Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM

649 posts, read 1,769,134 times

Advertisements

I've read through lots of post here but not much specific info on what your area is like for someone who's never been to the region. I'm retired single woman looking to live somewhere with no snow and not real expensive and clean safe area. I've never lived in humid clim before so don't know what to expect......and i'm a liberal so is your area real conservative?? I've lived in PNW; Montana, Oregon, Idaho and California. PNW weather sucks; grey sky all year round, Montana Idaho has snow; and Ca is toooooooo expensive. So still looking for a comfortable fit. Don't want to live in small town, like to do things and not a couch potato. So please tell me what the weather is like and how "open" are the people to liberals. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Houston weather is hot and humid especially in the summer. Imo, it is too humid even in the winter except for a few days. For example, the temperature here today is just fine. It's in the 60s even though it is evening. However, the humidity is 62% which is high for these temps. It felt sticky out though not unbearable for me. The other factor for me is the pollen count. My allergies are worse here than they have been anywhere else I have lived. Now, it probably depends on what pollens you are allergic to, but I find myself taking zyrtec every day.

Politicly, Houston is probably one of the more liberal Texas cities around. Even in my suburb, there were lots of people voting in the Democratic Primary. Houston also has the largest atheist meetup group in the US. However, you will find many Christian evangelicals who want to convert you if you are not the right religion. My dil has been told by her neighbor that she is going to hell because she is Hindu and goes to Temple. That's not the norm, but it does happen.

In terms of racial diversity, Houston is a pretty integrated town and people get along regardless of race. You will probably find your neighborhood housing to be fairly integrated. Different areas would be different in terms of safety as well.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:30 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
You will find a lot of people in Houston from the midwest and northeast states, or at least I have. Almost all of them will tell you that Houston summers are more bearable than Midwestern winters, although it does get uncomfortable around July-Aug. But kids still play and people are still out playing sports late summer. It isn't THAT hot. Ask anyone in Houston from southern India or the Phillipines about Houston heat, and they will laugh at you.

You will find any and every type of person in Houston whether it is religion, race, country of origin, etc. Most people are very open. I have met only one person who pushed religion upon me and that was back around 1988 when I was in college. I have lived in Houston and SE Tx all my life. There are some really religious Christian people in this part of the state. They are happy to talk religion IF you want to, but most have the 'take it or leave it' mentality and not the 'Christians only' mentality. You will also find all kinds of other religions in the city. Everyone gets along. Houston has better race relations history than a lot of other American cities.

There are safe, relatively inexpensive areas all over the city, and there are dodgy areas all over. It all depends on where you want to live and preferably where you work. I have co-workers that make an hour plus commute each way every day if they catch traffic when it is not bad. I am lucky to live close to work, so my commute is 10 minutes door to door

Old 12-31-2010, 05:32 PM

thanks nan...wow....does sound humid............maybe too humid, i like being outdoors as much as possible, i love to hike and take my dog for long walks so if it gets real hot then the summers may be like living sorta in snow up here where you get confined indoors due to conditions. that sucks!! i've checked out mesa az but looks soooooo brown, have been to the area and don't mind the desert but as i get older the heat bothers me more. i like diversity as long as the crime isn't out of hand. but houston is on the coast so you have the diversity of landscape over most of az...i'll see what other post have to say....i'm not allergic to anything so haven't had problems with that even when i did live in the desert...thanks again.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
There are safe, relatively inexpensive areas all over the city, and there are dodgy areas all over. It all depends on where you want to live and preferably where you work. I have co-workers that make an hour plus commute each way every day if they catch traffic when it is not bad. I am lucky to live close to work, so my commute is 10 minutes door to door
She's retired. See the OP

Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM

been reading through craigslist for houston........what are garage apartments?????? never heard that term before??? is it just what it says; someone turned their garage into an apartment and are renting it out????

Old 12-31-2010, 06:19 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Well, I'm from CA and I lived for 10 years in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm happy here. Houston is not scenic like CA or the Pacific Northwest, but the cost is so much lower, the trade off is worth it to me.

I prefer hot and humid to gray and rainy, so Houston weather is better for me than Seattle or Portland weather. California weather can't be beat, but California has so many other problems, I can't see moving back there.

I'm fairly liberal, too, and I'm surviving even in the suburbs. In Houston itself, you will have no problem.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 PM

thanks topaz for the feedback ; ................houston souds like a welcoming city; with lots to do; that's great; since i'm retired i like to do volunteer work and be outdoors a lot and souds like houston has lots going for it and apartments don't look to be very expensive; but then again the utilities could be what drive the cost of living there up...........................................
just found a web site that compares utility cost nationwide and guess what......houston is the second most expensive city for overall utilites with baltimore being the most expensive and los angles the least; they compare all major us cities average utility cost...... so what would i expect to pay for utilities if i lived in a 1 bedroom about 800sqft apt????? anyone what to venture a guess or share their cost??? thanks

Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Garage apartments are apartments built on top of the garages and usually leased out - typically found inside the loop and not all that cheap - because it's inside the loop.

If you want to retire in a small home with a nice community - with very reasonable costs - I would suggest Copperfield. The subdivision has a mix of large and small home - built in the 80's and 90's - with lots of parks and pools.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
thanks topaz for the feedback ; ................houston souds like a welcoming city; with lots to do; that's great; since i'm retired i like to do volunteer work and be outdoors a lot and souds like houston has lots going for it and apartments don't look to be very expensive; but then again the utilities could be what drive the cost of living there up...........................................
just found a web site that compares utility cost nationwide and guess what......houston is the second most expensive city for overall utilites with baltimore being the most expensive and los angles the least; they compare all major us cities average utility cost...... so what would i expect to pay for utilities if i lived in a 1 bedroom about 800sqft apt????? anyone what to venture a guess or share their cost??? thanks
Apartments are usually electric heat - I would say $200 in the summer for a one bedroom in utilities - and drop to about $80 in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: