Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 AM

471 posts, read 850,738 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My fiance and I just relocated from San Francisco to Houston this past weekend due to work reasons. I am from a big city in SW Europe while she is from the east coast but we had both been living in San Francisco (most fabolous city in the country along with Miami in my opinion) for a few years. Texas has a horrible reputation in the Bay Area but we decided to give it a try.

We moved into midtown Houston this past weekend as recommended by local realtors. We are litterally shocked to see that nobody walks, not even to make it to the grocerie store across the street. We took a walk to Montrose area and realized that something was wrong due to the lack of sidewalks, pedestrian crossing, and the way most people in cars seemed to be looking at us as if we were crazy.

We only have one car and were planning for one of us to use public transports but it would seem like a crazy idea according to the few locals we spoke to.

Could somebody please share some light on this? I am a little concerned because my fiance being from the DC Area thinks that she is safe walking around in Houston and I am just not so sure since nobody else walks. She is not ready to give up her walking lifestyle but I want to make sure that she will be ok if I am not with her when I'll be traveling.

Last night we headed for the 24 hour fitness in Midtown and realized that everybody DRIVES to the gym from midtown even though it's only few blocks away from most apartment complexes in midtown. Why? Is it really so usafe? Why this lifestyle in Houston? The heat is not even bad yet.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Um, have you noticed how muggy and warm it is outside? Multiple that by 3 for July-September and then you'll understand why no one walks. And if it's not the heat, it's the flooding down pours.

Also, a huge portion of the people you see downtown/uptown/midtown/medical center live 30-40 miles away. They can't really walk to work.

PS-no one walks in Miami either unless their shopping in the Grove or on South Beach

Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Welcome to Texas, Roberto!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,733,169 times
In Houston, for the majority of the year it is either 90 degrees and baking or 80 degrees and raining, which is not conducive to a pleasant stroll. Add to that lack of infrastructure for walking in many parts of the city and a general stigma in the South that "only poor people walk" and I think you got all your bases covered.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Hey, but here's the postive, we don't have near the Bum and Street Filth problem than San Fran has because no one is out on the streets!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Hi all,
My fiance and I just relocated from San Francisco to Houston this past weekend due to work reasons. I am from a big city in SW Europe while she is from the east coast but we had both been living in San Francisco (most fabolous city in the country along with Miami in my opinion) for a few years. Texas has a horrible reputation in the Bay Area but we decided to give it a try.
I have to be honest, you kinda lost me at "fabolous", but why would you leave the most "fabolous" place in the nation for a place with a terrible reputation? It sounds like Houston may have something going for it that San Fran or Miami does not... Can't imagine what that would be, though.

Quote:
We moved into midtown Houston this past weekend as recommended by local realtors. We are litterally shocked to see that nobody walks, not even to make it to the grocerie store across the street. We took a walk to Montrose area and realized that something was wrong due to the lack of sidewalks, pedestrian crossing, and the way most people in cars seemed to be looking at us as if we were crazy.
Normally motorists don't even notice pedestrians. Are you sure you weren't doing anything crazy?

Quote:
We only have one car and were planning for one of us to use public transports but it would seem like a crazy idea according to the few locals we spoke to.
Wait, I'm confused. What is public transportation?

Quote:
Could somebody please share some light on this? I am a little concerned because my fiance being from the DC Area thinks that she is safe walking around in Houston and I am just not so sure since nobody else walks. She is not ready to give up her walking lifestyle but I want to make sure that she will be ok if I am not with her when I'll be traveling.
As with any metroplex, there are going to be less desirable areas and there are going to be defective people. I doubt very much that the relative danger here is more than any encountered in San Fran and certainly not like DC. People do jog and walk in this town but not for excursions to the store or to run simple errands. This town is completely unzoned and extremely spread out so you will be dealing with greater linear distances, for one thing.

Also, she may not be ready to give up her walking lifestyle now but its only May. She may be forced to reconsider in August.

Quote:
Last night we headed for the 24 hour fitness in Midtown and realized that everybody DRIVES to the gym from midtown even though it's only few blocks away from most apartment complexes in midtown. Why? Is it really so usafe? Why this lifestyle in Houston? The heat is not even bad yet.
I couldn't really tell you. I doubt this is a safety thing unless its safety from getting run over by a car on your way to the gym. I wouldn't read too much into and I wouldn't make too many judgements this early in my Houston career. I'm sure you've been served a culture shock but you'll get used to it.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
There's a lack of sidewalks in Montrose? That's news to me.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Um, have you noticed how muggy and warm it is outside? Multiple that by 3 for July-September and then you'll understand why no one walks. And if it's not the heat, it's the flooding down pours.

Also, a huge portion of the people you see downtown/uptown/midtown/medical center live 30-40 miles away. They can't really walk to work.

PS-no one walks in Miami either unless their shopping in the Grove or on South Beach
Not true. South Beach is very walkable, not only for shopping reasons. So are Brickell and Downtown area with the METRO system. Coral Gables and the Grove as well. You also have a commuter train all the way from Palm Beach. There are also loads of taxis which are absent in Houston. So the weather does not explain Houston so much.

We are actually enjoying the weather right now. One thing we both were sick of was being cold every single night of the year when we went out in San Francisco.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
We are actually enjoying the weather right now. One thing we both were sick of was being cold every single night of the year when we went out in San Francisco.
Good. Go out and walk, and start a trend.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Hey, but here's the postive, we don't have near the Bum and Street Filth problem than San Fran has because no one is out on the streets!
Eheh, true. However, I must say they are so hooked on drugs they don't even know ehere the are or bother anybody usually. We used to live in the Lower Nob Hill/ Tender Loin area.

Are Houston bums also hooked on drugs to that degree? Or there is more crime like rapists, thieves, etc? Of that I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston