Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times

Advertisements

Thing is, if you want to, you can do the urban downtown living thing, paying about the same as you did for the little dumpy place you were renting in NYC, and have two or three times the space. And you can still have a car if you wanted. You just wouldn't have to use it every time you went out.

I'd like to do at least a year in NYC, just for the experience, but if I was to do it right now I'd be the homeless guy sleeping outside your place.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,496,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Well, having lived in the cities you mention as well as Houston:

My 400 square foot (euphemistically termed) "1 room" apartment in NYC featured 1920's "charm" (meaning plumbing pipes running through the room, which you could hear when someone else flushed; cracked plaster walls, and a "kitchen" that was actually a broom closet) and a view of the airshaft. Now, when you walked out the front door, it was one block to Central Park West and one block to Lincoln Center, so you can see why I paid $1,500 a month for it. You just had to remember to step over the homeless person in the door as you departed. Of course, there are all the fabulous things you mention about NYC, and I agree with them wholeheartedly--but I can get the same fix with a one-week vacation to the City per year.

Meanwhile, for about the same monthly, I live in a secure, 3,000 square foot ranch style home here in Houston, with a yard for my dogs (no more standing on the sidewalk with the baggie). Oh, and my house in Houston features Air Conditioning, which my NYC apt did NOT. I have my own TWO private autos to get around, vs. riding the subway with who-knows-what.

As for San Diego, it was just marvelous. The weather was utterly fantastic. Unfortunately, as a friend of mine from Dallas (originally from San Diego) pointed out: you can jog on the beach on another perfect California day, or you can have a high-rise condo with a skyline view, a BMW, jet vacations to wherever you desire, etc--he was looking at moving back to SD, but couldn't reconcile giving up everything he has in Dallas just so he can jog on the beach on a perfect day.

Buffalo and Chicago: great places if you don't mind winter. I personally can't stand winter; I lived in Minneapolis for 2 years and nearly died. Just plain don't like snow---it's a personal thing, I know, and most of them can't take the heat/humidity here. For me, give me palm trees and heat over shoveling snow any day of the week.

I will say this, however, about your post: You are 100%, absolutely, positively correct about this: it is what you make it. If you move to Boston and say, "I hate all this cold weather! I don't like seafood (me, I can't eat it, I'm allergic to iodine so shellfish are a no-no)! These people talk funny! I'm not a Red Sox fan!", then, you will be 100% miserable in Boston. If, on the other hand, you move there and say, "Wow, what an adventure!", you'll quickly enjoy all the wonders Boston (a great city) has to offer.

So, anybody who moves to Houston and EXPECTS it to be Boston, or Chicago, or San Diego, is going to be sad and disappointed. If, however, they (like you) try to warm up to the city, try to explore and learn and have a good time, they will come to love the place.

BTW, it took me a year; the first year I lived here, I hated it. Now it's my favorite place I've ever lived, and here is my own list of former residences: Dallas, San Antonio, Waco, Corpus Christi, Los Angeles, New York City (Upper West Side), Minneapolis/St. Paul, , Tulsa, Little Rock, Nashville, Atlanta. I've lived in Mega-Cities and small cities; I've come to realize Houston offers the best COMPROMISE between all these choices.
This post gets the award for best post of the year. It's well-reasoned, thoughtful and most importantly, it's fair. And, this is the point I try to communicate on City-Data. Hell, it's the reason I joined City-Data after lurking for a bit. I ran across this site by accident while researching real estate, but now... well... I digress. Anyhow, Houston is what it is. It is not static, but it will never be New York or San Francisco or Chicago. Accepting Houston as Houston is the way to go. Happiness is what it is and such.

And yes, EE, this attitude will make every city you're in just a little bit better (even Sugarland) just like a negative attitude will make every place a little bit worse than it actually is. It's all relative. Einstein had a little theory about relativity, and while I'm a Texan and don't know nuthin' 'bout science, I'm pretty sure we can make his theory stretch to include attitudes about living situations.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
but it will never be New York or San Francisco or Chicago.
And they will never be Houston.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And they will never be Houston.
Precisely.

Try getting a breakfast taco at 2am in Seattle. That's what I'm talkin' about. If I don't see chorizo dripping grease and saturating my tortilla, I'm not a happy drunkard. Houston may not be the only place in the world that can offer that, but it's one of the biggest things that brought me back to this city. Seriously. Breakfast tacos brought me back to Houston. Now that I type it, it looks like an odd reason. Made sense at the time though.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times
Love, Peace and Taco Grease.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:29 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,321,687 times
Plenty of people walking on Westheimer between Hwy 6 and the Galleria, I see them everyday.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:48 PM

471 posts, read 853,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasthekid View Post
precisely.

Try getting a breakfast taco at 2am in seattle. That's what i'm talkin' about. If i don't see chorizo dripping grease and saturating my tortilla, i'm not a happy drunkard. Houston may not be the only place in the world that can offer that, but it's one of the biggest things that brought me back to this city. Seriously. Breakfast tacos brought me back to houston. Now that i type it, it looks like an odd reason. Made sense at the time though.
qed

Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
qed
Er... ok.

By the way, look what's within walking distance for both you and I:
tacosagogo.com

You ought to walk over to the Continental some night a catch an authentic Texas band then go next door for some excellent tex-mex. Whenever I go to the Continental, I walk. It's not even in my neighborhood, but I manage.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 PM

84 posts, read 205,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Er... ok.
Q.E.D.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 PM

He doesn't want tacos, dude. He wants muscles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston