Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:13 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,583,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post

We would need an influx of Italians to accomplish that, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it won't happen. And I wouldn't say that we would need an influx:

The Italian Cultural and Community Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 12:27 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,694,576 times
Feh. Culture can't be created from the top down. It should develop organically from the bottom up and needs a sizeable number of people, either arriving all at once or over a number of years, from various classes to sustain it, IMO.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
does houston celebrate saint patricks day, err like in other cities?

It's also not hard to believe that the best of the best hole-in-the-wall places are in the burbs (somewhere). obviously thats where the hungry kids and adults would be
There are St. Patrick's Day parades and celebrations. We don't have ethnic Italian and Irish enclaves; down here they're just white people, so it's not on the same level as other cities with historic ethnic neighborhoods.

Not defensive. Just reminding you that Houston ain't Boston and it ain't Chicago. I find your questions and observations in this and other threads perplexing because they suggest you haven't tried very hard to learn this city, or were misled as to what life here is like. Have you read any of the local papers or magazines? Read the Houston Press online for things to do. I think it would help you learn to enjoy your life here.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,126,714 times
Quote:
There are St. Patrick's Day parades and celebrations. We don't have ethnic Italian and Irish enclaves; down here they're just white people, so it's not on the same level as other cities with historic ethnic neighborhoods.

Not defensive. Just reminding you that Houston ain't Boston and it ain't Chicago. I find your questions and observations in this and other threads perplexing because they suggest you haven't tried very hard to learn this city, or were misled as to what life here is like. Have you read any of the local papers or magazines? Read the Houston Press online for things to do. I think it would help you learn to enjoy your life here.
ah i like the that tone and i appreciate it. I think its my fault that at some post I made people think i'm not enjoying Houston, although I did say a lot of times that we like it here. I'm sure these posts would be me replying to threads comparing houston and NYC. That doesnt mean Houston does not compare to NYC, but Houston is hard to compare to NYC because the signs and sources of *good* info and feedback is just all different plus other aspects of the city and its people. take for instance the korean-town and chinatown configurations. in 'other chinatowns', i'm sure you can relate that you can stand in one spot and see which restaurants are popular (people lining up). you can walk a few steps and look inside and pretty much see what you can get. preview the menu if you want. walk a few blocks for more choices. same goes for little italy and other areas. also, because of the open door (or no window covers) setup of establishments in cooler (temperaturewise) cities dining out is less of a hassle, its practically like and part of window shopping.
I understand reading the paper but I need to see whos writing them most of the time. if its similar to the guy who wrote the forbes article then theyre just wasting my time. I'm sure you'll agree the best source is word-of-mouth (is that the right term?) but i see the enthusiasm is low at my workplace. obviously a lot has given up because of the heat and the glum, emptiness of downtown houston.

There is a korean place in NYC metro (actually Fort Lee NJ, not K-town manhattan) that has only 3 things on the menu. spicy Tofu soup, korean bbq ribs and drinks. its darn good, korean, japanese etc families line up even tho there are lots of (empty)restaurants in the area. We lined up for this place for up to 30mins. has anyone found something like it? I think this is my calling in Houston LOL.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:39 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,583,196 times
Quote:
Feh. Culture can't be created from the top down. It should develop organically from the bottom up and needs a sizeable number of people, either arriving all at once or over a number of years, from various classes to sustain it, IMO.
Well I just feel that website proves that the Italian community is trying to make their presence and culture well known and appreciated in the city of Houston. You've got to understand how culturally important it is for this city that it happens.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:14 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,426,689 times
Houston IS indeed one of the best restaurant cities in the entire United States. I cannot get over the diverse menu at my feet on a daily basis. So many cuisines, so little time... I could eat at a different restaurant every single day for the next 10 years and never see the same menu twice.

The above is merely my opinion. And you know what they say about those.

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 06-20-2007 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Just 'cause I know AustinTraveler is watching. :-)

Old 06-20-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
ah i like the that tone and i appreciate it. I think its my fault that at some post I made people think i'm not enjoying Houston, although I did say a lot of times that we like it here. I'm sure these posts would be me replying to threads comparing houston and NYC. That doesnt mean Houston does not compare to NYC, but Houston is hard to compare to NYC because the signs and sources of *good* info and feedback is just all different plus other aspects of the city and its people. take for instance the korean-town and chinatown configurations. in 'other chinatowns', i'm sure you can relate that you can stand in one spot and see which restaurants are popular (people lining up). you can walk a few steps and look inside and pretty much see what you can get. preview the menu if you want. walk a few blocks for more choices. same goes for little italy and other areas. also, because of the open door (or no window covers) setup of establishments in cooler (temperaturewise) cities dining out is less of a hassle, its practically like and part of window shopping.
I understand reading the paper but I need to see whos writing them most of the time. if its similar to the guy who wrote the forbes article then theyre just wasting my time. I'm sure you'll agree the best source is word-of-mouth (is that the right term?) but i see the enthusiasm is low at my workplace. obviously a lot has given up because of the heat and the glum, emptiness of downtown houston.

There is a korean place in NYC metro (actually Fort Lee NJ, not K-town manhattan) that has only 3 things on the menu. spicy Tofu soup, korean bbq ribs and drinks. its darn good, korean, japanese etc families line up even tho there are lots of (empty)restaurants in the area. We lined up for this place for up to 30mins. has anyone found something like it? I think this is my calling in Houston LOL.
I understand what you mean, but that's not a phenomenon you'll commonly find in Houston simply because this isn't a pedestrian-oriented city. If there's a line some place you can always drive somewhere else. Try Houston - Restaurant Guide (http://restaurants.houstonpress.com/ - broken link) or Houston Restaurants - B4-U-EAT as another poster suggested. You can search by neighborhood, price, cuisine. There may be some locally-based chains like Berryhill's in there, but I don't think there are many, if any, other chains included.

Last edited by houstoner; 06-20-2007 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: added quote

Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,576,280 times
Mom2Feebs: We would all love for you to let us in on the names of all these wonderful mom and pops that you could eat at every single day for 365 days for 10 whole years and never have the same meal twice. We surely would love that... Other than some wonderful fine dining places, we saw only a plethora of franchises and the very, very, very occasional mom and pop restaurant.
Funny, I lived in Bellaire--in the CENTER of Houston, the city Houston built around--and could not accomplish what you say you have: eating out at a different mom and pop restaurant for 365 days for ten years.
Moderator cut: rude and unnecessary

So, can you tell us where we can find these hidden restaurants? Could you share some of the names with the rest of us? We would love to try the ones you have been eating at, since you seem to have found what nobody else in the city of Houston has been able to find.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-20-2007 at 05:12 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 PM

657 posts, read 2,547,520 times
On the west side I can go to Romano's for pizza. Sylvia's Enchilada Kitchen or Mexico's Deli Tortas & Tacos for Mexican food. Phoenicia Deli for middle east food. Burger Tex for good burgers. Etc. You really need to spend some time on Houston Restaurants - B4-U-EAT

Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,197,397 times
Sorry I believe the top-ranked restaurant was The French Room at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston