Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,027,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
I lived there for almost 13 years (because of jobs) and hated it. I have lived all over the world (Australia, Europe, Asia) and see absolutely no appeal to Houston other than that it is super cheap to live there. Sure the Mexican food is great, but there really is nothing else that compares to what other major cities have to offer.
I'm guessing you've never tried the food in Chinatown. Houston is constantly rated as having one of the best restaurant scenes in the country. Almost any kind of food you could ever imagine is available here & for a reasonable price.

Quote:
The city is ugly, concrete and there are no hills. The ocean is gross, dirty and far away. The lakes are man made, dirty and swamp-like. There is absolutely no scenery. It's not walkable. It's dangerous. Huge. Sprawl. Humid. Hurricanes. Flooding. Roaches.
Miami & Chicago don't have hills. Does that make them ugly too? Natural disasters occur anywhere you live. California is long over due for another major earthquake, its just a matter of time. You saw what a small hillside fire out there can turn into.

Quote:
So, I guess I'm just curious if anyone actually chooses to live there and why? Everyone I know/knew had to live there because of their jobs. I have moved on (first to NYC, currently in San Diego and now moving to Seattle). If I was moving to TX and could choose where to live, I'd pick Austin, San Antonio or the hill country. Austin is beautiful!!
All of those cities are nice if you can afford to live there. Austin is over rated, seriously. People choose Houston for many reasons...plentiful jobs, stable economy, cultural attractions, diversity, friendliness, etc. Try finding another city with all of those qualities for as cheap as it is to live in Houston, you won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
The city has actually tried to become more strict with pollution regulations and enforcement. Unfortunately, it's been hampered by... the state.
They should've been here 10-20 years ago.

The city's leaders can only operate within state law that holds them back on a number of things. For instance, want the billboards gone? Get ready (as taxpayers) to pony up for not only the property on which the billboard sits but also for lost revenue to whoever owns/owned the billboard. We've had an ordinance since the 80s but it doesn't do much for what's already there.

Just like zoning. It won't change where anything's sitting right now.

Maybe I don't know any better because I grew up here (well, Texas City, but I spent a lot of time in Houston and TC is uglier than Houston, with zoning to boot). But I'm just not bothered by most of this stuff that bothers other people. Sprawl? Sure, but I don't have to go far for much of anything on a day to day basis. I have no need to go to the other side of town unless I'm flying out of IAH, and major airports in other cities are on the fringe of the city or several miles outside the limits anyway.

Summer sucks, but guess what, summer's hot. August isn't exactly a winter wonderland in Chicago or NYC, or anywhere far enough inland in California.

Houston's flat. Flat land is easier for urban development. The east half of Austin's about as flat as Houston. NYC, Chicago and any other Midwestern city hardly remind one of the Rockies. New Orleans and Miami are built on the same basic type of terrain. Seattle has Rainier on the horizon but the city itself sits on a tideflat.

The good thing about hurricanes is you plan for them and you have some warning. There could be an earthquake in LA by the time I finish typing this post. Just like there could be a hurricane this year. But if history is any indication, we're probably looking at 15-20 years before another storm on the level of Ike. And despite the devastation on Galveston and Bolivar, it wasn't exactly an apocalyptic event in the city of Houston.

Flooding happens in a lot of places too. Ask people in Fargo, North Dakota or Des Moines, Iowa. If you don't want flooding, you can't be anywhere near water, and then you may well complain about not having water anywhere around.

Maybe I'm here because I wouldn't make it in any other large city, at least one I'd like living in more than Houston. (Sorry, Dallas/Phoenix/Atlanta/other insert-Sun Belt-city here). Maybe that's why a lot of people are here. Maybe the people who are in that boat and hate it here so much just hate that they don't have more money than they do.

Oh well, life sucks sometimes.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 PM

81 posts, read 230,875 times
I've been here since March and I still haven't met a single person who doesn't like living in Houston. However, this message board makes it seem like very few residents enjoy it here.

I've traveled extensively throughout the US and abroad for work and it seems like all cities are either overrated or underrated. Cities that are generally considered to be great have never lived up to the hype or at least have some huge drawbacks (like cost of living). Conversely, the cities that frequently get bashed probably deserve a little more credit. The difference between a "great" city and a bad one isn't as much as most people think it is. All cities have good qualities and bad ones.

What can you do in LA or in NYC that you can't do in Houston? Granted, the asthetics aren't the same, but my life in Houston is the same as it would be in any other city and at a much lower cost of living. Regardless of what city I live in, I still go to work, run at the park, eat at fine restaurants, go to the beach on weekends, go to concerts and bars with friends, etc. Houston is huge and I enjoy that fact that I am always discovering something new about this city, whether it's new restaurants, bars, venues, or entire neighborhoods.

I think someone mentioned that it's not where you are, but who you're with. That really is so true. I think many people don't enjoy Houston because they are here for work and not close to their friends, family, and the culture that they have grown up with. I love the fact that so many people living here are from other states and countries. Houston does not feel like a typical Texas city to me (not that there is anything wrong with the typical Texas city feel).

I get so sick of the summer weather comments. It's hot, big deal! Put on some breathable clothes and get outside anyway. I hope I can use my pool until November. I like snow as much as the next guy, but after about a week of it, the novelity runs out. Besides, it's less than $200 round trip to fly to Denver for a weekend of skiing.

I'm sorry for rambling on, but these comments I've been reading just seem so ridiculous. I can't believe the things that people whine about. We have it pretty good, people.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,975,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
These two sentences sum up why most of the coastal media types feel negativity about Houston and Texas and general. No matter how progressive Houston becomes or what it offers, it will always be associated with big oil and alleged backward Texas politics--two things that the media and liberal elite love to hate.
Just to clarify, are you saying Houston is progressive or saying it's working on becoming progressive?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
... it's not "where you're at" that makes you happy, but "who you're with". Life satisfaction is ulitimately about relationships. If you are miserable in any large US city, you probably have other things going on influencing your mood.
BINGO!

There is so much truth to that!

When I was still living in San Diego and posting to the San Diego forum there were many people who "hated" San Diego for any number of reasons. As you read their posts (variations on a theme), you came to realize that some of these people would NEVER be happy no matter where they are because of some other underlying issues. NOT saying that about the OP but that's what was pretty evident over at the SD board and I think could probably be said of many here who post about hating Houston.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,482,284 times
I've been in Houston all of my life and I like it for the most part. The only drawback in my opinion is the summers....hot as hell. Houston has a low cost of living, plenty of jobs, great housing, great entertainment, great restaurants, great shopping. What more can you ask for? I don't need to have hills, mountains or the ocean near me. If I want to see that, I can travel.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM

469 posts, read 1,453,056 times
I have lived many places, some in TX, and some in other states. I have never really lived in a place that makes me unhappy...until now.
I'm sorry to those of you who love Houston, but there are a lot of us who do not care for living here.
My husband is from Houston, he can take it or leave it. He is also in the oil/pipeline business, which is why we are here.
But, instead of just complaining everyday, we are actively seeking employment elsewhere. And I have to say, I will never live in the Houston area again. It may be wonderland for some, but it is dismal for me. Just stating my opinion, as many do on this forum.
Good luck to us all, those who stay and those who leave.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:36 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,975,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
I have lived many places, some in TX, and some in other states. I have never really lived in a place that makes me unhappy...until now.
I'm sorry to those of you who love Houston, but there are a lot of us who do not care for living here.
My husband is from Houston, he can take it or leave it. He is also in the oil/pipeline business, which is why we are here.
But, instead of just complaining everyday, we are actively seeking employment elsewhere. And I have to say, I will never live in the Houston area again. It may be wonderland for some, but it is dismal for me. Just stating my opinion, as many do on this forum.
Good luck to us all, those who stay and those who leave.
Are you sure it isn't Katy you hate and not Houston? I'm actually asking; not making a point.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:06 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
I moved here by choice in 1976, big move coming from a small town. But now my taste have changed dramatically and I want to move.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,027,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillpie View Post
I'm now completely depressed as we may be moving to Houston from UK - yes, 'spoken' to some of you but decided for a pseudonym as I'm so opinionated and may be better! Please start saying more positive things! I must admit though as long as there is beauty within the 90 minute of so periphery I can handle the drudgery of city lifew on a daily basis. We currenty live in Glasgow and it's not a pretty city at all but the restaurants, shops and parks make up for this.
You'll find the beauty if you want to. If you come close-minded - you'll never see it. The beauty is in the people, the lifestyles, the opportunities, the things you can do. Most people I know from the UK (I know a few) seem to be quite happy here. You'll do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston