Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Indeed. It's good enough for me and quite a few other Houstonians. I don't eat Italian often (hardly ever). Italian isn't exactly our forte in Texas.
But it could be, and I wish it would. To me, Italian is like high end for your taste buds. Plus, everyone knows how much people love pizza. Great, authentic pizza. If Houston could master its Italian culture, there really wouldn't be much left to conquer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:18 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
Actually the Italian in the suburbs is pretty good.

But wouldn't be much left to conquer? I beg to differ on that one; even if you are just talking about food, there is still a lot of room for improvement. And we are only No 1 in Texas.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Actually the Italian in the suburbs is pretty good.

But wouldn't be much left to conquer? I beg to differ on that one; even if you are just talking about food, there is still a lot of room for improvement. And we are only No 1 in Texas.
I meant in culture specifically. Not necessarily in culinary areas.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
In Chicago, for example, you could eat 365 days a year at a different wonderful mom and pop type restaurant with first class cuisine for less than $15-20 per person. You CANNOT do this in Houston.
One could argue that you CANNOT do this anywhere outside of New York and Chicago, and it depends what you call first class cuisine.

On the other hand, why is your post convincing me that you have not really been to Houston??? One must be blind to not see these thousands of very affordable, great restaurants. But as I said earlier, you speak as if you have been over the entire 601 square mileage of Houston, Texas.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
When I lived in Houston, I tried to avoid chain resturaunts like the plague, and it wasn't hard to do. There's enough around to keep yourself occupied, at least there was 7+ years ago when I lived in there.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I meant in culture specifically. Not necessarily in culinary areas.

We would need an influx of Italians to accomplish that, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
From one who visits Houston quite often it is truely a great restaurant city. Hole in the wall, fine cuisine and everything in between, it has it all.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
This ain't NYC. Accept it, move on, or move back!
for the record, I am reacting to the quite misleading webpage ... hopefully avoid disappointments again :\ Not sure what stage of defense mechanism is in the works when "houstoners" and other texas natives start suggesting we go back to other states. Unfortunately, I just came from NYC and pizzarias there are shown on TV so almost everyone can relate to my description, i hope.
This ain't even like NYC. Not even close. And I can see that

Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
does houston celebrate saint patricks day, err like in other cities?

It's also not hard to believe that the best of the best hole-in-the-wall places are in the burbs (somewhere). obviously thats where the hungry kids and adults would be

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
When I lived in Houston, I tried to avoid chain resturaunts like the plague, and it wasn't hard to do. There's enough around to keep yourself occupied, at least there was 7+ years ago when I lived in there.
And there still is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston