Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:22 PM

70 posts, read 207,002 times

Advertisements

I lived there for almost 13 years (because of jobs) and hated it. I have lived all over the world (Australia, Europe, Asia) and see absolutely no appeal to Houston other than that it is super cheap to live there. Sure the Mexican food is great, but there really is nothing else that compares to what other major cities have to offer. The city is ugly, concrete and there are no hills. The ocean is gross, dirty and far away. The lakes are man made, dirty and swamp-like. There is absolutely no scenery. It's not walkable. It's dangerous. Huge. Sprawl. Humid. Hurricanes. Flooding. Roaches.

So, I guess I'm just curious if anyone actually chooses to live there and why? Everyone I know/knew had to live there because of their jobs. I have moved on (first to NYC, currently in San Diego and now moving to Seattle). If I was moving to TX and could choose where to live, I'd pick Austin, San Antonio or the hill country. Austin is beautiful!!

Oh, I will admit that people in Houston are very friendly and nice. That is not the norm in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,254 times
We chose to live here because my brother & wife plus several of my cousins are here and we really want our children to grow up with their cousins. The level of medical care was also a plus for us. I can honestly say that I would not have chosen Houston if it weren't for the family ties as our jobs can travel with us. As it is, we're trying to build our life here and I try not to complain (yes - I am the one with the ties but the more resistant to Houston one! DH is happy here). I think I've gotten over comparing it to SD because really, it's apples & oranges and comparing is just silly because they ARE so different.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,746,144 times
I live here for business. If I had a choice I would live in Austin. That being said I don't think Houston is that bad.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,679,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
I lived there for almost 13 years (because of jobs) and hated it. I have lived all over the world (Australia, Europe, Asia) and see absolutely no appeal to Houston other than that it is super cheap to live there. Sure the Mexican food is great, but there really is nothing else that compares to what other major cities have to offer. The city is ugly, concrete and there are no hills. The ocean is gross, dirty and far away. The lakes are man made, dirty and swamp-like. There is absolutely no scenery. It's not walkable. It's dangerous. Huge. Sprawl. Humid. Hurricanes. Flooding. Roaches.

So, I guess I'm just curious if anyone actually chooses to live there and why? Everyone I know/knew had to live there because of their jobs. I have moved on (first to NYC, currently in San Diego and now moving to Seattle). If I was moving to TX and could choose where to live, I'd pick Austin, San Antonio or the hill country. Austin is beautiful!!

Oh, I will admit that people in Houston are very friendly and nice. That is not the norm in other cities.
I didn't want to come here but was kidnapped at gunpoint by henchmen from a mexican drug cartel and dragged to Houston against my will. I am now locked up and held captive as the sex slave of the entire Houston Texan's cheerleading squad.

Since this is such a rotten city others must have a story similar to mine. Why else would anyone dream of moving here and why the hell would they stay in such an armpit of a city?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,871,617 times
Yes, it is ugly.. but that's been discussed here a million times.

And no, If I had a choice I would be somewhere else

Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,586,840 times
I love Houston if I had a chance to move I you stay here nothing going any where elese

Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM

125 posts, read 312,538 times
Well let's see, after saying there is nothing appealing here you said 1) it is cheap to live here 2) there is great Mexican food and 3) the people are really friendly wow - not too bad for a start.

My company let me choose which of 14 offices I wanted and I chose Houston (the only option in TX) for all 3 of those reasons and several other ones that fit my family well. I have lived all over the US and traveled overseas too. Since moving here I have found that Houston is highly under-rated as a big city - great restaurants, great cultural diversity wonderful museums and from what I hear but haven't seen yet good theater. I really could go on but I am sure others will.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times
I dont think its a bad place, I have been many places much worse. My job brings me here, will I stay when I retire? Maybe...a quiet place in the Hill Country has appeal.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:32 PM

254 posts, read 465,060 times
Im actually moving back to Houston from Philadelphia because I love it there. Different jokes for different folks.

I love the food, the beauty of the city, the fact that it is flat (makes for better bike commutes), endless things to do, and the fantastic culture.
I honestly feel the city is beautiful. Look at pictures of Houston. Look at that bayou and all those trees. Houston is a very green city!!! NY is a concrete jungle compared to Houston!!! I can say that because Philly is only 1.5 hours away so I have had my share of trips to the big apple. In fact, all of these old cities up here are concrete jungles no matter how you slice it!
I love the flatness of Houston. I am a person who bikes to get from place to place (not for rec or exercise). Flat = AWESOME!

So yeah, different jokes for different folks. Your first pick in a city is probably garbage in my opinion since NOTHING can touch my Houston.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,974,034 times
We lived in Houston for 3 years (until May) entirely by choice. I've lived in Austin for 10 years and have a house in New Braunfels (the Hill Country) that we still have despite moving up to NYC this summer.

If we were moving back to Texas full time while raising a family, I'd move to Houston in a heartbeat. I'd much rather raise my daughter in Houston than Austin (or any other city in Texas). I certainly wouldn't raise her in New Braunfels.

But if we were moving back to retire (without kids), I'd move to New Braunfels over Houston.

Austin's cool, but when you're in your 20s. Once it's time to grow up, Houston's a pretty good place to be.

And again, I've noticed that most of the people who "hate" Houston generally live so far outside the loop that what they really hate is traffic and their own long commute to anything worth living in Houston for.

I can think of much worse places in America to be.

EDITED TO ADD: That all being said, I also chose to leave Houston (and Texas in general) to move to NYC; so I guess that probably answers your question too.

Last edited by zdg; 09-08-2009 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: To add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston