Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Sweet! I'll bring the skateboards!
I didn't see you. And I didn't see Roberto either. I thought he could hang out downtown with me and show me how to be cool and appreciate culture.

I'm busy Photoshopping people into the new pics but they'll be up soon.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:51 PM

163 posts, read 617,734 times
I'll tell you something ..................... Rice Village was busy with Pedestrian traffic today. Is it generally like this during the week? I only visited there at the weekends in the past and it was fairly quiet.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,496,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I didn't see you. And I didn't see Roberto either. I thought he could hang out downtown with me and show me how to be cool and appreciate culture.

I unfortunately couldn't get out of the office until 6 last night. Try as I might, I couldn't drive to midtown to "walk." Or "skateboard." Or "overuse quotation marks." But, I picked up a good friend from the airport last night (he currently calls Portland, Oregon home) and drove him around town. His thoughts on Houston are this: Spec's trumps everything, everywhere, no matter what, Houston is the be all, end all.

I drove him past the little Spec's on Montrose and Westheimer and he was ridiculously impressed with the size of the liquor store. I laughed, and gave him my best BTO impression and said, "You ain't seen nothing yet." Then we drove right on in to midtown.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM

142 posts, read 502,591 times
Quote:

Ha! This thread has exposed me to two of my favorite posters: you and texasthekid.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times
Quote:

Did you see me down there? I was dressed like Roller Girl and even had a vintage boom box.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,496,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
Ha! This thread has exposed me to two of my favorite posters: you and texasthekid.
You know, when there was only one set of footprints in the sand...

*whispers*

..that was when jfre81 was carrying me.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Did you see me down there? I was dressed like Roller Girl and even had a vintage boom box.
No, I didn't see you out there. I was told nobody in Houston walks or goes outside unless it's to the car in the driveway, so you couldn't have been out there. Are you making this up? Was it like Total Recall where they implant memories into your brain that didn't happen? Tell me. I'd hate to think the smog and refinery fumes are making you lose your mind.

Now, if I got my cities mixed up and we were really someplace cool like Miami, then I apologize, and yes I saw you. You were hot and trendy and chic and cool. Not like those hillbillies in Texas. Do they even have paved roads there?

And TTK, lay off them Shipley's or I ain't carrying you no more. My back hurts.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,921,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Great post!

Between my husband and I, we've lived in most of the major cities & then some in the US (NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Boston, San Diego, Buffalo, Santa Barbara, Vegas) and traveled the US & world for business yet we chose to make Houston where we raise our children.

It's sometimes hard as transplants NOT to compare Houston to other places we've lived and find that it pales in comparison even if the comparison is unfair/misplaced (like the weather - how can Houston's weather ever compare to San Diego's?). Tisha is absolutely correct that you do have to come to Houston with an open mind or else you will be absolutely miserable. I was pretty miserable the first few months here (yes...I chose Houston but grudgingly so) but I'm starting to come around. For us, it came down to priorities for our family. We could have moved to NY where I grew up with all the advantages that NYC gave me as a child: the NY Phil, the MET, Carnegie Hall, Broadway, Yankee Stadium, the museums, amazing restaurants, top-notch schools, etc...but we chose Houston.

It may not be "world class" based on our experiences and travel but we're trying to find the positives, enjoying discovering our new city and researching where it is in the Houston area that we do want to set down some roots. Once we do set down roots, we're looking forward to becoming contributing members of our community and watching it (& Houston) continue to thrive.
Well, having lived in the cities you mention as well as Houston:

My 400 square foot (euphemistically termed) "1 room" apartment in NYC featured 1920's "charm" (meaning plumbing pipes running through the room, which you could hear when someone else flushed; cracked plaster walls, and a "kitchen" that was actually a broom closet) and a view of the airshaft. Now, when you walked out the front door, it was one block to Central Park West and one block to Lincoln Center, so you can see why I paid $1,500 a month for it. You just had to remember to step over the homeless person in the door as you departed. Of course, there are all the fabulous things you mention about NYC, and I agree with them wholeheartedly--but I can get the same fix with a one-week vacation to the City per year.

Meanwhile, for about the same monthly, I live in a secure, 3,000 square foot ranch style home here in Houston, with a yard for my dogs (no more standing on the sidewalk with the baggie). Oh, and my house in Houston features Air Conditioning, which my NYC apt did NOT. I have my own TWO private autos to get around, vs. riding the subway with who-knows-what.

As for San Diego, it was just marvelous. The weather was utterly fantastic. Unfortunately, as a friend of mine from Dallas (originally from San Diego) pointed out: you can jog on the beach on another perfect California day, or you can have a high-rise condo with a skyline view, a BMW, jet vacations to wherever you desire, etc--he was looking at moving back to SD, but couldn't reconcile giving up everything he has in Dallas just so he can jog on the beach on a perfect day.

Buffalo and Chicago: great places if you don't mind winter. I personally can't stand winter; I lived in Minneapolis for 2 years and nearly died. Just plain don't like snow---it's a personal thing, I know, and most of them can't take the heat/humidity here. For me, give me palm trees and heat over shoveling snow any day of the week.

I will say this, however, about your post: You are 100%, absolutely, positively correct about this: it is what you make it. If you move to Boston and say, "I hate all this cold weather! I don't like seafood (me, I can't eat it, I'm allergic to iodine so shellfish are a no-no)! These people talk funny! I'm not a Red Sox fan!", then, you will be 100% miserable in Boston. If, on the other hand, you move there and say, "Wow, what an adventure!", you'll quickly enjoy all the wonders Boston (a great city) has to offer.

So, anybody who moves to Houston and EXPECTS it to be Boston, or Chicago, or San Diego, is going to be sad and disappointed. If, however, they (like you) try to warm up to the city, try to explore and learn and have a good time, they will come to love the place.

BTW, it took me a year; the first year I lived here, I hated it. Now it's my favorite place I've ever lived, and here is my own list of former residences: Dallas, San Antonio, Waco, Corpus Christi, Los Angeles, New York City (Upper West Side), Minneapolis/St. Paul, , Tulsa, Little Rock, Nashville, Atlanta. I've lived in Mega-Cities and small cities; I've come to realize Houston offers the best COMPROMISE between all these choices.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 AM

734 posts, read 1,084,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Well, having lived in the cities you mention as well as Houston:

My 400 square foot (euphemistically termed) "1 room" apartment in NYC featured 1920's "charm" (meaning plumbing pipes running through the room, which you could hear when someone else flushed; cracked plaster walls, and a "kitchen" that was actually a broom closet) and a view of the airshaft. Now, when you walked out the front door, it was one block to Central Park West and one block to Lincoln Center, so you can see why I paid $1,500 a month for it. You just had to remember to step over the homeless person in the door as you departed. Of course, there are all the fabulous things you mention about NYC, and I agree with them wholeheartedly--but I can get the same fix with a one-week vacation to the City per year.

Meanwhile, for about the same monthly, I live in a secure, 3,000 square foot ranch style home here in Houston, with a yard for my dogs (no more standing on the sidewalk with the baggie). Oh, and my house in Houston features Air Conditioning, which my NYC apt did NOT. I have my own TWO private autos to get around, vs. riding the subway with who-knows-what.

As for San Diego, it was just marvelous. The weather was utterly fantastic. Unfortunately, as a friend of mine from Dallas (originally from San Diego) pointed out: you can jog on the beach on another perfect California day, or you can have a high-rise condo with a skyline view, a BMW, jet vacations to wherever you desire, etc--he was looking at moving back to SD, but couldn't reconcile giving up everything he has in Dallas just so he can jog on the beach on a perfect day.

Buffalo and Chicago: great places if you don't mind winter. I personally can't stand winter; I lived in Minneapolis for 2 years and nearly died. Just plain don't like snow---it's a personal thing, I know, and most of them can't take the heat/humidity here. For me, give me palm trees and heat over shoveling snow any day of the week.

I will say this, however, about your post: You are 100%, absolutely, positively correct about this: it is what you make it. If you move to Boston and say, "I hate all this cold weather! I don't like seafood (me, I can't eat it, I'm allergic to iodine so shellfish are a no-no)! These people talk funny! I'm not a Red Sox fan!", then, you will be 100% miserable in Boston. If, on the other hand, you move there and say, "Wow, what an adventure!", you'll quickly enjoy all the wonders Boston (a great city) has to offer.

So, anybody who moves to Houston and EXPECTS it to be Boston, or Chicago, or San Diego, is going to be sad and disappointed. If, however, they (like you) try to warm up to the city, try to explore and learn and have a good time, they will come to love the place.

BTW, it took me a year; the first year I lived here, I hated it. Now it's my favorite place I've ever lived, and here is my own list of former residences: Dallas, San Antonio, Waco, Corpus Christi, Los Angeles, New York City (Upper West Side), Minneapolis/St. Paul, , Tulsa, Little Rock, Nashville, Atlanta. I've lived in Mega-Cities and small cities; I've come to realize Houston offers the best COMPROMISE between all these choices.

Although you put out a good point; there is not denying that if someone is open to everything; than that person would really be happy anywhere; therefore relegating the amenities and attractions of the city itself. Would it matter to an open lively person if they were living in Houston, or Chicago or New York or San Fran. ?

Now people cannot blame the city because they cant afford to live there; the fact that A LARGE AMOUNT of people want to live within NYC causing the price to go up cannot be pointed out as a negative of NYC itself. The cost of living is something individuals need to deal with; if you cant afford it then get out period. But you cant diss the city.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,921,953 times
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you somewhat (well, with qualifications). I think cost of living IS a valid comparison point. My overall happiness with a place DOES derive in part from my surroundings. I think London is one of the most amazing cities on the face of the earth; I love it and can't wait to go again; I'm in love with it from the second I step off the plane until the second I (regretfully) step back on the plane. If you're bored in London, I can't help you. Paris, Rome, same deal.

How on earth would you make enough money to live there? If you can't live IN the city itself, then there's no advantage to being "near" it---I can get there in 6-8 hours from HOUSTON.

I loved NYC, loved living there, lived there 3 years. The first year, I probably averaged 4 hours of sleep a night. How can you SLEEP when the entire UNIVERSE is sitting outside your door?

The second year, I was a blase' New Yorker. Still loved it. Went everywhere on the subway. Knew the "in" places to eat. Jogged in the Park. Worked in a mid-town highrise. Shopped Bloomie's/Macy's/all the amazing little holeinthewall shops. Breakfast at Zabar's. Shows. Season tickets to the Met.

The third year, though (caveat: I was raised in Texas), the "cool" factor began to wear thin. I grew weary with the plumbing in the apartment. I grew weary with feeling cramped, congested all the time. I grew weary having to stop at the stores (and a different store for each thing: green grocer, drugstore, dry goods) every time I went home because I could only buy what I could carry. Grew tired of blowing subway grime out of my nose after every trip. Grew weary of stepping in urine and who knows what else. Grew weary of not having my own car.

While you certainly can't compare Houston's cultural offerings with NYC's (Houston has decent cultural offerings for anyplace OTHER than NYC, London, Paris, etc), you CAN compare quality of life. My overall quality of life (based on cost of living) is far higher here.

One more note: I had a friend, also worked midtown, who moved with his partner to Danbury and bought a condo. He rode the train in daily. I visited them. Well, ok, they had a nice condo and a car and a place to park it, and a view of a park across the street. Their commute into the city was almost 2 hours each way. That's 4 hours of your life per day you never get back. I remember thinking, "This is a nice condo and lifestyle for them, but they're 2 hours away from the city!!!! Where's the point in putting up with all of the negatives if you're not able to run across the street to the Natural History Museum, or across the park to the Met? Or take in a last-minute show or symphony or opera? Or eat at any of the millions of restaurants? Where's the advantage? I could literally live in Houston and visit (which is what I do).

Last edited by Malvie; 05-15-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston