Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times

Advertisements

Why are we so friendly if we live in a city that everyone hates? That's the question I've never been able to wrap my head around in these sort of discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,176,439 times
Hou and Dall are global epicenters of the energy industry, a quite important, wealth-creating industry

Many wealthy capitalists in CA and NYC greatly admire the capitalist, low-tax, pro-business ethos of Hou and Dall (and many are looking at Dall/Hou for tax residency)

Would argue QOL in Hou or Dall is not much different (no matter how much money one has) vs NYC or Chic which both have crappy weather/topography/dubious local produce....and a less modern, car-friendly, climate-controlled infrastructure....and are further from SF/LA for wkend escapes for civilized weather and grub

Old 09-09-2009, 01:34 AM

25 posts, read 51,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
I lived there for almost 13 years (because of jobs) and hated it. I have lived all over the world (Australia, Europe, Asia) and see absolutely no appeal to Houston other than that it is super cheap to live there. Sure the Mexican food is great, but there really is nothing else that compares to what other major cities have to offer. The city is ugly, concrete and there are no hills. The ocean is gross, dirty and far away. The lakes are man made, dirty and swamp-like. There is absolutely no scenery. It's not walkable. It's dangerous. Huge. Sprawl. Humid. Hurricanes. Flooding. Roaches.

So, I guess I'm just curious if anyone actually chooses to live there and why? Everyone I know/knew had to live there because of their jobs. I have moved on (first to NYC, currently in San Diego and now moving to Seattle). If I was moving to TX and could choose where to live, I'd pick Austin, San Antonio or the hill country. Austin is beautiful!!

Oh, I will admit that people in Houston are very friendly and nice. That is not the norm in other cities.
I for one, am thankful for this poster's honesty. I seriously am struggling with the move to Houston from Southern CA. But I am going to work hard to make this my HOME. It's a give-and-take...if Houston offers you a better lifestyle, give back. That's what I plan to do.

probably better than Minnesota (that was a choice) LOL

I do hope I love it...
E

Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 AM

912 posts, read 2,561,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Why are we so friendly if we live in a city that everyone hates? That's the question I've never been able to wrap my head around in these sort of discussions.
My theory is that people compensate for the general unpleasantness of their environment by being nicer themselves (this theory is somewhat undermined by Paris and Parisians)

It could just be however that Texans and Houstonians in particular are actually just nice people.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,687,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrownEyedGirl View Post
I for one, am thankful for this poster's honesty. I seriously am struggling with the move to Houston from Southern CA. But I am going to work hard to make this my HOME. It's a give-and-take...if Houston offers you a better lifestyle, give back. That's what I plan to do.

probably better than Minnesota (that was a choice) LOL

I do hope I love it...
E
Houston is not for everyone and you are not obligated to like it here (let alone move here). I think the real question is why someone feels the need to come to a forum like this just to gratuitously bash the city. I moved to Texas from Southern California (San Diego and L.A.) and love it here. To each their own.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Blah....

Seems like the OP only sees the negative, and forgets about everything else. And a lot of that negative is exaggerated.

Look up the OP's post history. Someone living in Southern California comes in here to complain and whine. *yawn*

It must be tough living out there when you've got nutcases coming out of the woodwork in September / October, who break themselves off by torching 250 square miles at a time.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 AM

509 posts, read 1,170,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
...Minneapolis/St. Paul: one word: snow. ...
Give me snow.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times
I actually loved it here until about 3-4 years ago. It has actually gotten too large for me at this point and too crowded. So at some point, I will sadly move elsewhere in Texas (most likely). However, when that time comes - if I could not afford to go elsewhere in the state, then I would most likely move closer to the coast (not Galveston, but perhaps League City, Santa Fe) instead of way. So many newcomers are afraid to move near the coast because of hurricane potential - not a problem for me. I find this side of town to be more condusive to an outdoor lifestyle and very bikeable. I even love the weather here. Humidity keeps your skin nourished, I like year-round warm weather with only a few cold days. If I need a sweater - it's too cold for me. Flip-flops year-round when wearing casual clothes - YEAH.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 AM

124 posts, read 321,171 times
Houston - It's worth it. We've got:

Shopping
Sports
Established nieghborhoods with TREES...HUGE TREES
Major Universities
Fortune 500 Companies
Food like you wouldn't believe
Always something to complain about - keeps us always reaching to improve

Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,358,757 times
//Yes, the subway is cool---but not at rush hour, and not when it's slush/rain/sneet outside and everything smells like wet dirty underwear, and not when you're crammed in so tightly that you have to pass your stop because you can't freaking shove your way out---and the guy next to you is sneezing on you//

Ah, the memories......I didn't have to ride the subway daily but I have had the sardines-in-a-can experience, for sure. (No one ever peed on my shoes but dripping umbrellas did. I did have my first and only flasher though, right outside Grand Central on E. 44th in one of those recessed doorways...did you ever???)

Anyway, great post, Malvie. I would argue about the no-zoning...to me, it's a contributing factor to those who consider the city "ugly"...but overall the home city is what you make it, and you have. I'm still getting there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston