Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,631,514 times

Advertisements

What I don't get is this - Jane like old buildings and neighborhoods (hey, I do too) but she's in Southern California. SoCal is where the newer-is-better, low-slung suburban sprawl mentality was practically invented. LA is the prototype of Sun Belt metropolitan areas.

Last edited by jfre81; 09-16-2009 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:37 AM

439 posts, read 1,244,569 times
I chose to move to Houston after doing about a year or so of research on the city. Originally Houston wasn't my first choice. And I didn't really know much about it. But when I learned more about the city, I realized it was a place for me. The positives about this place outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 AM

70 posts, read 207,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
What I don't get is this - Jane like old buildings and neighborhoods (hey, I do too) but she's in Southern California. SoCal is where the newer-is-better, low-slung suburban sprawl mentality was practically invented. LA is the prototype of Sun Belt metropolitan areas.
I'm not in LA. I don't choose where I live - hence the thread. I move where there are jobs. I am NOT a fan of So Cals housing. I think it is hideous. I dislike stucco, brown/tan single story ranch houses. I can make any house a home, but it doesn't mean I love the style.

I'm on the move anyway. I'll only be in CA for 3 more months. I consider myself a Texan, since that's the place I have lived the longest. Love the state, just not Houston. Lots of bad memories there. I left after college.

{Mod Cut}

Last edited by Oildog; 09-18-2009 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
I'm not in LA.
I didn't say you were. I said you were in Southern California, just like you did.

If you move here for a job, you still chose to move here. This isn't the only place in the world where you can find a job. You could always say "no thanks, I'd rather look elsewhere."

Old 09-18-2009, 12:07 PM

70 posts, read 207,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I didn't say you were. I said you were in Southern California, just like you did.

If you move here for a job, you still chose to move here. This isn't the only place in the world where you can find a job. You could always say "no thanks, I'd rather look elsewhere."
Well that is true. Life is full of choices. I should have said that my hubby is transferred/promoted and we move w/ the same company. We dont just pack up and move to a city without jobs.

Ok, I'm done w/ these Houston boards. Reading this stuff has only made me dislike the city more. You guys are definitely not the friendly Houstonians I remember.

I volunteered for 3 days overnight at the Astrodome during Katrina and did tons of volunteer work for that city. I am not just some random Houston basher or "troll". Apparently this board does not respect anyone that has a negative opinion of the city. I thought I could give some insight, since I lived there for so long and NEVER liked it despite going to college there, meeting my husband there, having my daughter there, etc.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I volunteered for 3 days overnight at the Astrodome during Katrina and did tons of volunteer work for that city.
Those weren't Houstonians. But I get your point all the same.

Quote:
Apparently this board does not respect anyone that has a negative opinion of the city.
Expressed intelligently and rationally, yes, I do. But you had your mind made up before you even came in here. Don't pretend you didn't. You asked a specific question and you found out, yes, there are people who choose to live here, and it seems like you're the one who can't seem to come to grips with that. We have a new Houston bash thread every week, so for many it gets kind of old.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 PM

243 posts, read 488,867 times
Quote:
Love the state, just not Houston. Lots of bad memories there. I left after college.
I don't think you are a troll. You expressed your opinions which are just as valid as mine and the rest of the posters on this board.

However, the quoted sentence says it all. You had bad memories in houston, most likely personal, which made you dislike the city. You blame it on the climate, the politics, the aesthetics, etc but when someone dislikes a place its usually due to personal issues they had when they lived there. I may hate NYC because I wasted 3 years of my life there trying to become an investment banker for a particular firm and was miserable in the process. That doesn't necessarily reflect on NYC but since my experience sucked, I chalk it off to being NYC's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston