Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:16 PM

184 posts, read 611,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I have lived in DC, Chicago and Houston (22 years in Houston and just moved). DC and Houston have NOTHING on Chicago restaurantwise.
Maybe someone can point me to all these wonderful restaurants in Houston that must be hidden?
I thought this article was a joke at first. Houston has some fine places, like America's, but...come on...it is primarily franchises there. One of the finest cites for restaurants in America? How bad are the restaurants in America then?
I'm not buying it....
I respect all opinions but I have to defer with yours ... I live in South Florida and travel to Houston frequently on business .... I have been all over the U.S. and the world ..... not saying that Houston can compete with Paris , Rome , Chicago or New York for that matter .... but 6th best restaurant city in the U.S. for sure . I have been to outstanding restaurants such as Quattro ( Italian ) La Griglia ( Italian ) Brennans ( awesome ) Cafe Annie , Mark's American Cuisine and Hugos ( upscale Tex Mex ) and any of these restaurants can compete with and are on the same level with any major city in the U.S.

Living in South Florida I have dined in many world class restaurants on South Beach , Coral Gables and Ft.Lauderdale ... and again Houston does not take a back seat to any of them . I have had Asian Cuisine in Houston that rivals anything in San Francisco or New York ... yes there are a lot of franchises in Houston just as there are in Chicago .... but to say that Houston does not have outstanding restaurant fare and that it is all "chains " is just wrong .

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-20-2007 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Deleted part of quote that was edited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Houston is fine if you like tamales out of a cart, an icehouse plastic wrapped sandwich, shady taquerias, eggrolls at a service station, IHOPs, Denny's and other cheesy chains. About the only thing good to come out of Houston is the Pappas restaurants and George was from Dallas.

I will give Houston credit for Goode Company BBQ. Oh and Ninfa's used to be fine, but the last time I went to one I couldn't even eat the green sauce which used to be so good.
Ohhhh okay...so this must be the reason why Houston is viewed as the #1 restaurant city in Texas and why Dallas didn't even get a spot.....yeah that makes sense

PLEASE. Houston was ranked on the same tier as Masa in New York which is arguably the most prestigious restaurant in the country.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Houston is fine if you like tamales out of a cart, an icehouse plastic wrapped sandwich, shady taquerias, eggrolls at a service station, IHOPs, Denny's and other cheesy chains. About the only thing good to come out of Houston is the Pappas restaurants and George was from Dallas.
For the record, I disagree, naturally, but I've got to hand it to you, Lakewooder... that was funny! LOL You know Houston so well!!! I love my shady taquerias and two dollar Vietnamese sammiches, thanks.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
I like tacos out of the cart, they are like houston's version of hotdog stands. Have to drive and chase them down sometimes though.
And we should have those Vietnamese sandwiches in a cart too.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Great idea! And it's summer... the ice cream carts have started rolling out. I went to the farmers market on Airline yesterday and paid a whole dollar for a paleta (Mexican popsicle) from the lady hawking them out back. I couldn't believe it. Prices are skyrocketing out of this world! LOL

I remember one of the comforting things about living in Dallas was going to the Fiesta near Lower Greenville and buying cheap greasy tacos. Yum! Good thing I've got a stomach of steel.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:05 AM

Default two faves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
(I'm still in dire need of the best Italian food and an amazing pizzeria)
Josephine's (http://www.josephinesitalian.com - broken link)

Collina's Italian Cafe (Better than Star Pizza, IMO.)

Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Josephine's (http://www.josephinesitalian.com - broken link)

Collina's Italian Cafe (Better than Star Pizza, IMO.)
you got to be kidding me
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Buildings/HoustonDT5-3-07048.jpg (broken link) from Houston Downtown 5-3-07

this restaurant is right in front of my building and the pics on that website is quite misleading. first the facade of this restaurant is as bad as the rear. like plastered up with the fading sign. the inside is more like a southern style CAFETERIA really. the food was so-so i guess, probably equivalent to those fast delivery pizza places in NYC (bland and kinda generic, safe for occasions in the office). no smiles from the lunch ladies and not even from the owner/cashier. the pasta, well, i guess i dont have italian taste buds for plane jane tomato sauce. personally i think the pasta (and other selections) from district7grill is a whole lot better.... the patio dining is a plus too

Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Never been, but I guess I could take your word for it. Seeing as how Houston isn't really an Italian city. Not like NY, Chicago, Miami, or New England.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Indeed. It's good enough for me and quite a few other Houstonians. I don't eat Italian often (hardly ever). Italian isn't exactly our forte in Texas. The Houston Pavilions are going up across the street so it may get a fresh coat of paint, if it stays. I hope not. We like our hole in the walls down here, thanks. This ain't NYC. Accept it, move on, or move back!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Derek1, you are mentioning some of the finer eating establishments in Houston, and they are wonderful; however, you are missing the boat on one issue.
The average middle or upper middle class person is not going to eat at any of the restaurants you mention on a daily basis, because they are just too pricey. One a month, once a week, once a quarter...yes...but not daily.
In Chicago, for example, you could eat 365 days a year at a different wonderful mom and pop type restaurant with first class cuisine for less than $15-20 per person. You CANNOT do this in Houston.
Houston is loaded with franchise restaurants, and, if you do not believe this, look it up on the internet.
What city, folks, has the most franchise restaurants in America? And the most ***** bars/dance clubs/strip joints (whatever you want to call it)? Take a wild guess: starts with an H***ton...
Granted Houston has some wonderful top level cuisine, but, when you live there and eat out daily, you do not go to those places every day to eat. Trust me, you do not.
You don't live in Houston, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston