Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,340,015 times

Advertisements

Jim, it's fine to leave an email address but you should always scramble it in some way. For instance, see how I changed yours in the post above. If you don't scramble your email, you could start receiving spam, which you definitely do not want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 PM

791 posts, read 2,224,787 times
Quote:
we are coming from Colorado
Just remember Colorado's state motto:

"If god had meant Texans to ski, he'd have made B... S... white"

Welcome home.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,593,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Whatever to all this "avoid HISD at all costs" business. HISD has some excellent magnets and some of the best school districts mentioned here have some low-performing schools. Even so, there are a lot of intangibles to consider beyond the ratings and rankings. Children don't attend districts, they attend individual schools. Aim for the best wherever you are, be involved in her education, and your kid will be fine.
Exactly.

In the end, you have a public school system that revolves around standardized testing and enormous study for tests that go over what a kid should already know at that point. This is mandated at the state level. So choosing one school further away from another is ultimately little different than driving to a McDonald's across town to get a Big Mac when you could have received the same thing just by going around the corner. Everything's cookie-cutter and one-size-fits-all. If you don't like that, private school or homeschooling might be for you.

The difference in school performance are likely more a function of which schools' students have the most involved parents, or whose parents are content to let the public school system be solely responsible for educatiing their kids and not participating. Don't be one of those and you should do fine.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:58 AM

197 posts, read 262,167 times
Love the city and hate the 'burbs (because they're a big waste of time, as a young person) honestly, but even as a product of an HISD (which ranks in the top 200 schools for that old US News Public HS Report), sometimes I resent my HISD education because I am a private university student now. However, HISD does have SOME good programs, at all levels of education, but if specifically HS--Bellaire, Lamar, DeBakey and HSPVA just to name a few, but if you're talking overall school district I would definitely choose something outside of HISD, but know you can find the same, in Houston city limits with more diversity. It's just sometimes have to pay a bit more (for housing.)

And houstoner and jfre81 do have a point, its always more about how willing the child is to learn in the first place and that usually falls on the responsibility of a parent (when the child is of a young age.) Aptitude and willingness play a big role, I think.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:43 PM

960 posts, read 2,752,987 times
Hey, I'm a product of public school in HISD and did just fine blending into a professional career. My kids now go to some of the best schools in HISD. Disciplined education starts at home.

Don't be afraid to look in and around the Inner Loop.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,810 times
Default Hi!

I live in the woodlands/ spring and it is great out here!Spring has a really good school district and I think if u were going to move out here that u would love it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubre View Post
I'm new to Houston, TX and I'm thinking about living in lexingon estate in Spring texas. Are the schools good in spring and is Spring a good area to live in?

Old 08-10-2007, 05:54 PM

268 posts, read 1,490,033 times
Groens -- My apartment was in zip code 77019 and my son was zoned to Gregory Lincoln elementary - so even within the more prestigious zip codes, you still can end up being zoned to a less than desirable school.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 33,332 times
I think all district is good if they are willing to make it work. Just stay away from the ones that's been in the news. Private school is good and bad but they keep their information private.. hint hint . Once in awhile you get news coming out of there if the newscaster wants too.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:52 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,372,014 times
rice military, certain areas of the memorial area. ANYWHERE but cinco/katy/cy fair.

have hubby leave katy/cinco/cy fair ANY weekday morning between 6:00am and 7:30am and try to get to the galleria area... then do reverse, katy's great of you dont mond the two commute in the evening...

odds are you get a much better private school in rice than anything mentioned so far.

anyone telling you the commute from katy area to the galleria isnt bad, i would question their sanity... and motives.

good luck but do your own research.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:58 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,025,456 times
There are several good areas on all sides of town and all with excellent schools. Sugarland, Cy-Fair, Clear Lake, Friendswood, Pearland, League City, Kingwood, Woodlands. If you aren't opposed to a bit of a commute then it is just a matter of what side of town you like the best and what your outside interests are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston