. Kinkaid is equivalent to Lovett.

The businesses in Houston are spread out in many areas of town. The main centers are downtown, the Galleria area, Greenway Plaza, the Medical Center, and the Energy Corridor.

Home prices in close in areas will range from $500s on the very low end to $1 million plus. Prices in the far flung suburbs are more reasonable.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response!! You are spot on in terms of what I am looking for in a community as well as your insight on private schools.

I have done some research on St. Johns and I agree that Westimonster is comparble. I attended Woodward Academy throughout highshool and since you grew up in Atlanta I'm sure you know that there are a handful of popular/noteable private schools in this area. My assumption was that Houston is similar.

I have also looked into Post Oak and it seems like a superb Montessori school; however, because we are moving in September we have missed the admission deadline for the 2013-2014 school year. With that being said, are you familiar with Northwoods Montessori? I've learned that it is one of the oldest private montessori schools in the Houston area (I believe second to Post Oat) but not nearly as large. It is also near the Cypress area. I was also referred to Wilson Montessori a public school in the Heights.

I've heard that West U is a fine area of town similar to the Emory University area. Is that correct?

My husband and I do see a trend in terms of the home prices as you've mention regarding the suburbs vs. in town... similar to Atlanta.

Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Oh, not at all. Vinings is one of Atlanta's "hipper" suburbs, with relative proximity to the core, but it's still the suburbs.

KW, is your ideal setting closer to the city core, or is that of little importance?
Yes, I would like to be closer to the city, but we would also consider areas that have great public schools.

We lean toward private schools because the public school system is Georgia is one of the worst in the country, so we have a "private" school mindset.

I've heard that the public schools in Texas are top notch, so we don't want to be close-minded.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 AM

366 posts, read 797,593 times
If price isn't an issue, Bunker Hill Village/Memorial Area all the way.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM

914 posts, read 1,834,531 times
The area around Emory corresponds well to the area around Rice University in Houston. There is an area of shops and restaurants near Rice called the Rice Village that is somewhat similar to the North Highlands area. The residential areas closest to Rice are Southampton, South Gate, West University, Southside Place, and Bellaire. The public schools near Rice University are in general very good. There are lots of private schools located all over Houston.

There is a Montessori school very near Rice called Southampton Montessori. There is also another one on Bissonnet St between Greenbriar and Kirby (not sure of the name). I am not up on the Montessori schools in Houston as my daughter attended West University Elementary (a very good public school) and then attended River Oaks Baptist School for (a very good religious private school) for middle school. River Oaks equates to Buckhead in Atlanta.

Perhaps someone else can give you the scoop on the Montessori schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston